none
USB barcode scanner windows 7 64bit issues.. The scanner is not being detected as a hid device..

Question

• I'm using a metro logic usb bar-code scanner and it works fine on 32 windows 7 ..as a hid keyboard device... but on windows 7 64 it doesn't seem to have a generic hid device driver.. ? the device or any device that would normally be a generic hid device on xp or 32 bit windows 7 ... is not loading with a generic driver.. is there any answers at all?..
    Wednesday, March 31, 2010 9:59 PM

Answers

• I fixed this ... I found out that you must plug in a usb keyboard.. first in windows 7 64 bit..  .. and while the keyboard is plugged in you must plug in the card reader or barcode scanner or any other usb HID device if the USB device is a "keyboard entry" HID style device.. like a Usb barcode scanner.. or Usb card swipe.....  If you do not plug in a usb keyboard then the Scanner will be recognized as a Unknown device....

everything is working perfectly now that i plugged in a keyboard and then plugged in the scanner..

Monday, April 5, 2010 9:32 PM

All replies

• Hi,

try connect to another computer. Is this device compatible with x64 system (call to manufacturer). You can also try Windows Virtual PC and XP Mode.

Sunday, April 4, 2010 10:34 PM
  • I fixed this ... I found out that you must plug in a usb keyboard.. first in windows 7 64 bit..  .. and while the keyboard is plugged in you must plug in the card reader or barcode scanner or any other usb HID device if the USB device is a "keyboard entry" HID style device.. like a Usb barcode scanner.. or Usb card swipe.....  If you do not plug in a usb keyboard then the Scanner will be recognized as a Unknown device....

everything is working perfectly now that i plugged in a keyboard and then plugged in the scanner..

Monday, April 5, 2010 9:32 PM
  • Which exact model of scanner are you using? I'm looking for one to use for my company and knowing yours worked makes me want to investigate whatever model it is a bit. Thanks in advance.
    Sunday, August 14, 2011 4:09 AM
  • had the same problem...

Unplugged the USB Keyboard and plugged in the Barcode Reader, device detected again successfully.

Thanks!

Monday, August 5, 2013 3:13 PM
  • Check out this related talk: Reading USB HID barcode scanner input without knowing VID&PID
    stackoverflow.com/questions/12497105/reading-usb-hid-barcode-scanner-input-without-knowing-vidpid
    Monday, October 20, 2014 7:10 AM