none
Open with explorer showing other folders RRS feed

• Question

• When a user clicks on the Open with explorer from a document library, they can navigate upward out of the document library and view all the SharePoint folders such as:

AnalyticsReports, Cache Profiles, FormServerTemplates, Lists, etc.

Is there a way to only show the document libraries rather than all of the SharePoint site's folders?

Friday, October 21, 2011 1:03 PM

Answers

All replies

• I am not sure but you can also use the content and structure option to let your users move large amounts of documents. 
    Blog: www.jasperoosterveld.com Twitter: JasITConsultant
    Friday, October 21, 2011 1:44 PM
  • Thanks Jasper, what exactly is this?
    Monday, October 24, 2011 3:42 PM
  • You only have this option when the publishing infrastructure feature is activated. You can check if you have the option by clicking at Site Actions. It should be there. Otherwise go to Site Actions, Site Settings and see if you can find content and structure there.
    Monday, October 24, 2011 3:57 PM
  • Thanks, we have that feature activated but it looks like you can only view content from the site.

Our problem is that some users may want to upload several documents and they may well use the "Open with explorer" button and process from there. The issue is that it shows more folders in that view than we would like. We only want to show document libraries and not the other SharePoint ones. This might be impossible and I'm talking ridiculous but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Monday, October 24, 2011 4:03 PM
  • Dan, you are asking a valid question :-)

You can use the content and structure to move documents. Go to the library, select the documents and click at Move.

I looked for a solution to remove the Explorer view (+ button) but I am getting a lot of 2007 results. Don't know if it works for 2010. 

Monday, October 24, 2011 4:32 PM
  • Check here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sharepointadmin/thread/300feeeb-c76d-472e-aeb9-962073029da5

You should do a search in this forum. Must be more results :)

Monday, October 24, 2011 4:33 PM
  • Thanks Jasper, I can deploy a feature to successfully turn off the "Open with explorer".

I just wanted to know if there was a way to change what is shown in the explorer view, mainly the SharePoint folders. Seems like it cannot be done, oh well.

Monday, October 24, 2011 8:35 PM
  • Hi,

Firstly, you can break the permission inheritance on this document library, then only grant them permission on this library, check the effect.

Thanks,

Rock Wang

Regards, Rock Wang Microsoft Online Community Support
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 8:17 AM