none
Procedure for Exchange 2013 upgrade from cu 8/9 to cu 14 RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to find out if it is possible to go straight from exchange 2013 cu 8/9 to exchange 2013 cu 14 or there are intermediate steps that should be followed?

Also what procedure should be followed for the upgrade.

We have 2 CAS servers behind a load balancer.

And 2 mailbox servers in a DAG.

Should I be upgrading 1 server, reboot that server and go to next server and so on

OR

Specific procedure should be followed?

And what backups to take before the upgrade.

And what will be the restore procedure ?

Should I keep 1 Domain Controller shutdown during the upgrade and that way in case of issues just restore the exchange servers from backup and power on this DC(and shutdown others)?

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 12:05 PM

Answers

• Hi

Yes you can as the CU will basically uninstall the current version and install the new version. Dont worry all your settings and stuff will be in place.

Yes do 1 at a time so you not dead in the water. failover your DAG and then run the maintenance scripts to pause the cluster and then resume it again.

You will need a DC running as you will upgrade the Schema and PrepareAD. Keep your DC's online.

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 12:09 PM
  • I would like to find out if it is possible to go straight from exchange 2013 cu 8/9 to exchange 2013 cu 14 or there are intermediate steps that should be followed?

Should I be upgrading 1 server, reboot that server and go to next server and so on

OR

Should I keep 1 Domain Controller shutdown during the upgrade and that way in case of issues just restore the exchange servers from backup and power on this DC(and shutdown others)?

Put the servers in maint mode before updating each one. Upgrade the MBX servers first:

https://vanhybrid.com/2015/07/20/script-putting-exchange-server-2013-into-maintenance-mode/

Any customization (web.config)/ Lync integration will have to be re-set after the CU is applied.

No reason to shutdown a DC. It wouldn't do you any good anyway.

Blog:    Twitter:   

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 12:37 PM

All replies

• Hi

Yes you can as the CU will basically uninstall the current version and install the new version. Dont worry all your settings and stuff will be in place.

Yes do 1 at a time so you not dead in the water. failover your DAG and then run the maintenance scripts to pause the cluster and then resume it again.

You will need a DC running as you will upgrade the Schema and PrepareAD. Keep your DC's online.

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 12:09 PM
  • Hi,

I would challange the design. Why do you run 2 CAS and 2 MBX? I would prefer to either move to 2 multi-role Exchange servers, if your preference is to avoid storage constraints, or to move to three multi-role as this provides you with redundancy when one server is in maintenance.

As mentioned by Edward, the CU setup is pretty straight forward, even thoug that not every possible update path is tested. There is no need to install all interim CUs.

Due to the schema changes and other settings applied and picked up by all Exchange servers there is no need to shutdown a DC.

Thomas Stensitzki - MCSM, MCM, MCSE, MCSA, MCITP - Blog: http://justcantgetenough.granikos.eu/

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 12:21 PM

OR

Put the servers in maint mode before updating each one. Upgrade the MBX servers first:

https://vanhybrid.com/2015/07/20/script-putting-exchange-server-2013-into-maintenance-mode/

Any customization (web.config)/ Lync integration will have to be re-set after the CU is applied.

No reason to shutdown a DC. It wouldn't do you any good anyway.

Blog:    Twitter:   

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 12:37 PM
  • Hi,

As above mentioned, if you have Microsoft Exchange Server 2013 installed, you can upgrade directly it to the latest Exchange 2013 cumulative update or service pack. 

As the computer you've installed cumulative update on is a member of a database availability group (DAG), you should first place the DAG member into maintenance mode. Please follow the steps in Performing maintenance on DAG members section:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/74be3f97-ec0f-4d2a-b5d8-7770cc489919(v=exchg.150)#Pm

In addition, I have found the following article which introduces the detailed steps to install updates in exchange DAG:

http://enterpriseit.co/microsoft-exchange/install-exchange-update-rollups-on-dag/

Regards,

David Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 13, 2016 2:35 AM
  • Hi,

How about the issue? Are above replies helpful to you?

If the issue is resolved, please mark some helpful replies as answers, that will encourage people to take time out to help you. 

Thanks,

David Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 24, 2016 9:03 AM