General mail failure. Quit Microsoft Excel, restart the mail system, and try again. RRS feed

• Question

• Any update to this problem? More and more users having issue after Windows 10 v1709 Creators update.  Using office 2010 Pro.
    Monday, January 8, 2018 8:00 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on your description, this problem appeared after upgrading to Windows 10 version 1709. 

Do you try to send Excel as an attachment and get this error message?

How about Word and other Office programs?

First I suggest you try to send Word document as an attachment and re-try Excel.

Then please try to repair Office application:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/repair-an-office-application-7821d4b6-7c1d-4205-aa0e-a6b40c5bb88b

Any updates please let me know, I'm glad to help you.

Regards,

Emi

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, January 9, 2018 3:03 AM
  • I had same issue and so far this has fixed it for me and a lot of my users cant hurt anything as far as I can tell.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/creator-update-excel-2016-general-mail-failure/07c820b6-3f5c-4a2d-bc2c-a051ec1effbf

Tuesday, January 9, 2018 12:58 PM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance. 

Regards,

Emi

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, January 12, 2018 10:00 AM
  • For anyone out there using windows 10 - after update 1709 - The only thing we have found to have worked is to look at your installed apps for each user and look for any pre-installed apps for office/office 365.  These will not appear in your installed programs & features.  For us, we had office 2016 pro plus installed.  So when you click on the start button and scroll through the apps, we would see one app listed for 'Excel' and then another right below it:  'Excel 2016'.  All of the MS apps had double entries like this.  What you need to do is to right click on all of the unnecessary office apps (for us it was the plain 'excel', 'word', etc.) and click uninstall for all of them.  Reboot the PC, login as the user and the excel file-send feature will work again.  **You will have to do this for each user**

It seems that microsoft's updates are breaking their own programs.

Friday, October 12, 2018 7:12 PM