none
Best Practice for Ejecting / Dismounting Storage Space

Question

• Storage Spaces - anyone know how to "safely remove" one?

I have three USB external drives pooled together in a single Storage Space, love it.  But I can't find out how to unplug the USB plug (or undock my Surface) safely.

If I just remove the USB/undock (as I've been doing so far), it hasn't really failed catastrophically, but it has to do repair quite often - causing terrible performance on the pool but also definitely not good for me to be causing problems.  I don't want to destroy my data.

And one other Storage Pool question: my Surface Pro 3 reads my Storage Pool file in Windows 8.1 (where I created it) and in Windows 10 (dual boot). But I see threads mentioning not being able to access the pool after a clean install. I thought I could plug those 3 drives into any Windows 8.1 PC and access the pool?

Shawn Keene

Monday, June 8, 2015 1:30 PM

Answers

• Are you still having the problem?

Have you tried to power off your Surface Pro 3 first then unplug the external drives?

Bruce Wooding Windows Outreach Team- IT Pro Windows for IT Pros on TechNet

Friday, July 10, 2015 1:38 AM

All replies

• Hi,

When you unplug hard disk from storage pool, it is actually the process of hard disk replacing. Refer to Storage Spaces Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) “How do I replace a physical disk?” section, there are instruction about how to remove a hard disk from storage pool (command, PowerShell)

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/11382.storage-spaces-frequently-asked-questions-faq.aspx#How_do_I_replace_a_physical_disk

Storage Spaces records information about pools and storage spaces on the physical disks that compose the storage pool. Therefore, your pool and storage spaces are preserved when you move an entire storage pool and its physical disks from one computer to another. But it is good for Windows server 2012 and I am not sure that it also applies to Windows 8.1. Since we do have limitation on this kind of test, I hope someone could do the test or search some information online for us: )

Regards,

D. Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 11, 2015 7:52 AM
  • That works to remove a drive from the pool, but it also erases all the data from the disk and requires that the remaining disks have enough space to take on that load.  This is not my goal, and I don't want to move or erase data.

I have 3 drives plugged in (one single Storage Space).  All drives connect to a hub, and then to my Surface.  I want to take my Surface with me, but I can't figure out how to warn Windows that I am about to unplug all the drives.  The "safely remove hardware" doesn't work.

Shawn Keene

Thursday, June 25, 2015 2:50 AM
  • Are you still having the problem?

Have you tried to power off your Surface Pro 3 first then unplug the external drives?

Bruce Wooding Windows Outreach Team- IT Pro Windows for IT Pros on TechNet

Friday, July 10, 2015 1:38 AM
  • You know I think I'm willing to just go with that.  It seems like Storage Space is probably really best designed for servers, or at the very least a steady state machine that isn't subject to hot-swaps all the time. 

Shawn Keene

Friday, July 10, 2015 1:56 AM
  • This is a shame that we have to resort to turning off the device in order to safely remove the storage. I am in a very similar position to the OP, what I have found is that if any one of the drives is disconnected the pool immediately seems to stop and so far no harm to my data, but knowing how RAID 0 works I am very nervous about doing this due to data corruption. the best I have found so far is go to disk management and make the disk offline, then disconnect the drives. when you reconnect the drives you then need to bring the disk online again, it's a bit of a mess about to be honest and I thought the eject hardware safely would eject/dismount the entire storage space. there is no option to eject the hard drive from This PC either, this is still applicable in Windows 10 1511, pretty poor since storage spaces has been around since Windows 8/2012. Servers of course are designed to be on 24x7 and perhaps don't have the same requirement to eject the storage space, you would most likely migrate the data and destroy it rather than eject it, but for a consumer PC/Laptop/Tablet these very devices are designed for regular connections and swapping of drives.

Steve

Tuesday, December 29, 2015 6:28 PM
  • I have 2 external drives setup as a mirrored-pair storage space. Whenever I want to disconnect them, I just put my pc into sleep (or hibernate), then power the drives off, then bring the pc back up. I've done this literally hundreds of times without any problem; the drives have never needed to resync/repair. It beats me why Microsoft has not included a live storage space ejection option.
    Wednesday, December 30, 2015 9:35 AM