OneDrive - Company Wide File Sharing RRS feed

• Question

• I've just spent an exhausting four hours on the phone with MS technical support, it appears they lack basic product knowledge. What I need to do is create a company wide shared folder in OneDrive.

The problems I'm experiencing are:-

- The default group 'Everyone' doesn't appear to be available when sharing folders in OneDrive.

- Any folder shared via OneDrive has an expiry date set in the OneDrive admin console. There doesn't appear to be a means to vary this per folder or any way to share a folder inside the company on a permanent basis.

- Files and folders 'Shared with me' when synced to machines appear under sharepoint > username > file/folder name, not inside OneDrive.

Is anyone aware of any way around this mess. It appears that MS have omitted basic functionality available in Dropbox, Google Drive and other similar products. This leaves us paying more money for an alternative product or putting up with a system so byzantine that I fear many of our users will not understand it.  
    Tuesday, June 6, 2017 12:34 PM

All replies

• Hi toomanyairmiles,

By "OneDrive", are you referring to OneDrive for Business which is signed in with your work account?

>> - The default group 'Everyone' doesn't appear to be available when sharing folders in OneDrive

Do you mean the Anyone option mentioned in this article that allows you to create a link that anyone can use to access the document or folder, even if they're not logged in to Office 365 or OneDrive? If the option is grayed out, I am afraid that it has been disabled by administrator to prevent external sharing.

>> - Any folder shared via OneDrive has an expiry date set in the OneDrive admin console. There doesn't appear to be a means to vary this per folder or any way to share a folder inside the company on a permanent basis.

As far as I know, shared links do not expire by default on OneDrive for Business. We can only set an expiration duration on anonymous guest links, see this blog.

>> - Files and folders 'Shared with me' when synced to machines appear under sharepoint > username > file/folder name, not inside OneDrive.

Based on my test, from the web interface for OneDrive for Business, there is no button to directly sync the "shared with me" folder to local computer, but you can sync folders listed there one by one by entering the folder and then clicking the sync button. Regarding the local path, according to the link below, the folder will show up on your computer under the path "C:\Users\{login user name}\SharePoint\":

https://www.eduhk.hk/ocio/content/faq-how-sync-shared-me-onedrive-business-folders-your-local-computer

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 7, 2017 6:27 AM