none
Corrupted Excel File Repair RRS feed

• Question

• Hey, here's the complete story of my problem, I really hope anyone will have a solution

I have an XLS file that refused to open up a few days ago, tried unlocker program, didn't help, tried to copy it/upload it, nothing

Did CHKDSK, and discovered it was sitting on a bad cluster, the cluster was repaired, but the data was pretty damaged.

I tried that excel "repair" tool which the open file options offer you, and it repaired only something like 3% of the data.

So I tried some external softwares for this kind of stuff, couldn't find one who'll top the excel's tool result.

I almost gave up, when a friend told me to try "microsoft-word-recovery". This had the most amazing results. Even thou not being made for excel, it did recover many data, unfortunately, still not all of it, and only the english letters, and not in an excel format (so many words are interrupted with many codes and stuff).

But this gave me a lot of hope, I've managed to notice that the way the data that "word-recovery" recovered, was not presented like the original file, but actually by the saving times I did, I mean, a chronological way, which means excel has some data base somewhere. Am I right ?

So, what can I do and what shall I use ? if there's a software that will help me I'm willing to pay, if there's an excel expert who think he's got it, please tell me

Thanks A LOT !

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 10:24 PM

All replies

• Hi Gal,

Check disk command only repairs the bad sector of the hard drive not the corrupted data of it. As your excel file is corrupted then, you can try Stellar Phoenix Excel Repair software. It has the free demo version and you can also see the preview of your corrupted data in the free version. Download from here: https://www.stellarinfo.com/repair-excel-file.php

Good Luck!

Thursday, January 5, 2017 5:45 AM
  • Hey Robin

Thanks for the answer

By the preview I got for the demo of the one you suggested, I see no difference between it results and other softwares I tried (maybe only that it also showed me there are inner notes I wrote, but since I can't open them in the preview I canno't know if the data was recovered or not)

I'll try to be more specific, there are two major problems in this one, first is that it has varity of language (non-latin characters), second is that it might have been physically erased (cause the bad cluster)

I can think of two solutions, the first is if anyone knows a way to "pass" the windows repair system prefferences, and MAKE IT commit restoration to data (cause as you know system restoration don't apply on files etc..)

the second one is doing recovering manually, as I started to do thanks to Microsoft-Word-Recovery I used, which main problem with is was the language barrier (as in, doesn't show me any non english characters)

If there's any technichian here who think's he's got knowledge to perform this kind of stuff, I will even pay if needed

It's realy important to me :(

Thursday, January 5, 2017 6:17 AM
  • In this case, you can go with the data recovery services. I took the data recovery service for my corrupt Word document from Stellar Data Recovery. They will analyse your file and let you know the recovery is possible or not. They repaired my file, and I hope yours too. You can contact them at support@stellarinfo.com

Good Luck!

Friday, January 6, 2017 3:24 AM
  • Thanks again Robin, I'm already in touch with them

I have a lot of hope thanks to that microsoft-word-recovery software, which proved that there is some savings data base somewhere and thats how it managed to show my continual editing of the file through the years.

Hope they'll manage to help me and than the first thing I'll do is find a backing up server <_< dumbass me

Friday, January 6, 2017 8:54 PM
  • Hi Gal277,

Have you tried referring to the article below to see if the file could be repaired by setting the calculation option to manual or  using external references to link to the corrupted workbook?

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Repair-a-corrupted-workbook-153a45f4-6cab-44b1-93ca-801ddcd4ea53#__toc337637262

I know there might be some third-party methods could be used to recover the workbook, but Microsoft does not guarantee the safety of that information. 

Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 2:53 AM
  • You can try one of the manual methods to repair Excel file by Open and Repair option.

Go to File>>Open

Open wizard will be displayed, Select the corrupt excel file

In Open drop down menu select Open and Repair.

You can also recover your data and select Extract data option to extract values and formulas from corrupt excel sheet. Otherwise download excel repair tool from http://excel.filerepairtools.com

• Edited by Lekhdeeraj Wednesday, February 13, 2019 7:16 AM
    Friday, May 19, 2017 6:39 AM
  • Here is the blog which describes common excel errors and how to repair these errors with easy steps. Just follow the steps carefully as mentioned and make a copy of excel file first. Read more at https://www.filerepairtools.com/tips/top-5-methods-repair-excel-files/
    Tuesday, February 5, 2019 7:06 AM