none
Throttling Exchange 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• I see that I can limit outgoing mail in Exchange 2013 to 1 a minute.  Is there a way I can throttle more?  Like 1 every 2 minutes? Also is there a way to limit the number of times that emails can be sent to a single recipient in a specific chunk of time?

We tried some scripting based on the following articles:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/office/exchange-server-2010/bb232205(v=exchg.141)

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/exchange/server-health-and-performance/Set-ThrottlingPolicy?view=exchange-ps

In particular we tried this:

New-ThrottlingPolicy -Name UserLimitSent -RecipientRateLimit 50 -MessageRateLimit 1

it did not work - it seems it only works for POP3 or IMAP4 clients that use SMTP.  We use Outlook and OWA.

How do we throttle Exchange 2013 with the type of granularity we are wanting?

Monday, July 1, 2019 2:18 AM

All replies

• Hi,

With my research, we could partly achieve your requirements. However, we could only set the number of messages per minute, and the number must be integer. And the number of times that outbound messages to a single recipient only could be set daily.

For message throttling on Receive connectors:

You could run cmdlets New-ReceiveConnector and Set-ReceiveConnector, with parameter MessageRateLimit, set the maximum number of messages per minute that can be sent by a single source.

For message rate throttling on users:

• The MessageRateLimit parameter specifies the number of messages per minute that can be submitted to transport by POP3 or IMAP4 clients that use SMTP. It doesn’t support MAPI.
    • The RecipientRateLimit parameter to limit the number of recipients that a user can address in a 24-hour period.

Regards

Kelvin Deng

Tuesday, July 2, 2019 3:49 AM
  • Thanks for the feedback.  One clarification needed.  You write:

"You could run cmdlets New-ReceiveConnector and Set-ReceiveConnector, with parameter MessageRateLimit, set the maximum number of messages per minute that can be sent by a single source."

What do you mean by a single source?

Also would this be easier to do in Exchange 2016 or 2019?

Wednesday, July 3, 2019 9:43 AM
  • Any further clarification you can provide?
    Thursday, July 4, 2019 9:21 AM
  • Hi

Message throttling options that are available on Receive connectors. The MessageRateLimit parameter specifies the maximum number of messages that can be sent by a single client IP address per minute. It applies both on Exchange 2016 and Exchange 2019. For more information, you could refer to the links below:

Message throttling on Receive connectors

Receive connectors

Regards,

Kelvin Deng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, July 8, 2019 1:33 AM
  • Thanks. I will try the suggestion and get back.
    Tuesday, July 9, 2019 6:56 PM
  • Hi ,

I am writing here to confirm with you how the thing going now?

If you need further help, please provide more detailed information, so that we can give more appropriate suggestions

Regards,

Kelvin Deng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, July 12, 2019 1:52 AM