none
How to set retention policy by the expired date input by user RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All, I am a beginner of sharepoint. I am working in a company using sharepoint as a support (super-user).

My boss request me to study how to set retention period for sharepoint document library, i just know the default policy is set by "created on date" or modified on date" + ____ years/month/date

But our requirement is to allow user input the expired date (the date need to delete / email user that the document has been expired), not by a retention period.

Can anyone show me the steps for doing this? Is it just easy steps to click on the library add some field to it is ok? As i am really new to sharepoint, i am so nervous on where & how to set this things. Especially i totally dont know web program or script. I don't want to lost my job, pls pls pls help to guide me step by step..pls.

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, December 9, 2010 6:10 AM not programming (From:SharePoint - Development and Programming (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Thursday, December 9, 2010 5:48 AM

Answers

• In the retention policy, you can use any date fields on you list, so if you simply add a new field to you list (where you leave the user set the data at which the content will expire) and you will be able to use this date field in the retention policy rule.

To email the user, you will actually need to use a workflow. You can simply set the retention policy action to start a workflow that emails the user and then deletes the document.

Florin DUCA
    MCSE 2003 +Sec,MCTS conf/dev WSS3/MOSS, MCITP/MCPD SP 2010, MCPD ASP.Net 3.5, MCTS ISA 2006
    Logica Business Consulting, France
    • Marked as answer by Peng Lei Thursday, December 16, 2010 2:59 AM
    Thursday, December 9, 2010 5:56 AM