none
Outlook 2010 Quick Steps email problem RRS feed

• Question

• On one of my computers Quick Steps will not let me save/add/edit any Quick Step with an email address. If I try to add an email addres to "To Manager" and then hit "Save" nothing happens.  The editing window stays open and I must close it by clicking"X".  If the email is a know person the email address changes to the person's name, yet the address in not saved and I must click "X" to exit the editing window. 

I've tried "repair".  This was an install over Office 2007 on Win 7 64.

• Edited by SoundMix Monday, May 24, 2010 5:20 PM edit
    Monday, May 24, 2010 5:17 PM

Answers

• Thank you for helping!

This happens with all email.  I deleted the To Manager.  I cannot create a new one with an email, (without an email entered, allows me to create a new one).  When enter an email it freezes when I click finish. And I must click the "X" button to exit.  This happens with the old account and the new one I created as you suggested.  I've noticed several others having the same problem.  Other Quick Steps without email work fine.

Paul

New finding with old and new account.  Some emails are accepted others are not.  All phony addresses work.  Some of the addresses, mine, my wifes, and random others do not.  Some in my adress book do.  Does this mean my pst is corrupted? Can I fix it?

I think it ok now.  I clicked on "Address Book" in the ribbon.  I then chose the mobile address book and then reverted back to the correct one.  Quick seps is now working.  WEIRD!!!!

Sally...thanks again for helping.  Now all I need to figure out is why previews don't appear in Word...but that's for another day, another group.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 11:41 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Before we go further, I would like to confirm if the problem occurs when you selecting any of the contacts in the address book, even your own email address?

Based on the current situation, this issue may occur when there are some problems with the quick steps or the Outlook profile. We can troubleshoot the issue by the steps below:

Step 1: Create a new quick step

==========

1.       In Outlook, click the Home tab, in the Quick Steps Group, click the button in the right bottom to open Manage Quick Steps window.

2.       Click To Manager in the left pane, and then click the Delete button.

3.       Click New > Custom from the left pane to create a custom quick step. Type the name as “To Manager”, and select the actions as Forward.

4.       Try to select a new email here to create the quick step. Then, click Save to save the changes.

Can we save the settings at this time? If the problem persists, let’s continue.

Step 2: Test with a new Outlook profile

=============

We can try to create a new profile to test the issue. Here are the detailed steps on how to create a new profile to test this issue

1.    Exit Outlook.

2.    Go to Start > Control Panel, click or double-click Mail.

Mail appears in different Control Panel locations depending upon the version of the Microsoft Windows operating system, Control Panel view selected, and whether a 32- or 64-bit operating system or version of Outlook is installed.

The easiest way to locate Mail is to open Control Panel in Windows, and then in the Search box at the top of window, type Mail. In Control Panel for Windows XP, type Mail in the Address box.

Note    The Mail icon appears after Outlook starts for the first time.

The title bar of the Mail Setup dialog box contains the name of the current profile. To select a different existing profile, click Show Profiles, select the profile name, and then click Properties.

3.    Click Show Profiles. Choose Prompt for a profile to be used.

4.    Click Add.

5.    Type a name for the profile, and then click OK.

6.    Start Outlook, and choose this new profile.

If this problem does not occur in the new Outlook profile, the old Outlook is corrupted. We can delete that and use a new Outlook profile.

Please take your time to try the suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 5:48 AM
  • Thank you for helping!

This happens with all email.  I deleted the To Manager.  I cannot create a new one with an email, (without an email entered, allows me to create a new one).  When enter an email it freezes when I click finish. And I must click the "X" button to exit.  This happens with the old account and the new one I created as you suggested.  I've noticed several others having the same problem.  Other Quick Steps without email work fine.

Paul

New finding with old and new account.  Some emails are accepted others are not.  All phony addresses work.  Some of the addresses, mine, my wifes, and random others do not.  Some in my adress book do.  Does this mean my pst is corrupted? Can I fix it?

I think it ok now.  I clicked on "Address Book" in the ribbon.  I then chose the mobile address book and then reverted back to the correct one.  Quick seps is now working.  WEIRD!!!!

Sally...thanks again for helping.  Now all I need to figure out is why previews don't appear in Word...but that's for another day, another group.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 11:41 AM
  • I am glad to hear that the problem is resolved. Thank you for your time and effort on this issue. J

Regards,

Sally Tang

Thursday, May 27, 2010 9:03 AM
  • Has this issue been resolved?  See a message from another Moderator about Quick Step dialogues pointing to the "Global Address Book", a feature in Windows 7.  I've had the same issue as indicated above in not being able to save Quick Steps requiring an email address.  I've tried changing the default in my address book and this doesn't help. 

Has a resolution been found for this issue?

To follow up on this and future reference, it was confirmed that was not fixed in RTM but is on the list for SP1 and may be fixed sooner.

Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
    Outlook Daily Tips | Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center
    Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook weekly newsletter

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 2:56 AM
  • For those trying to figure out this problem, I did! Instead of typing xxx@blahblah.com, type <xxx@blahblah.com>. It worked. For some reason it likes that.
    • Proposed as answer by Canu Tuesday, October 25, 2016 7:47 PM
    Friday, October 15, 2010 3:55 PM
  • JobJones - Thanks that worked for me!
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 4:50 AM
  • The above worked for me. But why such problems from a product from MS ?
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 12:24 PM
  • Thanks that worked for me as well.  I will have to remember that trick for later when my clients roll out 2010.
    Friday, May 27, 2011 10:28 PM
  • Good Deal, it worked for me too.  That is, placing the less than and greater than signs around the typed-in email address made it so that the Quick Step could be saved or finished.  Nice work JobJones.
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 11:12 PM
  • Great solution. Quick and easier than above solutions!
    Thursday, May 17, 2012 3:16 PM
  • For those trying to figure out this problem, I did! Instead of typing xxx@blahblah.com, type <xxx@blahblah.com>. It worked. For some reason it likes that.

Well done jobjones, and thanks.
    Saturday, October 27, 2012 6:05 PM
  • Great solution. This works. Amazing.
    Friday, November 9, 2012 9:09 AM
  • This worked for me as well, thanks!!
    Tuesday, October 25, 2016 7:47 PM
  • That works! Great. Do not select email from auto remembered.
    Tuesday, March 14, 2017 3:06 PM