none
Get-MessageTrackingLog cmdlet RRS feed

• Question

• I am not seeing get-messagetrackinglog cmdlet in a list of available commands.  I looked on both edge and mailbox serverss.  Is there something I need to do to make it avaiable?

Thanks in advance

Friday, October 23, 2015 4:23 PM

Answers

• You must be apart of the 'Message Tracking' or 'View-Only Recipients' Management Roles in order to use that cmdlet. You can find what roles/ rolegroups your assigned to by running

Get-ManagementRoleAssignment -RoleAssignee <youradminaccount> | ft -auto

That's assuming you have permission to run that.

You also do not need to run this in EMS. You can run this in Powershell if you load the Exchange Snap-in. Although the easiest way to see if you have permissions is to do what Andy Recommended; just 'Tab' it out.

Friday, October 23, 2015 5:39 PM
  • Hi,

What is your detailed exchange version ?

In general, we can use the Get-MessageTrackingLog cmdlet to search for message delivery information stored in the message tracking log.

Please post the error message here if you run the cmdlet unsuccessful.

In addition, you can refer to the below link to get some useful information about message tracking log:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124926(v=exchg.150).aspx

Regards,           

David

Monday, October 26, 2015 6:04 AM

All replies

• Make sure you are using the Exchange Powershell and have the necessary perms

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd638213(v=exchg.160).aspx

Look under Message tracking

do you see the cmdlet if you simply tab it out?

Twitter!: Please Note: My Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

Friday, October 23, 2015 4:50 PM
  • You must be apart of the 'Message Tracking' or 'View-Only Recipients' Management Roles in order to use that cmdlet. You can find what roles/ rolegroups your assigned to by running

Get-ManagementRoleAssignment -RoleAssignee <youradminaccount> | ft -auto

That's assuming you have permission to run that.

You also do not need to run this in EMS. You can run this in Powershell if you load the Exchange Snap-in. Although the easiest way to see if you have permissions is to do what Andy Recommended; just 'Tab' it out.

Friday, October 23, 2015 5:39 PM
  • Well, using the snap-in is not supported with 2010/2013. I think what we are both saying is that you should be using remote powershell and connecting to the Exch Server or running on the server locally using Exch PS window...  :) 

Twitter!: Please Note: My Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

Friday, October 23, 2015 5:45 PM
  • we're both right ;-)
    Friday, October 23, 2015 5:54 PM
  • Hello,

Please find the below article

Message Tracking in Exchange Server 2010/2013

Regards,

Praveen

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember to mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question.That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you Check out my latest blog posts @ Techrid.com

• Proposed as answer by Praveen Eppili Monday, October 26, 2015 5:49 PM
    Saturday, October 24, 2015 9:13 PM
  • Hi,

What is your detailed exchange version ?

In general, we can use the Get-MessageTrackingLog cmdlet to search for message delivery information stored in the message tracking log.

Please post the error message here if you run the cmdlet unsuccessful.

In addition, you can refer to the below link to get some useful information about message tracking log:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124926(v=exchg.150).aspx

Regards,           

David

Monday, October 26, 2015 6:04 AM