none
Remote Registry Connect HKLM issue access denied RRS feed

• Question

• We have MOSS 2k10 implemented . Design is like 2 FE with NLB and one BE database mirrored to standby server.

While backing up using Netbackup 7.0.1 backups stucked on indexing and Config databases. However there were credintials issue found in logs.

Whenever i try to connect from FE (node 1) to BE using Remote Registry it allows me to connect but fails to expand HKLM.. eventually it does expands HKU. Same issue is in vice versa From BE to FE (node1).

From node 2 i'm able to enter in to HKLM AND HKU. But unfortunately there are few services being shared to this FE node. Which are does not fulfill Complete Safe backup set.

Have also tried connecting from Administrator but no result.

Any Clues..

Cheers

Vaibhav Panchal

Cheers Vaibhav
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 12:54 PM

Answers

• Hi Nishant

There was Domain GPO which was culprit. Don't know how it came into picture for restricting Remote Registry for MOSS admin as well.

Post configuring the account with necessary previleges i'm able to expand HKLM on FE AND BE and vice-versa. But Now issue is still with MOSS indexing. As From APP1 still Shared Services DB is not accessible but from APP2 it is, despite of fewer services being shared with APP2 it is able to resolve MOSS farm. I'm backing up complete farm by poitning to APP2 but as Web Appl is shared with NLB so Backup also should be pointed with NLB instead of Appl Server.

Any idea Nishant

Cheers

Vaibhav Panchal

Cheers Vaibhav
    Monday, July 25, 2011 11:24 AM

All replies

• Hello Vaibhav,

Thank you for posting your question on the forums.

I have reviewed your issue and see that it appears that your issue is with the 3rd party backup utility. If you try backup using SharePoint OOB options, do you have the same issue? If not then I would recommend contacting them to see what account it's trying to use that could be producing the access denied.

Also here is the recommended backups for SharePoint:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc261687.aspx

Please remember to click 'Mark as Answer' on the post that helps you or click 'Unmark as Answer' if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Regards,
    Nishant Shah
    Microsoft Online Community Support
    Monday, July 25, 2011 9:16 AM
  • Hi Nishant

There was Domain GPO which was culprit. Don't know how it came into picture for restricting Remote Registry for MOSS admin as well.

Post configuring the account with necessary previleges i'm able to expand HKLM on FE AND BE and vice-versa. But Now issue is still with MOSS indexing. As From APP1 still Shared Services DB is not accessible but from APP2 it is, despite of fewer services being shared with APP2 it is able to resolve MOSS farm. I'm backing up complete farm by poitning to APP2 but as Web Appl is shared with NLB so Backup also should be pointed with NLB instead of Appl Server.

Any idea Nishant

Cheers

Vaibhav Panchal

Cheers Vaibhav
    Monday, July 25, 2011 11:24 AM
  • Hi Vaibhav,

Could you please explain what do you mean the Shared Services DB is not accessible from APP1 server and it is accessible when using APP2 server? Do you mean Shared Services DB is not accessible from APP1 server when using Netbackup software or when trying backup using SharePoint OOB options?

Please remember to click 'Mark as Answer' on the post that helps you or click 'Unmark as Answer' if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Regards,
    Nishant Shah
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 2:20 PM
  • Hi Vaibhav,

I have marked your response thread as answered as you were able to figure out the issue and fix it. If you have questions / issues with OOB backup/restore please post a new thread instead of continuing on this one to maintain clarity.

Regards,
    Nishant Shah
    Monday, August 1, 2011 2:25 PM