none
Certificate has expired or is not yet valid *.office.microsoft.com

Question

• Starting yesterday Outlook 2007 clients who have webcals with office.microsoft.com started getting messages stating the certificate expired 8/25/2010.  Is anyone else getting this?
    May we all make money in the sequel.
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 12:52 PM

Answers

• Hi!

The existing certificate for *.office.microsoft.com had expired and a new one was published soon after.

Any Office applications may have accessed various Office-related sites after the older certificate had expired, resulting in the security warning.

You can check which features may have accessed these related sites by clicking on File (or Tools in Outlook 2007) | Options | Trust Center | Trust Cetner settings. In the Privacy Options grouping, any of the first 4 options can access these sites, if enabled.

Thanks for posting!

Take care,

Jahawk MSFT

Friday, August 27, 2010 11:10 PM

All replies

• I'm getting it too.  any ideas?
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 2:01 PM
  • I think someone at Microsoft forgot to apply the latest cert to the office.microsoft.com server.  That or someone forgot to even apply for the new one.

I am reminded of years ago when the file extension open with search was being run from a developers box in an office somewhere and nobody realized it until one day they took out the box for development reasons and poof all the Windows clients in the world who chose to search for extension handler were sol.

This cert expiration issue seems like a similar goof has happened.

Thursday, August 26, 2010 2:09 PM
  • I'm getting the same behavior from Outlook 2010...
    string fakeEmail="jim.duncan@sharesquared.spam.com"; string realEmail=fakeEmail.Replace(".spam","")
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 3:39 PM
  • Got the same thing, at two computers, one at work and one at home. I hope they update it soon
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 4:31 PM
  • yep, me too.
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 6:19 PM
  • The certificate expiration prompts for webcals seem to have gone away sometime this afternoon.  Hopefully someone can post more information on the details of what occurred so we have information for the future.
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 11:11 PM
  • Hi!

The existing certificate for *.office.microsoft.com had expired and a new one was published soon after.

Any Office applications may have accessed various Office-related sites after the older certificate had expired, resulting in the security warning.

You can check which features may have accessed these related sites by clicking on File (or Tools in Outlook 2007) | Options | Trust Center | Trust Cetner settings. In the Privacy Options grouping, any of the first 4 options can access these sites, if enabled.

Thanks for posting!

Take care,

Jahawk MSFT

Friday, August 27, 2010 11:10 PM
  • Is this type of time gap in certificate validity going to be a norm?  This goes against the 99.x% uptime that most customers have come to expect.  I don't know that office.microsoft.com has stated an expected uptime but in the industry what was once acceptable at 99% has increased to as high as 99.99% in some cases.  This one 24 hour downtime took a chunk out of the year's uptime percentage.
    Saturday, August 28, 2010 12:51 AM
  • July 1, 2011 and the problem has occurred again. Guess we need to wait for someone at Microsoft to fix this...
    Kevin Severud CCNA Security & Wireless, MCITP:EA & EDA7 MCTS Exchange 2007, MCTS SQL 2005
    Friday, July 01, 2011 2:14 PM
  • I can confirm for you that our Office 2010 machines received the expired certificate warning starting today as well.
    Friday, July 01, 2011 2:17 PM