none
enable hyperlink option in a document library RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, 
    Is it possible to enable option to upload link to a file in document library, in the following way ? When clicked on + sign.

Thanks,
    prajK

Tuesday, April 4, 2017 4:46 PM

Answers

• Hi

a workaround

use a standard list where users will fill with doc's URL. present that list to users to permit them access the documents

Romeo Donca, Orange Romania (MCSE, MCITP, CCNA) Please Mark As Answer if my post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if the post has been helpful for you.

• Marked as answer by John.P.Smith Wednesday, April 5, 2017 10:01 AM
    Wednesday, April 5, 2017 6:54 AM
  • Hi Prajk11- don't understand why you would want to do that, but as you know libraries are for storing documents, not links. Could you explain the reasoning?

cameron rautmann

Tuesday, April 4, 2017 5:09 PM
  • Hi Prajk,

As Romeo' reply, we can create a custom list and add a Hyperlink column for store the document url.

Best Regards,

Dennis

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by John.P.Smith Wednesday, April 5, 2017 10:08 AM
    Wednesday, April 5, 2017 8:57 AM

All replies

• Hi Prajk11- don't understand why you would want to do that, but as you know libraries are for storing documents, not links. Could you explain the reasoning?

cameron rautmann

Tuesday, April 4, 2017 5:09 PM
  • Hi Cameron,

We have a limitation on the amount of space allocated on each site-collection in our organization. So to ensure we don't run out of space, we want to give hyperlinks to large documents stored in other websites, instead of uploading them on our site.

Thank you,

prajk

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 5:33 AM
  • Hi

a workaround

use a standard list where users will fill with doc's URL. present that list to users to permit them access the documents

Romeo Donca, Orange Romania (MCSE, MCITP, CCNA) Please Mark As Answer if my post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if the post has been helpful for you.

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 6:54 AM
  • Hi Prajk,

As Romeo' reply, we can create a custom list and add a Hyperlink column for store the document url.

Best Regards,

Dennis

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by John.P.Smith Wednesday, April 5, 2017 10:08 AM
    Wednesday, April 5, 2017 8:57 AM
  • Thank you Romeo, for sharing this idea.

In our case we needed to store documents as well as links both. 

I found out there is a solution that closely matches to my requirement. Please see below, although when i enable this the "upload link" option no longer shows up in the + button, but rather on the ribbon under Files tab. all the way there. 

Let me know if i can anyhow put that link option in the + button. But here is the solution i found out :

1. Go go library settings

2. Advanced setting

3. allow management of content types to yes

4. Then back to setting page, & add from existing site content types

5. We need to select " Link to a document" and add it

6. Go to your library, and from the files tab, select "upload document", there you will find the option, something like below :

• Proposed as answer by DrDukeT Monday, August 6, 2018 5:55 PM
    Wednesday, April 5, 2017 10:07 AM
  • Thanks Dennis, for helping me to understand this option. Appreciate your response. This was helpful.
    Wednesday, April 5, 2017 10:09 AM