none
Outlook 2010 crashes when clicking mailto: link

Question

• Hello, all.  So, here's the issue I'm having:
    I have two systems, both running Win7 Pro x86, both with Office 2010 Pro Plus installed (upgraded from Office Pro 2007.)
    When I click a "mailto:" link (I've only 'tested' this at Craigslist - I don't know if it happens at other sites), Outlook 2010 immediately crashes.
    I get a pop-up box stating "another version of Outlook is currently running.  Close it and try again", and then immediately get a Windows error box ("Outlook has encountered a problem....."); Outlook then closes and restarts after I OK the WER box.

From the Event Viewer:
    Event 1000, Application Error
    Faulting application name: OUTLOOK.EXE, version: 14.0.4760.1000, time stamp: 0x4ba8fefd
    Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x580e1a3b
    Faulting process id: 0x460
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cb3ca098ee1669
    Faulting application path: C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~1\Office14\OUTLOOK.EXE
    Faulting module path: unknown
    Report Id: d7211206-a893-11df-9446-00163697d2f6

And, the WER information entry:
    Event 1001, Windows Error Reporting
    Fault bucket 1833706960, type 1
    Event Name: APPCRASH
    Response: Not available
    Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
    P1: OUTLOOK.EXE
    P2: 14.0.4760.1000
    P3: 4ba8fefd
    P4: StackHash_0a9e
    P5: 0.0.0.0
    P6: 00000000
    P7: c0000005
    P8: 580e1a3b
    P9:
    P10:

Attached files:
    C:\Users\Christopher.CUPSPCS.001\AppData\Local\Temp\Low\CVR8103.tmp.cvr
    C:\Users\Christopher.CUPSPCS.001\AppData\Local\Temp\WER8508.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:
    C:\Users\Christopher.CUPSPCS.001\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_OUTLOOK.EXE_694f9faada974437a5a17f655d4e54fc6c516a2c_11bfc62d

Analysis symbol:
    Rechecking for solution: 0
    Report Id: d7211206-a893-11df-9446-00163697d2f6
    Report Status: 16

Now, it might be an issue with how Outlook 2010 handles mailto links; it might be something frelled up in Craigslist's mailto scripting.
    I did not have this issue when I was running Office 2007 on these machines. 
    Any ideas?

And, yes, I have sent feedback to Craigslist on this (complete with the same copy-pasta from the Event Viewer.)  So, we'll see if they have anything to say on it.

regards,
    Chris

MS-MVP (Media Center) [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Sunday, August 15, 2010 6:03 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What program is set as default for mailto?

Have you installed Home & Business Click 2 Run before? There is a limitation in click 2 run version that the mailto is trying to use your older version of Outlook.

If this is not the situation, try to test this issue in the safe mode. Click Start, point to All Programs, and then point to Microsoft Office. Press and hold the CTRL key, and then click Microsoft Outlook. If the problem does not occur in the safe mode, this issue might be related to some third-party add-ins in the Office program, we can try to disable them.

Please also set Outlook as the default email client on the computer.

======================

For Windows Vista/Windows 7:

----------------

1.       Click Start.

2.       Type "default programs" in the Start Search box.

3.       Click Default Programs under Programs in the search results.

4.       Now click Set your default programs.

5.       Highlight Microsoft Office Outlook or Microsoft Outlook on the left.

6.       Click Set this program as default.

7.       Click OK.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com  

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 3:28 AM
  • Hi, Sally.  Thanks for the response.

Default handler for mailto is MS Outlook (verified in Set Default Programs.)
    (Of course, since mailto crashes Outlook.........)

No, Home & Business Click2Run has never been installed on either machine.  Both machines were upgraded from Office 2007 Professional to Office 2010 Professional Plus (MAPS licenses.)  To the best of my knowledge, that upgrade operation uninstalls (or, at least, should) fully uninstall Office 2k7, and then install Office 2k10.  Given the amount of time it takes to do it, I'd say that it's a fair assessment, too.

I will try it again with Outlook running in safe mode - tomorrow (it's late here.)  But, one point to note, though: 
    There are zero third-party add-ons installed.  Every add-on that's loaded in Outlook (all 10(!) of them) at present is an MS add-on.

-Chris

MS-MVP (Media Center) [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 4:25 AM
  • Hi Chris,

What's the result after trying safe mode?

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Monday, August 23, 2010 5:08 AM
  •  

Hi,

As I have not heard from you for several days. I will go ahead and close this thread. If this issue is not resolved or you have any questions, please feel free to reply to us and this thread will be re-opened.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 8:40 AM
  • I just haven't had the time (or, sometimes, remembered) to try it.  Will do so in the next day or two.

Regards,
    Chris

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 11:56 AM
  • Yeah, a smidge of free time to play!

So, I started Outlook in safe mode, and tried it again.  Still no joy (or, maybe, some joy?) - I still get the "another version of Outlook is running..." error box; however, Outlook doesn't crash. 

And, another new tidbit:  it works on the desktop now (inexplicably.)
    Maybe time to try to uninstall & reinstall Office (if not reinstall the OS) on the laptop.
    :(

-Chris

Thursday, August 26, 2010 12:49 AM
  • Hi Chris,

The last suggestion may be uninstalling the Office program completely and reinstall it again.

You can uninstall it from Control Panel first, and click Fix it in this KB article to remove the Office programs completely from the computer:

How do I uninstall Office 2003, Office 2007 or Office 2010 suites if I cannot uninstall it from Control Panel?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

The, reboot the computer and install Office 2010 again.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Wednesday, September 01, 2010 7:28 AM
  • That's what I've been planning on doing.  However, I flat-out have not had the time (which really sucks.)

One of these days.......

-Chris

Friday, September 03, 2010 1:49 AM
  • last time i had the same issue, it turned to be OST corruption. I have created new profile and detached PST, it worked for me:)
    Sunday, May 01, 2011 6:16 AM
  • many thanks for the tidbit here, 18 months after this thread started i was having the same problem and despite reinstalling and doing all the other things mentioned here and elsewhere, i simply tried running outlook from my desktop instead of the task bar and it worked!!! How bizarre.

many thanks

ian

• Proposed as answer by ian kerry Saturday, October 06, 2012 12:07 PM
    Saturday, October 06, 2012 12:07 PM