none
Sharepoint 3.0 inaccessible following update (KB2596911)

Question

• Following update (KB2596911) we are unable to access out sharepoint site. When we try to connect, we get an error message "HTTP ERROR 404.0".

We have restarted the server, ran the "sharepoint products and technologies configuration wizard" and got an error, we restarted the "World Wide Web Publishing Service", re ran the "sharepoint products and technologies configuration wizard" and all seemed well.

We let the configuration wizard run from 4pm Thursday to 9.15am Friday and it was still on task 9 of 10. The wizard had hung so we cancelled it. As I am typing this the configuration is still in the process of cancelling.

Should I wait until the cancelation process has stopped and uninstall the update, which may take some time, or are there other steps I can take?

System Running: Windows SBS 2008 SP Service Pack 2

Friday, July 13, 2012 9:27 AM

All replies

• Further Information.

After checking the PSCDiagnostics.txt file we can see the error:

07/13/2012 10:43:13  6  ERR                Failed to upgrade SharePoint Products and Technologies.
    Failed to upgrade SharePoint Products and Technologies.  Further information regarding this failure can be found at C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\LOGS\Upgrade.log.
    An exception of type Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.PostSetupConfigurationTaskException was thrown.  Additional exception information: Failed to upgrade SharePoint Products and Technologies.
    Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.PostSetupConfigurationTaskException: Exception of type 'Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.PostSetupConfigurationTaskException' was thrown.
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.UpgradeTask.Run()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.TaskThread.ExecuteTask()

This is the error in the log at Location C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\LOGS\Upgrade.log.

[ERROR] [7/13/2012 10:43:06 AM]: ReflexiveUpgrade [SPWebServiceInstance Name=WSS_Administration Parent=SPServer Name=FISVR05] failed.
    [SPManager] [ERROR] [7/13/2012 10:43:06 AM]: An update conflict has occurred, and you must re-try this action. The object SPWebServiceInstance Name=WSS_Administration Parent=SPServer Name=FISVR05 is being updated by FINDLAYIRVINE\adm.ladarnas, in the psconfigui process, on machine FISVR05.  View the tracing log for more information about the conflict.
    [SPManager] [ERROR] [7/13/2012 10:43:06 AM]:    at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPConfigurationDatabase.StoreObject(SPPersistedObject obj, Boolean storeClassIfNecessary, Boolean ensure)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPConfigurationDatabase.PutObject(SPPersistedObject obj, Boolean ensure)

Thanks in advance, Kelvin.

Friday, July 13, 2012 10:16 AM
  • I also have had the same error after the patch.  

I can attach my error log if needed. 

Friday, July 13, 2012 3:37 PM
  • Hi Jonathon,

I've managed to resolve the problem.

Basically, before you run the "sharepoint products and technologies configuration wizard" stop the following services:

IIS Admin Service
    World Wide Web Publishing Service
    Windows Sharepoint Services Timer
    Windows Sharepoint Services Administration
    Windows Internal Database

Once the configuration wizard has been run, start the services again.

This resolved my problem, I hope this information helps.

Cheers, Kelvin.

Friday, July 13, 2012 4:02 PM
  • What is wrong with KB 259691?

Cannot access SP site after installation
    Error: An unexpected error occurred in WSS 3.0 SP2

Flood of event

No advisories yet from microsoft?

Monday, July 16, 2012 7:11 AM
  • Hi Jonathon,

Basically, before you run the "sharepoint products and technologies configuration wizard" stop the following services:

IIS Admin Service

Cheers, Kelvin.

Hi Kelvin,

would this be applicable to WSS 3.0 SP2?

Monday, July 16, 2012 7:29 AM
  • Hi Jonathon,

IIS Admin Service

Cheers, Kelvin.

Hi Kelvin,

would this be applicable to WSS 3.0 SP2?

Yes it would apply to WSS 3.0 SP2.

Cheers Kelv.

Monday, July 16, 2012 8:48 AM
  • Thank you for the replies Kelv.

Please understand that I have less knowledge about Share Point Services then an ant.  I have been thrown into this mess as our pass domain admin has left the company.   

I have cleared both my system and application logs in order to provide you what the logs look like after trying a new configuration.

After turning off the services and launching the SharePoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard, I get a pop up box that states:

The following may have to be started or reset during configuration:

Internet Information Services

SharePoint Administration Serice

SharePoint Timer Service

Choose yes to restart the services if required and continue with the configuration wizard or no to exit the configuration wizard.  

I choose Yes 

It goes through until step 5 and I get an error

Failed to register SharePoint services.

An exception of type System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException was thrown.  Additional exception information: Cannot open database: "WSS_Search_WYF3" requested by the login.  The login failed.  Login failed for user 'mydomain\myusername'

I have tried this update with my personal username and password (being a domain administrator) and the superuser that we have setup. Both times the same error message appears with the failed login. 

In my application logs, I get errors 

The description for Event ID ( 18456 ) in Source ( MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: mydomain\username  [CLIENT: <named pipe>].

Configuration of SharePoint Products and Technologies failed.  Configuration must be performed in order for this product to operate properly.  To diagnose the problem, review the extended error information located at C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\LOGS\PSCDiagnostics_7_16_2012_8_29_57_187_1565722695.log, fix the problem, and run this configuration wizard again.

&

SQL Database 'WSS_Search_WYF3' on SQL Server instance 'np:\\.\pipe\MSSQL$Microsoft##SSEE\sql\query' not found. Additional error information from SQL Server is included below.

Cannot open database "WSS_Search_WYF3" requested by the login. The login failed.
    Login failed for user 'mydomain\username'.

&

Failed to register SharePoint services.
    An exception of type System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException was thrown.  Additional exception information: Cannot open database "WSS_Search_WYF3" requested by the login. The login failed.
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Cannot open database "WSS_Search_WYF3" requested by the login. The login failed.
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Search.Administration.SPSearchDatabase.Provision()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Search.Administration.SPSearchServiceInstance.ProvisionDatabase()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Search.Administration.SPSearchServiceInstance.Provision()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.ServicesTask.InstallServiceInstanceInConfigDB(Boolean provisionTheServiceInstanceToo, String serviceInstanceRegistryKeyName, Object sharepointServiceObject)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.ServicesTask.InstallServiceInstances(Boolean provisionTheServiceInstancesToo, String serviceRegistryKeyName, Object sharepointServiceObject)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.ServicesTask.InstallServices(Boolean provisionTheServicesToo)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.ServicesTask.Run()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.TaskThread.ExecuteTask()

I have no idea of what to do now.   If you could please provide any sort of help,  I would forever be in your debt.

Thanks

Jonathon C

• Edited by Jonathon C Monday, July 16, 2012 3:41 PM
    Monday, July 16, 2012 1:57 PM
  • I wish I knew the answer to your problem Jonathon but to be honest I'm a beginner at all this as well.

The only thing I can think of is that you dont have the appropriate permissions.

Are you sure you are logged in with full admin permissions?

Monday, July 16, 2012 4:22 PM
  • I have logged in with my account and the super admin account, both are giving me the same errors.

:(

Monday, July 16, 2012 6:59 PM
  • Hi,

I´m having the same problem with this KB2596911 update. I reboot the SBS2008 server this week end, and after that, users cannot access any more to the sharepoint site.

I tried to follow the Kelvin´s steps but it didn´t work for me. :´(

On the 9th step of "SharePoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard" I get an error like : "Error installing application content files. An exception from type Microsoft.Sharepoint.Upgrade.SPUpgradeException started. (....) Microsoft.Sharepoint.Administration.SPIisWebSite has been updated to a newer verion of Sharepoint. Update this server from Sharepoint application before trying to access this object." (this is more or less the message because original is in spanish).

I´m also beginner and any help would be appreciated ! 

Thanks 

Monday, July 16, 2012 9:25 PM
  • After repeting the "SharePoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard" I figured out the sharepoint was totally reset ! The Sharepoint administration site works but all the websites configuration is back as new.

I´m now trying to restore my Sharepoint websites, and this is NOT FUN !!! 

Thank you Microsoft for this great update : I was wondering what to do today.... 

Monday, July 16, 2012 11:53 PM
  • Brilliant Patch

Still no fix from MS?

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 12:50 AM
  • Guys when running the "SharePoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard" what options did you choose, overwrite default site, no not overwrite default site or Do not create a default site
    Tuesday, July 17, 2012 2:38 PM
  • no not overwrite default site or Do not create a default site

Peter B Hardy

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 2:40 PM
  • When launching the sharepoint products and tecnologies wizard and clicking next the options that I recive are:

The follwing services may have to be started or reset during configuration:

IIS

Share point admin service

sharepoint timer service

I click yes

After clicking yes the message states

a previous attempt to upgrate sharepoint products and tecnologies has failed. for more information about this failure review the upgrade log on the server "servername" or review the sharepoint timer service upgrade job status using the central admin web application. choose OK to retry upgrade or cancel to exit the configuration windows.

Peter B Hardy

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 2:53 PM
  • Anyone have a solution? Im desesperated!!!

Thanks a lot

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 3:22 PM
  • Above for me did not work either. Cannot roll back patch or remove. This is a joke.
    Tuesday, July 17, 2012 3:30 PM
  • Same here!

Peter B Hardy

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 3:32 PM
  • One solution would be to restore the whole volume backup before the great KB2596911 has been installed. But this is pretty dangerous and I´m still looking for another way to fix it before that.

In my case, the sharepoint central administration is working and I also have access to the basic website, but as it was before http://companyweb, I have now http://<MyServerName> with no data inside. The IIS website "companyweb" is still there in IIS, but not accesible anymore in browser. The sharepoint products and tecnologies wizard has created a new "Share point central administration" in IIS, and port has changed. 

Does anyone know how to re-link an IIS application to the sharepoint system? I tried to create a new application in "Share point central administration" with the same information than my companyweb in IIS but I get an error that the application already exist.

What a mess !!! Users are still waiting for their documents. 

Thanks

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 3:40 PM
  • I'm in the same boat without sharepoint.   

Peter B Hardy

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 5:06 PM
  • Been 5 days since and still no fix nor advisories.

This patch is epic. others opted to rebuild their SP farm and revert from backup.

What if there are no reliable SP backup or System backup?

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 1:06 AM
  • The super admin account must have atleast dbcreator and security admin role on SQL  and DB owner on all DB.

Regards, Aniket

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 4:02 AM
  • I am feeling so sorry for you MGerio.

If there is no backup i dont think it will work. The best thing to check is the version of sharepoint on the SPconfig DB if it is still the old one remove the updates and re-run the config wizard.

Regards, Aniket

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 4:17 AM
  • There is no uninstall on SBS 2008 for this patch

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 9:12 AM
  • This is critical update for SP could not be reverted. SharePoint backup is near solution if you have! All SBS 2008 SP farm users have issues after installing this critical update, MS should get back to us with a solution.

G.

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 11:25 AM
  • I followed the instructions here and was able to get my SharePoint back up and running!

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/smallbusinessserver/thread/0f8c770a-b718-4fef-a948-4ac83794b386/

Essentially blow away the installation of the sharepoint site (without deleting your web database) and recreate it (and re-attach your web database).

One note:

At the end of this bit:

1) Open Central Administration > Application Management > Create or Extend Web Application > Create New Web Application

Click on the hyperlink to add the base content to the page before checking to see if it is working.

GOOD LUCK!!

PS: I had a backup but restoring it didn't resovle the problem for me.

• Edited by sswavley Wednesday, July 18, 2012 1:50 PM
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012 12:03 PM
  • In my case I have a backup this do it with this script:

%STSADM% -o backup -directory "c:\backups\%DATE:/=_%" -backupmethod full -overwrite

Now, when I want to recover it with a restore I can't do it, give me an error, I too have a backup from this virtual machine my idea is restoring in this virtual machine. Any other idea?

Sorry for y english

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 12:04 PM
  • Did you try the instructions that I left?  Because the instructions leave the database intact you can survive this error without a backup.  BUT - I would strongly recomend that you stop the SQL database and take a copy of the files.  This is effectively a backup of the SQL database.  Copy all the files.  And if you don't have a backup - make sure you do next time.

• Edited by sswavley Wednesday, July 18, 2012 1:08 PM
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012 1:00 PM
  • I spent 5 hours on the phone with Microsoft yesterday and was unable to fix the issue with patch KB2596911 caused and I be very leery of installing this update until they have it corrected.

In the end we had to recreate the WSS_Content DB. Next we ran the sharepoint products and tecnologies wizard and all completed with out errors. I was fortunate because our SharePoint farm does not have any custom configurations but if you do go this route you will need to re-create any custom configurations in your SharePoint farm. What a mess! good luck!     

Peter B Hardy

• Edited by magbag757 Thursday, July 19, 2012 1:01 PM
    Thursday, July 19, 2012 12:58 PM
  • KB2596911 - Fix

This is how I fixed this issue:

Event logs showed DCOM and MSSQL errors

I changed the Launch Permissions for System under – Component Services – Computers – DCOM Config – IIS WAMREG admin Service – Security – Edit -  to :

Local Launch – allow

Remote launch – allow

Local Activation – allow

Remote Activation - allow

Then I ran the following two commands from a DOS windows opened as administrator:

(get-spserver $env:computername).NeedsUpgrade

PSConfig.exe -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -force -cmd applicationcontent -install -cmd installfeatures

SharePoint worked after this process.  Good Luck !!!

Thursday, July 19, 2012 2:18 PM
  • On what server did you do this upon?

Thursday, July 19, 2012 4:48 PM
  • Hi guys,

Better than magbag757, I spent 7 hours on a phone call with two Microsoft engineers and we finally resolve the problem !! 

I have to say that obviously they didn´t charge anything for the support because the problem came from an update, and the two engineers were very efficient (one in Argentina and another one in India). My best recomendation is to call Microsoft : they will help you at no cost.

Alright, you´re all waiting for my solution, right?

I´m gone try to resume the principal actions that were done (by myself, and together with Microsoft). Sorry but my server is in Spanish and some functionality translation may be a bit different in english. 

- Sharepoint Product and Technology configuration wizard : run the whole process.

I had an error at the last step, but this created a brand new instance of Sharepoint (I don´t really understand why), but empty, obviously. At this point, I was able to browse the new Sharepoint Central Administration (SCA) and the default website (with no data).

- In the SCA, go to "Application Management > Create or extend a new Web Application > Create a new Web Application"

Choose the new IIS application name, change port number to 80. Choose your existing application pool (for me SBS Sharepoint AppPool). Set your right database server if not already set (I didn´t had to change it) and change your database content name to WSS_content_tmp (this is just temporary and will be deleted).

Choose SQL Autentication and set your domain username (like <domain>\<username>) and password.

Select your search server and click Accept.

Once created, open a command prompt and write "iisreset", and valid.
    At this time, you should be able to browse http://<yourservername> and enter an empty sharepoint web site.

- Back in the SCA, go to "Application Management > Database content"
    Check on the right side if the correct web application is selected (http://<yoursevername>) - change it as needed. You should see in the list your WSS_content_tmp. Click on it then select Delete database content and accept.

- in the command prompt, write "cd C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\BIN" to access this directory.
    Execute the following command :
    stsadm -o addcontentdb -url http://<yourservername> -databasename <yourdatabase name>
    In my case, the database name was : ShareWebDb (I guess it would be the same for all SBS2008 default config servers)
    If your database do not appear, you can try to restore from your Windows Security Copy.

write "iisreset", and valid.

At this point, you should finally be able to access http://<yourservername> and find your data back.

- We just have now to enable the host header in IIS so you can access your site from "http://Companyweb" (if that´s what you want)
    Open IIS administrator. Choose your old application name (in my case it was SBS Sharepoint), on the right in "Edit Site > Bindings...", remember and delete the line http.
    Select the IIS application name you´ve setup during the application creation in SCA. 
    Go to "Edit Site > Bindings...", and add a new binding with the same configuration you remembered before. (for me protocol "http", port 80, name "Companyweb").
    You can also add the secure binding on 987 port that was also set before.

Accept, and everything should be back to normal. Test http://companyweb from a client computer (for me it´s not working from the server). 

I hope this helps at least to put you on the right way.

Good luck! 

Edit 26/07/2012: 

Hi all,

After another phone session with Microtsoft (with a whole new process for a whoooole new case), they discovered there was a mistake in the configuration they did the first time.

Here is the point : if you want you application to run at the URL http://Companyweb, you have to set this URL as Alternate Access mapping. My Website URL was on http://<myServerName> and I had a binding in IIS of my Sharepoint application to Companyweb. It worked until Sharepoint did some timer jobs which are done on http://<myServerName> .

So in SCA, you just have to change the application URL to http://Companyweb and it works.

Thursday, July 19, 2012 6:17 PM
  • I forgot to say that some moves were done by the microsoft engineer concerning user rights on database.

In SQL Server Management, "<yourDatabaseConexion> > Security > logins > <YourDomainAdmin>" right click Properties > Status : "login" has been enabled.

I thought it was important to say because when I finally think about the whole problem, I feel like (and it´s just a feeling) the KB2596911 may have change something in the database user rights and or the SCA database access rights which could cause the whole system to be down.

Hope your doing well with all that.

I´m still very disapointed because if my users were able to recover their documents, they don´t want to use the sharepoint anymore, they lost the confidence they had in the system and I can understand them until one branch of the business was very affected and almost completly blocked.

R.I.P. Sharepoint.... 

Thursday, July 19, 2012 10:20 PM
  • I agree with you teradev.
    Consumers will loose confidence with SharePoint if incidents like this will occur in the future.

Anyway, rebuilding new server with same configuration, recreating web app and re-attaching database resolved the issue.

Better if you have server snapshot (VMWARE or HyperV) prior to update installation. Just revert.
    Friday, July 20, 2012 12:42 AM
  • Hi Everyone,

After very hard and deep session with MS support, we were able to resolve this issue. So I would like to share this with everyone who all are suffering after this SP critical update launch. Issue description: not able browse Companyweb after installing security update and SharePoint farm was not updated, also SP product configuration wizard was failing after 2 or 3 steps.

Solution in Short:

1. Stop “Windows SharePoint Services Timer”

2. Go to Drive:\ProgramData\Microsoft\SharePoint\Config\GUID                  ( Windows 2008 )

3. Take Backup of the Guid Folder.

4. Delete All the *.XML files from the Folder.

5. Edit Cache.ini   Change Whatever Value =   1

6. Start “Windows SharePoint Services Timer”

7. Restart IIS , World Wide Web Publishing  and Windows Internal Database

- Tried to run psconfig -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b –force

- It completed successfully.

- Tried to browse http://companyweb, it now works fine.

In details:

To resolve this issue, clear the file system cache on all servers in the server farm on which the Windows SharePoint Services Timer service is running. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Stop the Timer service. To do this, follow these steps:
      1. Click Start, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Services.
      2. Right-click Windows SharePoint Services Timer, and then click Stop.
      3. Close the Services console.
    2. On the computer that is running Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 and on which the Central Administration site is hosted, click Start, click Run, type explorer, and then press ENTER.
    3. In Windows Explorer, locate and then double-click the following folder:
      <var>Drive</var>:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\SharePoint\Config\<var>GUID</var>
      Notes
      • The <var>Drive</var> placeholder specifies the letter of the drive on which Windows is installed. By default, Windows is installed on drive C.
      • The <var>GUID</var> placeholder specifies the GUID folder.
      • The Application Data folder may be hidden. To view the hidden folder, follow these steps:
        1. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
        2. Click the View tab.
        3. In the Advanced settings list, click Show hidden files and folders under Hidden files and folders, and then click OK.
      • In Windows Server 2008, the configuration cache is in the following location:
        <var>Drive</var>:\ProgramData\Microsoft\SharePoint\Config\<var>GUID</var>
    4. Back up the Cache.ini file.
    5. Delete all the XML configuration files in the GUID folder. Do this so that you can verify that the GUID folder is replaced by new XML configuration files when the cache is rebuilt.

Note When you empty the configuration cache in the GUID folder, make sure that you do not delete the GUID folder and the Cache.ini file that is located in the GUID folder.
    6. Double-click the Cache.ini file.
    7. On the Edit menu, click Select All.
    8. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
    9. Type 1, and then click Save on the File menu.
    10. On the File menu, click Exit.
    11. Start the Timer service. To do this, follow these steps:
      1. Click Start, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Services.
      2. Right-click Windows SharePoint Services Timer, and then click Start.
      3. Close the Services console.
      Note The file system cache is re-created after you perform this procedure. Make sure that you perform this procedure on all servers in the server farm.
    12.  Make sure that the Cache.ini file has been updated. For example it should no longer be 1 if the cache has been updated.
    13. Click Start, point to Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then click SharePoint 3.0 Central Administration.
    14. Click the Operations tab, and then click Timer job status under Global Configuration.
    15. In the list of timer jobs, verify that the status of the Config Refresh entry is Succeeded.
    16. On the File menu, click Close.

I hope this will fix your issues as well.

Cheersss

Gurwant Kaler

• Edited by Gkadmin Friday, July 20, 2012 9:30 AM
    Friday, July 20, 2012 9:18 AM
  • Jonathon C - This was done on a Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2 running SharePoint 3.
    Friday, July 20, 2012 1:49 PM
    • After 6 hours with Microsoft support the issue still wasn't resolved. Microsoft had to come back to me as they were out of ideas for the moment. I started troubleshooting by myself and I ended up doing the following. Remember to confirm that you have a working backup before you choose to delete the old farm settings.

1. Optionally reinstall/install Sharepoint WSS, same version as before.
    (This step is probably not necessary for the error created by
    KB2596911)

2. Central Admin > Application Management:
    - Remove Sharepoint from IIS web site. (Do NOT delete Content Database)
    - Delete web application.

3. Run sharepoint configuration wizard. Disconnect from the farm. Run the wizard again and you should get success on 10 of 10 steps.

4. Create new Web App from Central Admin.
    Select a security account for this application pool > Predefined > Network Service
    Load balanced URL, Use same url as before. (https://remote.company.com:987/)

Operations > Alternate Access Mappings > Add: http://Companyweb in the Intranet Zone.

Sharepoint is not a 32-bit app and must possibly be changed in the new app pool.

5. Remove the automatically created content database for your new web app under Central Admin > Application Management > Content databases
    Example: WSS.Content_2a……… so on.

6. Attach your old content database with the following commands.
    1. cd “C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\BIN”
    stsadm -o addcontentdb -url https://remote.company.com:987/ -databasename WSS_Content_a2a0bf26c2e843cc9e4f43d895d83490
    (Named ShareWebDb on SBS 08 server)

7. Command prompt: iisreset /restart

8. All Site collections should appear.

9. Go to Internet Information Services and edit bindings. Insert companyweb as hostname for port 80, and add new https binding for port 987.

10. Recreate and crawl the search database.

How to crawl a new search database on SBS 08.

(1 of 2)
    Disable the loopback check:

1. Open regedit from the start menu.
    In Registry Editor, locate the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa

3. Right-click Lsa, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
    4. Type DisableLoopbackCheck, and then press ENTER.
    5. Right-click DisableLoopbackCheck, and then click Modify.
    6. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
    7. Quit Registry Editor

(2 of 2)

Open Command Prompt (Run as Administrator)

1. cd “C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\BIN”

2. stsadm -o spsearch -action stop

3. stsadm -o spsearch -action start

4. stsadm -o spsearch -action fullcrawlstart

DONE!
    J

Monday, July 23, 2012 9:49 AM
  • Hi All,

Unfortunately, the solution that we worked on with Microsoft only worked for 24 hours. :-(

I´m back with the same problem, and mi 404 error page!!

Users were right not to use Sharepoint anymore.

Monday, July 23, 2012 7:28 PM
  • Maybe you should re-evaluate what is going on with SharePoint. It seems all other posts here have been resolved by MS or the admins. Mine has been running like a champ, knock on wood.  

Peter B Hardy

Monday, July 23, 2012 7:39 PM
  • Hi teradev,

Check the disableloopbackcheck option on the SP servers.

Regards, Aniket

Monday, July 23, 2012 11:29 PM
  • I am in a similar situation, though along with the HTTP error 404, I found that the C:\Program Files\Windows Small Business Server\Bin\webapp\InternalWebsite folder had been deleted.

Now when I run the psconfig tool, I get services timing out while trying to restart.

I've tried re-installing SP Services, but still keep having the same issue with the psconfig command.  Any thoughts on why the services are not restarting as they are supposed to?  If not, is there a way to manually remove this update?  I've been looking through the winsxs folder for the original installer, but have been unsuccessful in finding it so far.

Thanks

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 6:01 PM
  • Do you have verified that the InternalWebSite folder has been recreated? On some servers I have experienced that i needed to run the wizard or the command "stsadm -o upgrade -inplace" ,several times before it went through successfully.

Have not been able to find a way to remove the KB update.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 7:49 AM
  • PSConfig.exe -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -force -cmd applicationcontent -install -cmd installfeatures

answer

Thursday, July 26, 2012 8:42 PM
  • Did any of you have WSS SP3? Curiously, the KB article makes mention of only WSS SP2, but I think that's a mistake since WSS SP3 is not in the Non-Affected list either. Plus, SharePoint Server 2007 SP3 is affected, and it's a close cousin of WSS. After this thread, I'm certainly steering clear of this update even if it does apply to SP3.
    Sunday, July 29, 2012 8:53 PM
  • Late to this thread but I wanted to add my experience. In short, I did a second reboot following the update. Da-dah! It cured it.

I was late running my updates on a SBS2003 and I hadn't read these posts. This update (KB2596911) installed very, very slowly, and on restart, sure enough SharePoint was unavailable. My message was "Cannot connect to the configuration database".

I began to follow the steps here with the configuration utility, but this failed at the first (Server Farm message) hurdle. I had already stopped the various services (listed by others) before running the config wizard so I thought, rather than manually restarting the services, I'll just reboot. Amazingly, SharePoint worked following this second restart.

Curious, to say the least.

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 8:53 AM