none
Excel Appcrash on opening a sheet containing a chart (chart.dll)

Question

• Hi guys,

we are using Office 2016 Standard Volume. Since rolling out kb4018319 (a office security update released this month) we have several problems with some sheets which are containing charts. Excel crashes and there's a entry in the eventlog (in German):

Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: EXCEL.EXE, Version: 16.0.4678.1000, Zeitstempel: 0x5aa7e7ca
    Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: chart.dll, Version: 16.0.4678.1000, Zeitstempel: 0x5aa7e891
    Ausnahmecode: 0xc0000005
    Fehleroffset: 0x0025399e
    ID des fehlerhaften Prozesses: 0x14d0
    Startzeit der fehlerhaften Anwendung: 0x01d3d722a5bc6843
    Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office16\EXCEL.EXE
    Pfad des fehlerhaften Moduls: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office16\chart.dll
    Berichtskennung: 651c98b9-242b-492c-be9d-0c4d3eb838c1
    Vollständiger Name des fehlerhaften Pakets:
    Anwendungs-ID, die relativ zum fehlerhaften Paket ist:

So chart.dll is the bad guy in this scenario. So far removing kb4018319 solves the problem so it's obviously the source of the error. This fits also for this description, where is documented that chart.dll was updated.

Repairing the sheet doesn't work for me, only removing kb4018319, opening the xlsx, removing the chart and saving the sheet without chart. After that a kb4018319-patched computer will open the file.

I found some threads where people have the same problems https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/8cx7x1/april_office_updates_kb_4018319office_2016_and_kb/ but no technet-thread so far.

Any suggestions what's the matter with this chart-bug? If there's a problem with the security content of office a errormessage would be a charme but crashing the whole thing is not a solution for me.

Tell me if you found out any problems with charts in your office version as well.

Thank you (:

• Edited by Snakerl Wednesday, April 18, 2018 7:52 PM typos
    Wednesday, April 18, 2018 3:06 PM

All replies

• Hi Snakerl,

Based on your description, I tested this problem in my environment and I cannot reproduce this problem.

My steps:

Are my steps correct? I'm using Windows 10 1703 and Office 2016 Standard.

Please provide more information about your problem so that I can reproduce it.

I'm glad to help you.

Regards,

Emi

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, April 19, 2018 9:13 AM
  • I can confirm that for our environment. Windows 10 1703 and Windows 7 with Office 2016 (MSI version) and KB4018319 installed. Excel crashes when the sheet contains certain charts. After the update has been uninstalled the problem is resolved. 
    Thursday, April 19, 2018 10:46 AM
  • Hi Emi, thank you for your reply.

To make it clear: not every chart-containing sheet crashes. But I didn't figured it out what exactly produces the problem in the chart. A user told me that his sheet crashes every time he tries to open it and the problem occurs on every pc with the KB installed. I am not familar in creating charts in excel but tomorrow I will try to reproduce the problem in a new sheet, so maybe you'll be able to reproduce the problem on your system.

btw: office 365 excel is not affected of this bug as a friend told me. Same crash-problem on office 2010 where a similar patch for chart.dll (but different kb number) was released.

Thursday, April 19, 2018 2:23 PM
  • Hi Snakerl,

Do you mind provide a problem file to me?

I created all kinds of Charts but I cannot reproduce this problem, I want to reproduce this problem and report it.

If possible, you could send this file to our email address:

ibsofc@microsoft.com

Note: Please add the URL of the case in the email subject or body, please make sure that you have hidden your private information.

If you cannot provide the file, please provide more information about how to create the Chart file so that I can reproduce this problem.

I'm glad to help you.

Regards,

Emi

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, April 20, 2018 1:40 AM
  • Hi Emi, I just sent you a mail with the sheet. Hope this helps.
    Friday, April 20, 2018 8:51 AM
  • Can confirm, seeing the same issue with KB4018319. One of our excel reporting workbooks now crashes upon save if any value which would be reflected in a chart is modified.
    Saturday, April 21, 2018 2:08 AM
  • Can confirm, seeing the same issue with KB4018319. One of our excel reporting workbooks now crashes upon save if any value which would be reflected in a chart is modified.
    Can also confirm exact same issue with 4018319. 
    Tuesday, April 24, 2018 6:35 PM
  • Hi snakerl,

I can reproduce this problem with your sample file.

But I cannot figure out why this problem appeared, I tested and checked the 3D and data source.

It's strange and I'm trying to report this problem, if I get any mails I will let you know.

Regards,

Emi

Wednesday, April 25, 2018 12:53 AM
  • Having same issue, excel closes even before I touch the chart. Any resolution would be appreciated, removing update is the only thing I can do as a work around. 
    • Edited by DavidVal410 Wednesday, April 25, 2018 1:52 PM
    Wednesday, April 25, 2018 1:51 PM
  • Any updates on this?

I was just informed of at least a couple of our staff having this exact issue, which I tested/validated myself.

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 8:03 PM
  • Hi all,

I have reported this problem to Microsoft and Microsoft is aware of and investigating this issue.

Now we can confirm that this problem is becasue the chart would have a date axis which is filtered, for example the blank items are unselected in this chart:

Any updates about this problem I will let you know.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Emi

Thursday, May 3, 2018 1:59 AM
  • Hi Emi ,

Did you receive any feedback concerning this issue ?

Thanks

Tuesday, May 15, 2018 11:41 PM
  • Any news from MS? We're working with O2k13 C2R and unfortunately the uninstall of KB4018288 was not the solution for us. I was hoping this would be fixed in the May build (15.0.5031.1000) but we are still facing the issue.
    Friday, May 18, 2018 9:42 AM
  • Hi Emi,

Any news when the fix will be implemented?

Thanks

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 8:34 AM
  • Normally the next office patchday should be Tuesday, 5th June 2018. Let's hope they'll implement a patch for their cr@ppy chart.dll-problem.
    • Proposed as answer by Bart Kaptein Saturday, June 2, 2018 4:47 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Bart Kaptein Saturday, June 2, 2018 4:47 PM
    Monday, May 28, 2018 7:27 AM
  • I suppose you mean patch Tuesday, which should be one week later
    Saturday, June 2, 2018 4:47 PM
  • I suppose you mean patch Tuesday, which should be one week later
    No, I mean the office-specific patchday which was always a week before the main-windows-patch-tuesday. If you look back, there was an office-patchday on 2nd January, 6th February, 6th March, 3rd April and 1st May 2018. This is called "Office-Patchday" and contains non-security-relevant patches. Instead of kb4018319 which IS a security update and was released on the official patch-tuesday, the fix for sheets containing charts is not a security-problem. So ... yes, we can hope that tomorrow there's a new bunch of offices-patches available. If there's one for this specific problem ... we'll see :) But if not, maybe they release it a week later ... or never ;-)
    Monday, June 4, 2018 1:53 PM
  • Hello,

I just resolved this issue for one of our users by coping a non-corrupted Chart.dll file and replacing the one located in the c:\program files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office 16 directory.

Steps

1. Uninstalled Office and deleted the Microsoft Office directory.
    2. Reinstalled Office
    3. Made a copy of the Chart.dll file and saved it somewhere safe.
    4. Ran Windows Update and applied all the patches.
    5. Copied the Chart.dll file that I saved to the safe location and overwrote the one in C:\program files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office 16 directory.

Had user verify that the issue was resolved.

I hope this helps.

Tuesday, June 5, 2018 7:22 PM
  • Hello,

I just resolved this issue for one of our users by coping a non-corrupted Chart.dll file and replacing the one located in the c:\program files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office 16 directory.

Steps

1. Uninstalled Office and deleted the Microsoft Office directory.
    2. Reinstalled Office
    3. Made a copy of the Chart.dll file and saved it somewhere safe.
    4. Ran Windows Update and applied all the patches.
    5. Copied the Chart.dll file that I saved to the safe location and overwrote the one in C:\program files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office 16 directory.

Had user verify that the issue was resolved.

I hope this helps.

Why on earth would someone do this? :-O
    If you are okay with living with the "security-hole" (aka the old chart.dll which enables a remote code execution vulnerability) simply uninstall kb4018319 (wusa /uninstall /kb:4018319 /norestart) and that's it. Why would you remove a complete officeinstallation and then reinstall the whole bunch of KBs again, just to replace a .dll file? Speaking from an WSUS-Environment it's also possible to force the removal of the kb from all machines which is a way i usually prefer (but not this time).

Nevertheless, as mentioned there are new office-2016-kbs available since a few hours. I'm pushing them to my testclients and will give you guys feedback if there's some ne behavior after installing them but I'm pretty sure there will be no change (no description regarding to a excel/chart-problem https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/office_sustained_engineering/2018/06/05/june-2018-non-security-office-update-release/)

Wednesday, June 6, 2018 5:47 AM
  • Still no change after installing the latest office-updates.
    Wednesday, June 6, 2018 1:33 PM
  • Hi there, same issue here on four RDS servers, affecting 120 employees who can't open their Excel reporting with graphs.

Uninstalling KB4018319 does fix the issue, however, we wonder if we're safe when we decline this security update.

Our environment is Office 2016 x86 on Windows Server 2016 Standard virtual servers on Hyper-V.

Why does this take so long?

We have lots of excels files to reconstruct the Excel crashes.

Since this issue is known by Microsoft it doesn't help me to open a case.

It should help when Microsoft announces when a better security patch is expected,

Tuesday, June 12, 2018 9:27 PM
  • Hi there, same issue here on four RDS servers, affecting 120 employees who can't open their Excel reporting with graphs.

Uninstalling KB4018319 does fix the issue, however, we wonder if we're safe when we decline this security update.

Our environment is Office 2016 x86 on Windows Server 2016 Standard virtual servers on Hyper-V.

Why does this take so long?

We have lots of excels files to reconstruct the Excel crashes.

Since this issue is known by Microsoft it doesn't help me to open a case.

It should help when Microsoft announces when a better security patch is expected,

Most interesting part is that this problem does not occur on Office 365 Excel. A bad person could say they do this on purpose to push their customers into 365 contracts. So why is it working on Office 365, which is a more updated version of Office 2016 but not the volume licensed Office 2016 version?

Btw: still no change after installing todays patchday-udpates.

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 2:13 PM
  • Try the following.  Microsoft just released them:

Office 2013: https://support.microsoft.com/help/2986229

Office 2016: https://support.microsoft.com/help/4011128

Friday, June 15, 2018 5:35 PM
  • Hi there. I´ve just installed KB4011128 and the issue does not occur anymore. Instead, there´s another issue with labels. They´re gone! Even if we check the  option show labels, they don't appear on the chart. Could anyone help?
    Thursday, July 12, 2018 5:19 PM