Mail notifications and Outlook 365 RRS feed

• Question

• In Windows 10, when I click on an e-mail notification in the notifications area it wants to launch "Mail" instead of "Outlook 2016". I have set Outlook 2016 as the default mail program. What else do I need to do?
    Saturday, January 14, 2017 4:41 PM

Answers

• Thank you for the update.

>>I found that the notifications for the "Mail" app are turned on.  I have turned them off.  (Will they stay off?)

Normally, it will stay off when you turned it off. Does this issue continue when the option is turned off?

>>Do I need to turn on "Display a Desktop Alert" in Outlook in order to see the items show up in "Action Center"?

"Display a Desktop Alert" option is not required to be turned on to see items in Action Center, but you need to make sure notifications for Outlook is enabled like the following image shows:

By the way, if you find the reply is helpful, do you mind to mark it as an answer, so that it will be easy for other community members who are encountering the same issue to quickly find the verified reply. Thank you for your understanding.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Friday, January 20, 2017 9:45 AM
    • Marked as answer by DataJanitor Saturday, January 28, 2017 8:56 PM
    Wednesday, January 18, 2017 2:18 AM

All replies

• Hi,

By 'notification area' do you mean the Action Center of Windows 10?

Do you also have your email account set up in the Mail app in Windows 10?

Can you see the Mail app listed under the "Show notifications from these apps" heading? If so, we may try to change it from On to Off and then see if this issue happens again.

Regards,

Steve Fan

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 16, 2017 2:51 AM
  • Yes, I am referring to the "Action Center" in Windows 10.

Mail is installed but not configured.  It came installed with Windows 10.  I bought and installed an Office 365 subscription which includes Outlook, which is what I prefer to use.

I found that the notifications for the "Mail" app are turned on.  I have turned them off.  (Will they stay off?)

Do I need to turn on "Display a Desktop Alert" in Outlook in order to see the items show up in "Action Center"?

• Edited by DataJanitor Tuesday, January 17, 2017 9:11 PM
    Tuesday, January 17, 2017 9:10 PM
  • Thank you for the update.

>>I found that the notifications for the "Mail" app are turned on.  I have turned them off.  (Will they stay off?)

Normally, it will stay off when you turned it off. Does this issue continue when the option is turned off?

>>Do I need to turn on "Display a Desktop Alert" in Outlook in order to see the items show up in "Action Center"?

"Display a Desktop Alert" option is not required to be turned on to see items in Action Center, but you need to make sure notifications for Outlook is enabled like the following image shows:

By the way, if you find the reply is helpful, do you mind to mark it as an answer, so that it will be easy for other community members who are encountering the same issue to quickly find the verified reply. Thank you for your understanding.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Steve Fan

• Marked as answer by DataJanitor Saturday, January 28, 2017 8:56 PM
    Wednesday, January 18, 2017 2:18 AM
  • Hi,                                                                                     

Just checking in to see if the information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Steve Fan

Friday, January 20, 2017 9:45 AM
  • I have followed the instructions you gave, but my Outlook mail notifications do not appear in the "Action Center".  The notifications from the "Mail" program have ceased; which was a big annoyance since clicking on them tried the launch the wrong mail program.  So, I clicked "Mark as answer" to indicate that what you suggested was helpful; but, apparently not the entire answer.

Does the "Outlook" program need to be running in order for the arriving mail items to appear in the "Action Center"?  Is there a service that needs to be running?

Other program notifications appear in the "Action Center," just not Outlook 2016 (Office 365).

Saturday, January 28, 2017 9:05 PM