none
Importing from Excel into a List RRS feed

• Question

• I've followed the directions on how to create a list by importing from an excel file.  My question is.  Once I have this list set up, is there a way to copy more cells from a new file and paste them in to this already existing list?  I've tried doing copy/paste, but it just tries to put it all in one cell or is tells me that I can't paste because the cells don't match.  We are posting this list for our department to see, but will update it with new information every month, and don't want to create a new list every time, just update the one we already have.  Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. 
    Wednesday, June 26, 2013 4:54 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Once you have created the list you can cut and paste from your spreadsheet using the datasheet view, to paste fro9m your existing spreadsheet. There is also a addin for Excel that will allow you to sync a list with SharePoint 2007. But it may depended on the version of office you are using...

-Ivan

Ivan Sanders My LinkedIn , My Blog, @iasanders, BI in SP2013, SP2013 Content Packs.

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 5:57 PM
  • I'm using Office 2010.  How do I get that Excel add-in?  I'm finding that it's defaulting to Access, and not Excel so this add-in would be helpful. 
    Wednesday, June 26, 2013 6:05 PM
  • Hi,

Jon Adams created an Office Excel 2007 add-in, Excel 2007 Add-in: Synchronizing Tables with SharePoint Lists, which adds a button to the Table Tools tab on the Office Fluent Ribbon. This add-in allows you to publish a read-write list to Windows SharePoint Services. Note that you cannot save the workbook in the new Office Open XML Formats. Instead, to retain the functionality, you need to save the workbook in the Excel 97-2003 (Biff8) file format.

1. Download and install the Excel 2007 Add-in: Synchronizing Tables with SharePoint Lists.

2. Start Office Excel 2007.

3. Click the Microsoft Office Button, click Excel Options, and then click the Add-Ins tab.

4. Select Excel Add-ins in the Manage drop-down list and click Go.

5. In the Add-Ins dialog box, click Browse, navigate to the Excel 2007 SharePoint List Synchronizing Add-in, and then click OK.

6. In the Add-Ins dialog box, verify that the SynchronizeWSSandExcel option is selected and then click OK.

Figure 1. The Add-Ins dialog with the Rwsplist option selected

Selecting the Rwsplist option 

This add-in also works with Excel 2010, I used to use it occasionally. In addition, though the data sheet view is an access view in SP2007, you can still cut and paste directly to the Datasheet View from Excel.

Reference: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/bb462636(v=office.11).aspx

-Ivan

Ivan Sanders My LinkedIn , My Blog, @iasanders, BI in SP2013, SP2013 Content Packs.

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 7:42 PM