"Create or Open Outlook Data File" won't open RRS feed

• Question

• Good day:

I have a user who is not able to Create or Open a .pst file. The problem is that when he tries to create a new one, or open an existing one The "Create Or Open Outlook Data File" dialog box to browse or choose location for your .pst  WON'T open... It doesnt show that window as if you never clicked the option to create or open the pst.

I thought it was an Office problem, but a Repair didn't work. So I thought it was a problem with the user profile, so I checked in the same computer but with MY user and it's working for me! I mean, when I create or open a PST i am able to Get the Dialog Box "Create or Open Outlook Data File" to browse for location... So I renamed the user's profile because I thought that would fix the issue (since the account would be as a new one)... but it's stil the same. He is not able to see the "Create or Open Outlook Data File" window... I think it has something to do with some registry but I dont know exactly what could it be. He's got Windows 7 and Microsoft Office Outlook 2010.

Any help on this issue will be really appreciated.

Thursday, June 9, 2011 5:54 PM

Answers

• After a good bit of experimenting and looking at other posts, I thought that this might be a user profile problem. Creating a new Outlook profile didn't do the trick, but creating a new User profile did. In my case it is a small test environment so I just created a new user and configured Outlook and I was back in business. I suspect blowing away the old profile and reconfiguring Outlook would have yielded the same result.

In any case, if youhave the problem, try a new user profile.

Roger
    • Proposed as answer by WaukeshaGeek Wednesday, October 12, 2011 6:16 PM
    • Marked as answer by Eduardo SS Thursday, February 23, 2012 6:06 PM
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 6:16 PM

All replies

• Hi Eduardo,

Have you got any error message when it happened?

And whether the new profile you created is the Window profile, or Outlook profile?

The Prevent users from making changes to Outlook profiles policy option will prevent users from making any changes to their existing profile. 

You can check it in the System Policy Editor:

1. Expand the Microsoft Outlook 2010 node.
    2. Expand the Miscellaneous node.
    3. Check if the Prevent users from making changes to Outlook profiles policy is enabled.
    Group Policy overview for Office 2010: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc179176.aspx

Sincerely,
    Max Meng

Come back and mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Marked as answer by William Zhou CHN Tuesday, June 14, 2011 7:07 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Eduardo SS Tuesday, June 14, 2011 3:01 PM
    Saturday, June 11, 2011 10:19 AM
  • I will really consider that option to prevent future issues...

But is there an actual solution for this problem that i'm having now?... I mean at this time I cannot prevent it since it already happened and I do not want to have to format the user's computer just because I can't access PST :(

Is there a solution? a Registry that I can change? another way to do it since renaming profile is not working?

Thanks

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 3:03 PM
  • I am experiencing the exact same problem. The only thing I noticed is an error in the Application Event log which is Event ID 27 with a Source of Outlook and says "Operation Failed". Very Descriptive and helful :)  This occurs whenever I try and open an Outlook Data File. This used to work on the workstation. It is alsow Windows 7 and Office 2010 SP1 fully patched.

The only thing that has changed recently was I installed SpamFighter Pro but I removed that and the problem did not go away. I am not certain the problem started when I installed SpamFighter as I only use .PSTs for archiving which I don't do all that often.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Roger

Roger
    Friday, September 30, 2011 2:57 PM
  • After a good bit of experimenting and looking at other posts, I thought that this might be a user profile problem. Creating a new Outlook profile didn't do the trick, but creating a new User profile did. In my case it is a small test environment so I just created a new user and configured Outlook and I was back in business. I suspect blowing away the old profile and reconfiguring Outlook would have yielded the same result.

In any case, if youhave the problem, try a new user profile.

Roger
    • Proposed as answer by WaukeshaGeek Wednesday, October 12, 2011 6:16 PM
    • Marked as answer by Eduardo SS Thursday, February 23, 2012 6:06 PM
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 6:16 PM