Unable to search Shared Mailbox / Can't select multiple sub folders in advanced search / Shared mailbox not indexed - Outlook 2007 SP3 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I'm having a problem with Shared Mailboxes in Outlook 2007 SP3 with Exchange Server 2010 SP1 in SBS 2011.

I have a Shared Mailbox (info@company.com) that three of my users have Send As and Full Access permission to. Basic send and receive is working fine but I'm having some problems with searching.

Primarily, my users cannot search the Shared Mailbox by clicking on it and typing something in the search bar. This is working fine on their own mailboxes but not on the Shared Mailbox.

Second, some threads have pointed me to using Advanced Search as a work around. Unfortunately, this does not work either. When selecting folders in Advanced Search I receive the message:

"The folder you selected does not let you search other folders at the same time. To search other folders, clear the check box next to this folder."

Once again, for the users mailbox this works fine but not for the Shared Mailbox.

Finally, when I go to Tools / Options / Search Options there is not an option to Index the Shared Mailbox. I suspect this is the root cause of my other problems and would be quite grateful for any solutions.

Thanks,

Kevin Morse

Sunday, January 8, 2012 1:30 AM

Answers

• Outlook 2007 with an Exchange 2010 shows the same behavior for me.  If you click 'Try searching All Mail Items' the search only does your mailbox, PST files, or SharePoint Lists.  The Shared Mailbox is not included in this.

Outlook 2010 on the other hand does a much better job handling this search as it allows for subfolders on the shared mailboxes.  I just tested this in my Outlook 2010 client accessing a shared mailbox on an Exchange 2010 server.

I am thinking that this is a limitation of Outlook 2007 itself.

JAUCG
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 3:52 AM

All replies

• Hi

In order to search within the shared mailbox, you will have to select the shared folder and then perform the search.

Cheers

Zi Feng

Monday, January 9, 2012 8:22 AM
  • When I select the Shared Mailbox and search, there are no results. When I select individual folders within the shared mailbox it can search them but only individually. Given that I have 20 something individual folders within the shared mailbox this isn't acceptable.
    Monday, January 9, 2012 9:04 AM
  • Outlook 2007 with an Exchange 2010 shows the same behavior for me.  If you click 'Try searching All Mail Items' the search only does your mailbox, PST files, or SharePoint Lists.  The Shared Mailbox is not included in this.

Outlook 2010 on the other hand does a much better job handling this search as it allows for subfolders on the shared mailboxes.  I just tested this in my Outlook 2010 client accessing a shared mailbox on an Exchange 2010 server.

I am thinking that this is a limitation of Outlook 2007 itself.

JAUCG
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 3:52 AM
  • I was afraid of that...
    Friday, January 13, 2012 9:02 PM
  • Hi there,

I've found a solution for your issue... hope it's helpful

In outlook, click Tools and then Account Settings, press "change" - "more settings", go to the "Advanced" tab (where you configured the shared mailbox before" and untick the "Download shared folders" box, restart outlook and let's hope it works for you!

• Proposed as answer by sptan99 Thursday, November 1, 2012 1:58 AM
    Friday, January 20, 2012 10:52 AM
  • Hi there,

I've found a solution for your issue... hope it's helpful

In outlook, click Tools and then Account Settings, press "change" - "more settings", go to the "Advanced" tab (where you configured the shared mailbox before" and untick the "Download shared folders" box, restart outlook and let's hope it works for you!

I have the same issue but your solution doesn't work for me. I still get the message "The folder you selected does not let you search other folders at the same time. To search other folders, clear the check box next to this folder." (when searching in the shared mailbox and any sub-folders).

I have noticed a slowing-down of Outlook though. e.g. I opened a newly-received appointment to accept a meeting, but the Unread Mail search folder still showed the appointment as unread. Running Send/Receive manually cleared it as expected.

Richard

Richard Using Office 2007 on Windows 7.

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 8:49 AM
  • Our Exchange hosting provider recently encountered a glitch which required us to setup our Outlook profiles from scratch and reconnect to the "shared" mailboxes.  After doing so, I was experiencing issues with search (no results were ever returned and the "Search Subfolders" checkbox was not clickable.)   Anais's post resolved my issue.  THANK YOU!

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 5:10 PM
  • After loads of digging I found the solution to this.

You have to add the 'shared' mailbox to your e-mail accounts within 'Account Settings'. Go to New >> E-mail Account >> Manually Configure >> Microsoft Exchange (if obviously on the same exchange server), then add the server name and the username.

The Search tools will reference the core accounts setup within outlook, not the accounts the you have as a view through 'advanced'.

To confirm this has worked, click into the search area within Outlook (this then brings up the Search Tools Ribbon). Click on Search Tools >> Locations to Search, and the second added exchange mailbox will be listed.

Search away folks.

James.

Thursday, July 12, 2012 4:46 PM
  • James,

this won't work, since Outlook (at least 2007) does not allow more than one Exchange account to be set up.

Fritz.

• Proposed as answer by Kwang Whee Monday, January 28, 2013 11:08 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Kwang Whee Monday, January 28, 2013 11:09 PM
    Thursday, September 27, 2012 12:29 PM
  • Hi, 

After spending sometimes searching for solutions, unfortunately Outlook 2010 does not support searching multiple mailboxes at the same time.

This feature is supported in Microsoft Office 2013. 

Cheers,

KwangWhee

• Proposed as answer by omicronx90 Thursday, January 31, 2013 8:28 AM
    Monday, January 28, 2013 11:15 PM
  • This solution works under Outlook 2010.It lets you search on the sub folders, but you can only search on one each mailbox at the time.But the mailbox is not added to the search index on Outlook.

So i have 2 questions:

1)Is this really the corret solution? By default every outlook you configure,  the  option "download shared folders" is "checked".

We need to understand the reason that justifies this option to be "unchecked". Theres got to be a negative impact...

2)If that mailbox is not indexed by the outlook, who returns the search?The exchange server?

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 11:54 AM
  • Thansk you Anais!

It worked for me too.

That's great.

cheers

Friday, May 17, 2013 10:34 AM
  • This just worked for me; thanks

Filip

Thursday, July 24, 2014 1:03 PM
  • Thanks a lot. Saved my day. This is the solution nothing else.

Thanks man

Tuesday, September 5, 2017 6:03 PM