none
Outlook 2010, importing 2003 archive PST

Question

• Hi:

Have office 2003 exported the Outlook pst and the archive pst.  When I import them into Outlook 2010 it appears to combine them into one PST.  They do not show up as two different things under Personal folders and the size of the remaining PST is the size of the two original PSTs combined.  I would like to have the archive files remain like before... archived???

Thanks

T

Monday, March 14, 2011 9:54 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for contacting Office IT Pro Discussions Services.

From your description, I understand that when you import .pst files into Outlook 2010, it appears to combine Outlook .pst and the archive .pst into one PST. If there is any misunderstanding, please feel free to let me know.

Follow these steps to import your data into Outlook:

1.    If the .pst file that you want to import is stored on a removable device, such as a floppy disk, a portable hard disk drive, a CD-ROM, a magnetic tape cassette, or any other storage medium, insert or connect the storage device, and then copy the .pst file to the hard disk drive of the computer.

When you copy the .pst file, make sure that the Read-Only attribute is not selected. If this attribute is selected, you might receive the following error message:

The specified device, file, or path could not be accessed. It may have been deleted, it may be in use, you may be experiencing network problems, or you may not have sufficient permission to access it. Close any application using this file and try again.

If you receive this error message, clear the Read-Only attribute, and then copy the file again.

2.    Open Outlook.

3.    On the File menu, click Import And Export. If the command is not available, rest the pointer over the chevrons at the bottom of the menu, and then click Import and Export.

4.    Click Import from another program or file, and then click Next.

5.    Click Personal Folder File (.pst), and then click Next.

6.    Type the path and the name of the .pst file that you want to import, and then click Next.

7.    Select the folder that you want to import. To import everything in the .pst file, select the top of the hierarchy.

8.    Click Finish.

For detail, you can refer to the section “How to transfer Outlook data from one computer to another computer” in this KB article:

How to manage.pst files in Outlook 2007, in Outlook 2003, and in Outlook 2002

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287070

Note: The steps for Outlook 2010 are similar.

In addition, you also can refer to the following link:

How to move  all Outlook data and configuration:

http://www.slipstick.com/config/move_outlook.asp

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regard,

Nick Wan

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 9:42 AM
  • Nick:

Thanks for the reply!!  You understand the problem, and by doing what you describe you will have the problem.  I did just what you described and it combined the Outlook.pst and the archive.pst into one pst called user@something.pst.  I wanted to import them separately and have them remain separate and display separately.  But the two combined into one pst and one displaying.

Might you be able to suggest something else?? 

I am thinking that this is some default happening with importing separate pst into Office 2010.

???

Thanks,

T

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 10:02 PM
  • I tried this, but an error message popped up: "This Outlook data file (*.pst) is already in use in the current profile."  I have the same e-mail address in use in Outlook 2010, but why won't it import my old e-mails and contacts?  Thanks for any help. 
    Sunday, February 12, 2012 7:25 PM
  • T......I have the same problem you're having with importing older 2003 .PST data into new Outlook 2010.  I copied my .PST files from external drive to the hard drive.  On importing, it adds the .PST file name and all subdirectories to the main 2010 Outlook Data File and doesn't create a new Datafile in the side menu.

Does anyone know of another way for T & myself to import the Outlook 2003 .PST files so that they won't be merged with the existing 2010 default Data File?   Read only is not checked.

Thanks.

Monday, February 27, 2012 4:19 AM
    • If you have clicked the inbox from the PST file that was generated when you first ran the Outlook 2010 wizard, then you have SET THE FOCUS to that PST file (you can see them in file/account settings/data files)
    • If using W7 the same file(s) likely reside in a folder called [Outlook Files] at the root of the Documents library in the profile you are logged in as.  e.g. C:\Users\UserName.Domain\Documents\Outlook Files
    1. Create a new 2010 archive file and "attach" it to your outlook profile. You can simply run the Archiver and it will create one for you. Alternatively, you can mannully create/add PST files to your outlook profile and leave the new one as the "default". Then set the focus to that newly created Archive file. For example the newly created C:\Users\UserName.Domain\Documents\Outlook Files\[Archive].pst  Click on the inbox on the archive folder to set the focus to [Archive.pst].
    2. Select File/Open/Import then select "Import from another program or file" then select "Outlook Data (.pst) and navigate to your old file and import it.
    3. Importing your old pst file into one you've created in Outlook 2010 is also a good way to ensure that you have migrated to an Outlook 2010 pst file format, rather than just attaching a 2003/2007 pst file (2010 pst files are improved in many ways).

Hope this works for you; I have just done the same thing recently for few customers.

• Proposed as answer by Vin.Maddux Tuesday, March 20, 2012 6:06 PM
    Tuesday, March 20, 2012 6:05 PM
  • Hi Fox73,

from what I understand you actually want to import the exported file and the open the archive pst file. This way you'll have a seperate set of archive folders. You can open a pst file by choosing file -> open and then open outlook data (*.pst) file. You might also want to check that Outlook will use the correct pst file for archiving in the future so you don't end up with 3 .pst files.

Regards,

Paul

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 7:38 AM
  • < a href="http://inboxrepairtools.webnode.com/">I was using  outlook 2003 but i lost some pst file?? can anyone help me?</a>

Friday, March 15, 2013 7:02 AM