none
Storage Pool Recovery Question RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm using Server 2012 r2. I had an SSD OS failure and had to recover. When I did, my RAID array (6 - 3TB drives) were full and reporting errors. The 2 of them dropped off. I took my unit to a data recovery service and they accessed the drives, imaged them to 6 new 4TB drives, installed them into my server and returned it. I had to relocate 700 miles away, so getting them involved in not possible.

Now when I start my server up, I can see all 6 drives are offline. Disk Management shows all 6 drives and each one shows almost 3TB of data used. I'd like to extend the drives to make full use of the additional space. However, I don't want to lose the data on the drives. The extend drive online feature in disk management is not active, it is greyed out. 

Bringing the disk online in server 2012 r2 comes complete with warnings about data loss.

Could you provide any insight to how I need to proceed?

Thank you!

john

Saturday, October 19, 2019 5:29 PM

All replies

• Okay, what if, since the disks were imaged to larger disks, if I bring all 6 online. They should, theoretically(?) be intact and will resync(?). Then once that is completed, I could go back and extend each of the disks to account for the additional new room. Correct?
    Sunday, October 20, 2019 7:05 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your question. May I confirm your current situation?

1)YOu deploy a storage pool with 6 drives? What's their status in your pool by cmdlets "Get-physicaldisk"? Could you access the data on the virtual disk? 

2)Now , you'd like to extend the storage space with another new drives? "The extend drive online feature in disk management is not active, it is greyed out. "?

3)"Bringing the disk online in server 2012 r2 comes complete with warnings about data loss." After this, how about "get-physicaldisk" , "get-storagepool" and "get-virtualdisk"? Please refer to the following docs,

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/storage-spaces/storage-spaces-states

4) What's error or warning shown when you bring the disk online?

Highly appreciate your effort and time. If you have any question or concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, October 21, 2019 7:31 AM
  • Please forgive my tardiness. I have no internet other than hotspot from my cell phone. we moved to a very rural district. I believe i have to set up/configure mu server 2012 r2 before I can bring my disks online. Every time I try, I get an error notice that access is denied. I will be out of me home until late late next week. So I will be slow responding. Please forgive me.
    Thursday, October 24, 2019 12:59 AM
  • Hi,

I'm standing by for this case, just want to confirm the current situation of this issue.

Please feel free to let me know if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, October 29, 2019 10:32 AM
  • Please excuse my tardiness to answer. Yes, I am still having issues. I was traveling last week and will be leaving again in a few hours. It will be late this week before I can turn my attention to this issue once again.

Thank you for your willingness to help! I'll be back Thursday or Friday.

John

Tuesday, October 29, 2019 1:08 PM
  • Hi, I think I found something here. I pulled all 6 drives, since I couldn't see all of them in the Disk Management. I pulled the new SSD card and reinstalled the SSD that I thought had failed. Then as I pushed each of the disks in consecutively, they registered. And more than that, the whole OS came back with all the settings from my original set up. :) Then as I made it through the 5th disk, the RAID came on like magic! I know I was working with 6 3TB drives, but in this case 5 lit up the RAID. I might have had one set as hot swap, I don't remember. Anyway, got it running and was able to recover my photos, muis and other files to a new separate HDD. 

Now, I have dedup errors on the RAID. I'm a newbie at this RAID setup stiff, so I'm not sure what I'm talking about. Just enough to be dangerous. I think I have a complete backup now. Do I need to do something to turn off the de-duplication in windows server 2012 r2? I still need to extend each of the disks from 3TB to 4TB to gain room on the RAID.

Thanks,

john

Friday, November 8, 2019 4:47 PM