none
Quick Parts Disappear

Question

• I have a user who uses Quick Parts in Outlook to quickly enter information she uses regularly.  (Example: "Please call our front desk and they will contact me to come seat you.")

She correctly creates the Quick Part by highlighting the text and saving it as a Quick Part in the NormalEmail.dotm template.

The text will be available for use immediately after she has saved the text, however later in the day (or following day) the text will not be available.  All of her Quick Parts will have disappeared.  She does not close email or reboot the machine during that time.  She will leave her machine on overnight or all day and will leave Outlook running at all times.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, June 02, 2010 4:04 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on the current situation, this issue may occur when the contents are not properly saved in the NormalEmail.dotm template before Outlook closes. It is always the best that practice that we close the application completely before shutting down the OS. Some add-in can still hold on to Outlook.exe. So, if we turn off the OS before Outlook shuts down properly, there might be not enough time for the new contents to be saved in the NormalEmail.dotm template.

Now let’s troubleshoot the issue by the suggestions below:

Step 1: Disable the fast shutdown feature in Outlook

==============

1.       Click Start > Run, type regedit and press Enter, or click Start, in the Search box, type regedit and press Enter.

2.       Locate the following registry subkey accordingly to your version of Outlook:  

For Office 2007: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\Options\Shutdown

For Office 2010: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\Options\Shutdown

3.       There is a value data: DWORD: DisableFastShutdown, please set its value to 1.

Note: If the registry does not exist, you can create it there.

In Outlook, create some words and save it in Quick Parts. Then, close Outlook and restart the computer to check if the quick part exists. If the problem persists, let’s continue.

Step 2: Disable third-party running programs and start Outlook in safe mode

==============

1.       Please disable all the running third-party programs.

2.       Click Start, point to All Programs, and then point to Microsoft Office.

3.       Press and hold the CTRL key, and then click the Microsoft Outlook.

In Outlook, create some words and save it in Quick Parts. Then, close Outlook and restart the computer to check if the quick part exists. If the problem does not occur in the safe mode, this issue might be related to some third-party add-ins in the Office program, we can try to disable them.

If the problem persists, let’s continue.

Step 3: End the OUTLOOK.EXE process

================

1.       In Outlook, create some words and save it in Quick Parts.

2.       Close the Outlook program.

3.       Click Start > Run, type taskmgr.exe and press Enter, or click Start, in the Search box, type taskmgr.exe and press Enter.

4.       Click the Processes tab, check if OUTLOOK.EXE is there. If it is there, click on it and then click the End button to end the process.

5.       Restart the computer and check the results again.

Please take your time to try the suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Tuesday, June 08, 2010 2:24 AM
    Thursday, June 03, 2010 2:59 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on the current situation, this issue may occur when the contents are not properly saved in the NormalEmail.dotm template before Outlook closes. It is always the best that practice that we close the application completely before shutting down the OS. Some add-in can still hold on to Outlook.exe. So, if we turn off the OS before Outlook shuts down properly, there might be not enough time for the new contents to be saved in the NormalEmail.dotm template.

Now let’s troubleshoot the issue by the suggestions below:

Step 1: Disable the fast shutdown feature in Outlook

==============

1.       Click Start > Run, type regedit and press Enter, or click Start, in the Search box, type regedit and press Enter.

2.       Locate the following registry subkey accordingly to your version of Outlook:  

For Office 2007: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\Options\Shutdown

For Office 2010: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\Options\Shutdown

3.       There is a value data: DWORD: DisableFastShutdown, please set its value to 1.

Note: If the registry does not exist, you can create it there.

In Outlook, create some words and save it in Quick Parts. Then, close Outlook and restart the computer to check if the quick part exists. If the problem persists, let’s continue.

Step 2: Disable third-party running programs and start Outlook in safe mode

==============

1.       Please disable all the running third-party programs.

2.       Click Start, point to All Programs, and then point to Microsoft Office.

3.       Press and hold the CTRL key, and then click the Microsoft Outlook.

In Outlook, create some words and save it in Quick Parts. Then, close Outlook and restart the computer to check if the quick part exists. If the problem does not occur in the safe mode, this issue might be related to some third-party add-ins in the Office program, we can try to disable them.

If the problem persists, let’s continue.

Step 3: End the OUTLOOK.EXE process

================

1.       In Outlook, create some words and save it in Quick Parts.

2.       Close the Outlook program.

3.       Click Start > Run, type taskmgr.exe and press Enter, or click Start, in the Search box, type taskmgr.exe and press Enter.

4.       Click the Processes tab, check if OUTLOOK.EXE is there. If it is there, click on it and then click the End button to end the process.

5.       Restart the computer and check the results again.

Please take your time to try the suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Tuesday, June 08, 2010 2:24 AM
    Thursday, June 03, 2010 2:59 AM
  • Sally,

Thank you for your response.

I agree with you that it seems that the issue is that the Quick Parts text is not being saved correctly in the NormalEmail.dotm file.  One point of clarification though is that the user NEVER closes her Outlook.  She leaves her machine running 24/7 and Outlook open during that time as well.  There are rare occasions when she needs to reboot or windows updates turn her machine off but on a general basis the machine is up and Outlook is constantly running.

I was thinking I should backup and then delete the normalemail.dotm file and see if this resolves the issue?  Is there any other information in the normalemail.dotm file that I will lose if I do that?

Thanks,

Mark

Thursday, June 03, 2010 2:27 PM
  • Hi Mark,

Normally, by renaming the normalemail.dotm, no other information will be lost. To avoid unexpected errors, we can back up the file first.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Monday, June 07, 2010 1:47 AM
  • Users at my site have the same problem; Outlook quick parts are lost once Outlook is shut down. We are using Office 2007 SP2 on Windows XP SP3. I have tried the suggestions above without success i.e. have added the shutdown registry key, confirmed with task manager that Outlook shuts down, tried renaming/deleting the normalemail.dotm file in case it is corrupt (incidentally, Outlook did not recreate the file), confirmed I have sufficient file access rights to add/modify/delete files in the normalemail.dotm folder; disabled all Outlook addins, started Outlook in safe mode. None of this helped. By-the-bye, Word quick parts do work properly.
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 1:03 AM
  • Sally,

I am having the same problems with quick parts disappearing on outlook 2010 and have carried out all of the above steps and it still does not work.

Like user PolarisIT Email is an essential part of our working system and quick parts was invaluable in the 2007 version where it worked perrfectly.

I nned to set up quick parts ASAP as alot of wasted time is spent re-typing where it should be aut-fill using quickparts.

Please hel ASAP

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 6:56 AM
  • I am having the same issues. I see numerous posts across the internet, some as far back as 2008 - so there are many people not able to utilize this feature. But as with this scenario here - I see no additional resolution or fix when we (the afflicted) say that we still cannot get this feature working. 
    Friday, April 01, 2011 1:36 PM
  • Sally 

I do not see shutdown under options in my registry folder.  Everything up to that point matches. You mention "if the registry does not exist, you can create it there". If that would be the instructions you would have me follow - I do not know how to do that and would need to have a second set of instructions that describe the steps by which I am to create the missing element. 

Having said that - I have tried all the other scenarios listed. Quick parts is "GONE" in ALL instances. I don't even have to shut down the computer - they are gone the minute I exit Outlook and re-open. Speaking of re-open, when I re-open by holding the CTRL key - that did not appear to open the program any differently. I'm not sure what to expect, but when I look under tools/trust center/Add-Ins, there still appears to be a shortened list (I disabled all but those that were from Microsoft and the Window indexer.) of active application add-ins. 

Thanks

TM

Friday, April 01, 2011 1:55 PM
  • Has anyone ever managed to fix this problem? I have the same issue in Outlook 2010. Outlook will not create a normalemail.dotm file and if you do it manually outlook wont save anything to it.

Monday, June 06, 2011 3:34 PM
  • I am having the same problem with Quick Parts failing to save in Microsoft Outlook 2010.  I have followed your troubleshooting steps to the letter, but the problem persists.  Are there any further steps to try?  I deal with a large volume of customer service e-mail that requires repetitive responses, so I am very anxious to find a fix.
    Monday, June 13, 2011 3:06 PM
  • Same problem on Outlook 2013. All my QuickParts just disappeared. :(
    Friday, February 22, 2013 2:44 PM