none
Lync skype for Business 2015 Publish "SqlConnectionFailure: Failed to connect to SQL Server" RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to deploy a Lync/skype for business 2015 on a fresh vm.  I cannot requuest, install, or assign Certificates as I get the error "Not Available: Local machine not present in local configuration store".  When I try to publish the topology I get "SqlConnectionFailure: Failed to connect to SQL Server and failed to fine SQL service.
    Thursday, January 14, 2016 9:43 PM

Answers

• The issue ended up being that the SQL server needed to HAVE the firewall ON which completely makes no sense.  So my FE server had it off and SQL had it on.  Then I had to rename the CSdata folder to .old and it went through fine.

Monday, January 18, 2016 4:25 PM

All replies

• Hi sentinelice,

If it’s a Standard Edition deployment, please make sure you have run “Prepare first Standard Edition Server”.

If it’s an Enterprise Edition Deployment, please check the connectivity to the back end SQL server instance and verify that the account that you logged in to install have DB Admin, DB Creator authentication on the SQL Server. Also check if the SQL Server allowed to accept connections using TCP.

Best regards,

Eric

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 15, 2016 3:06 AM
  • it is the domain administrator account.  See attached permissons.  Yes this is enterprise and the prep goes through fine.  This is under security.  

• Edited by sentinelice Friday, January 15, 2016 4:04 PM
    Friday, January 15, 2016 4:01 PM
  • Are you trying to install a Standard Edition or Enterprise Edition pool?  If it's Standard, have you run the prepare first wizard yet?

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Friday, January 15, 2016 4:45 PM
  • The Goal is to have the Lync database on our SQL server.  I am following this guide:

http://windowspbx.blogspot.com/2012/07/step-by-step-installing-lync-server.html?showComment=1452798717750#c8205589341302885065

The only difference is we do not want express.  We have SQL 2014 Standard.  That being said, I am trying to use enterprise.  I have already done the Prepare First Standard Edition Server but when I try to publish I cannot connect to the DB therefore cannot get to step 3

Friday, January 15, 2016 4:50 PM
  • Then you can't use Lync Standard, and that article can't help you.  You need to install SQL 2014 on a separate box.  This article is closer to what you want: https://mchahla.wordpress.com/2013/01/13/installing-microsoft-lync-server-2013-enterprise-on-windows-server-2012/

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Friday, January 15, 2016 5:20 PM
  • I have SQL 2014 Standard on another box.  I dont' need multiple FE servers.  I just want the DB on our SQL server.  I also think I found the issue.  I created a db called RTC when it should have been a separate instance called RTC.  Now I no longer get the error and it's installing but errors on 

AdComputerObjectNotFound: Active Directory computer not found.

• Edited by sentinelice Friday, January 15, 2016 5:37 PM
    Friday, January 15, 2016 5:26 PM
  • Don't worry about what the instance is called, and you can run with a single server in your Enterprise pool.  You also don't want to run the prepare standard wizard anymore since this is Enterprise.  Don't create a DB at all, just create an empty instance that you have admin rights to.  Then specify the FQDN in the topology builder with the instance.  Something like sql01.company.com\RTC if RTC is your instance name.

If that doesn't work, please post a picture of what you're trying to do.

Friday, January 15, 2016 5:43 PM
  • that does work I am now get AdComputerObjectNotFound: Active Directory computer not found.

Friday, January 15, 2016 5:51 PM
  • The blocked out part after Could not locate Host.  Is that an FQDN that exists within Active Directory?  SQLServer01.YourDomain.Local?  Or is it just your domain name in there?

Friday, January 15, 2016 6:00 PM
  • It only list YourDomain.local and not the host 

Where would I adjust that?

Friday, January 15, 2016 6:53 PM
  • In the topology builder, you need to edit your pool and add the SQL server as SQLServerName.YourDomain.Local and in the Instance box put the server instance. Then try to republish.

Friday, January 15, 2016 7:01 PM
  • After following your link above I got closer!  Now I get Error: An error occurred: "System.InvalidOperationException" "Cluster ID is not consistent with current deployment."
    • Edited by sentinelice Friday, January 15, 2016 7:24 PM
    Friday, January 15, 2016 7:05 PM
  • You may have to start with a fresh topology then.  Did any databases get created in your server? I'm not sure how the topology published at all.

Friday, January 15, 2016 7:28 PM
  • that was with a fresh topology
    Friday, January 15, 2016 7:35 PM
  • Ahhh. So does your front end pool reference the full FQDN of the SQL server now?

Friday, January 15, 2016 7:40 PM
  • yes I think we are good now on that part.  I read that I may have to completely the connection point so I am trying that now
    Friday, January 15, 2016 7:57 PM
  • Ugh, looks like at this point some people have trashed and completely started over.  Hope you have better luck with the connection point:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/lync/en-US/ce5ef3db-583d-4ba5-b07a-de420fa21bc9/problems-publishing-topology-lync-rtm?forum=ocsplanningdeployment

Friday, January 15, 2016 8:04 PM
  • why would I have to start over?
    Friday, January 15, 2016 8:05 PM
  • If it decided that a CMS exists in a SQL Server that doesn't but didn't let you override it for whatever reason.  Some people have had to take drastic measures.  You can see people with that error in the comments here: http://blog.ucmadeeasy.com/2010/11/09/lync-server-2010-active-directory-references-and-how-to-remove-them/

Friday, January 15, 2016 8:07 PM
  • do I still use ADSI edit if I completely start from fresh?
    Friday, January 15, 2016 8:31 PM
  • Only if you have to I suppose.  I have yet to need to start over like this... Just considering the last resort.

Friday, January 15, 2016 8:32 PM
  • what server is he expecting to put in (msRTCSIP-TrustedServerFQDN=SERVERFQDN).  The Lync server?  I am getting no results

• Edited by sentinelice Friday, January 15, 2016 9:46 PM
    Friday, January 15, 2016 8:39 PM
  • Hi sentinelice,

If it's null, then you can go to re-pulish the topology.

Moreover, please check the firewall rule and ensure Lync Servers can connect to SQL Server.

Best regards,

Eric

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Sunday, January 17, 2016 9:59 AM
  • The issue ended up being that the SQL server needed to HAVE the firewall ON which completely makes no sense.  So my FE server had it off and SQL had it on.  Then I had to rename the CSdata folder to .old and it went through fine.

Monday, January 18, 2016 4:25 PM
  • you saved my day ! 
    Tuesday, August 21, 2018 9:17 AM