none
Outlook 2003 will not open; "Cannot start MS Office Outlook. Unable to open the outlook window. The set of folders could not be opened."

Question

• I used Outlook Connector to create two new accounts in Outlook 2003 to import Hotmail & Livemail email [just completed a full restore of WinXp Home & installation of Office 2003 Pro]. Then I used the import file option to restore the HotMail and LiveMail pst files previously backed up. The Outlook nav pane indicated that email had been imported into the restored MAPI accounts [numbers appearing beside the folder names] but the reading pane was blank. I went to the select profile window and there were three profiles listed; Personal Folders, Hotmail and Livemail. I selected the Hotmail profile and then tried to restart Outlook to see if the email had reappeared - and got the alert, "Cannot start MS Office Outlook. Unable to open the outlook window. The set of folders could not be opened." I have completely uninstalled and reinstalled Office 2003 via the Control Panel twice without success. I have office 2010 available to install but this is running on an old laptop and 2010 runs s-l-o-w. Would prefer to keep  2003. Suggestions? Thanks !!!
    James Falkner
    Friday, August 05, 2011 6:20 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Have Try to repair the pst file if not repair it first after that it will open.

For repairing pst file pls go to the below link.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287497

I ran the Inbox Repair Tool but "step 2" assumes that you can open Outlook to recover the files. THAT is the problem. Outlook won't even open/start.

What other suggestions might work?

THanks Jim

Regards

Praveen

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

James Falkner

Closing this issue >>> I used the Restore function and all has returned to normal. Thanks for the input. //Jim

• Marked as answer by jayhawkjim Friday, August 05, 2011 10:47 PM
    Friday, August 05, 2011 10:03 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Regards

Praveen

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, August 05, 2011 7:44 PM
  • Hi,

I ran the Inbox Repair Tool but "step 2" assumes that you can open Outlook to recover the files. THAT is the problem. Outlook won't even open/start.

What other suggestions might work?

THanks Jim

Regards

Praveen

James Falkner

Closing this issue >>> I used the Restore function and all has returned to normal. Thanks for the input. //Jim

• Marked as answer by jayhawkjim Friday, August 05, 2011 10:47 PM
    Friday, August 05, 2011 10:03 PM
  • Hi,

Do these two steps.

1. First try to open outlook in safe mode with default settings .

clik on run type "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\OUTLOOK.EXE" /safe

if the location of outlook.exe is diffrent pls change it and press enter.

Is outlook open in safe mode? if no check in task manger that outlook.exe service is running or not.

post the result.

Regards

Praveen

Saturday, August 06, 2011 2:49 AM