none
"Search Service Application" no longer works. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Hope you can help again.

In short, about 3 months ago I had created a "Search Service Application". It worked.

NOTE: Our SaherPoint 2016 is on the same server as our TFS 2018.

While I was away on vacation, there was an update done to the TFS 2018 databases. After that, the "SEARCH" in SharePoint stopped working. Don't ask me why. I have to clue. Coincidence? Maybe.

Problem is that I have tried everything to fix it. I even deleted the whole "Search Service Application" in Central Admin and nothing doing. This the error I get.

Unable to retrieve topology component health states. This may be because the admin component is not up and running.

Any idea what else I can try.

Thanks.

Wednesday, September 4, 2019 11:49 AM

All replies

• Hi  Next1On,

From the error, please go to Central Administration > System Settings > Manage services on server >check the SharePoint Server Search service running or not. If not running, restart it.

And go to services.msc > check the SharePoint Search HostController service and SharePoint Server Search 16 service running or not, if not running, restart it, and the default Startup Type is Automatic for the former service and Manual for the latter.

After all services have been activated, note the status of the search topology in CA, if there are any errors occur, consider replacing the problematic component with PowerShell, and here are some articles for your reference:

Manage the search topology in SharePoint Server

Change the default search topology in SharePoint Server

Manage search components in SharePoint Server

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Thursday, September 5, 2019 7:59 AM
  • Hi Everyone. Sorry for the very late reply.

Well, the only thing that worked for me is to delete the Search Service Application and all it's Databasses and Info and start from scratch, asfter the third time.

Thanks everyone.

Tuesday, September 24, 2019 1:03 PM
  • Hi Next1On,

Thanks for your sharing.

You can mark your post as answer to help other community members to find the information quickly.

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Wednesday, September 25, 2019 1:57 AM