none
Reset graphics and monitor registry settings

Question

• Hello, I have connected many different monitors and combinations of monitors either directly or via KVM switch. As a result, these registry keys have a ton of extraneous entries:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Connectivity

The problem is that one of the monitors (a Sceptre X24WG-Naga) is not properly recognized. Sometimes it's identified as a Dell E228WFP, or a Dell 2209WA (both of those monitors are also connected at the same time), or it's identified as "EmulatorMode" (the ConnectPro KVM switch provides that), or "Generic PnP Monitor", depending on how and where you look. The result is that I cannot use the monitor's native resolution (16:10 1920x1200). The maximum resolution available is 1280x1024

The above mentions registry keys seem to retain a permanent record of every monitor configuration every connected to the computer. I can't tell if the problem I'm having with the monitor is related to these extraneous entries or not. I'd like to (safely) remove them and start over.

I'm thinking that if I uninstall the NVidia drivers so that the system is only using the laptop's built in display (the laptop is a Dell E6410), then I should be able to delete everything except the standard keys required for the plain vanilla VGA.

Does anyone know what those are, or any other way to get there from here?

Friday, April 12, 2013 12:21 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

I'm trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay.

Thanks.

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Saturday, April 13, 2013 7:50 AM
  • Hi Jay,

First of all, I would like to explain the reigstry you mentioned in your post

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\GDI\Drivers\Display, by default, GWES loads a driver named Ddi.dll. To change the name of the default display driver, use the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\GDI\Drivers\Display registry key to override the default display driver DLL name.

The registry key should be placed in your Platform.reg file.

For more information about this registry key, please refer to Microsoft article:

Display Driver Registry Settings (Windows CE 5.0)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa447504.aspx

Regarding HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration,  Please refer to the following forum post:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/windows-7-movesresizes-windows-on-monitor-power/1653aafb-848b-464a-8c69-1a68fbd106aa

Please refer to the workaround that the forum post mentioned as following:

Using Sysinternals ProcessMonitor I found that Windows was accessing the following Registry path;

My system had three entries;
    DELF003YY7707BR0MUL_30_07D7_6A^9A3774EB79DEE3E3E38496CC7DF4D936
    QHD32000001_31_07D6_D5^63E1ABDD175E7871DCAEB710418A0F75
    SIMULATED_8086_2A42_00000000_00020000_1010100^CDE365D1B3F0942F0CF38BFB8E127AB4

Under each is a tree called "00" two of the keys are
    PrimSurfSize.cx
    PrimSurfSize.cy

Under "00" was another branch also called "00" two of the keys are;
    ActiveSize.cx
    ActiveSize.cy

The first two of the configs (ie DELF00... & QHD3...) the above keys were 1440x900,
    so they were not involved.

The third (SIMULATED...) were set to 1024x768.

I changed these to 1600x900 and the problem was solved.

Further I changed resolution (via control panel) to 1920x1080, the moving/resize issue returned,
    but the lower right corner was set to 1600x900, ie the SIMULATED... settings.

Hope this will help, and please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Proposed as answer by daveemmo Tuesday, December 23, 2014 5:24 PM
    Wednesday, April 17, 2013 3:00 AM
  • Hi Jay,

How are you?

Please let me know if the issue is still there. and if you have any questions please tell me, I will be very happy to help you with it.

Thank you.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, April 19, 2013 8:04 AM
  • The key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\GDI\Drivers\Display doesn't exist in the registry (that's specific to Windows CE, right?)

Thank you for the information, but unfortunately the workaround mentioned in the article you quoted had no effect.

At this point, I'm trying to eliminate variables to see if there is any way to make this Sceptre monitor work properly on the DVI port. What I want to do is to return the computer to the state is was in just after installing Windows. In other words, remove all existing knowledge of display drivers and displays that have ever been installed and connected to the computer - without resorting to reinstalling windows.

The registry keys that seem to me involved are:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY

If I can find out which keys are involved, along with an export of them from a newly-installed operating system, maybe I could reset mine to those values...

Friday, April 19, 2013 3:07 PM
  • Hi Jay,

Thanks for your reply,

I have helped you to search the registry keys you mentioned, and I found the following article talks about this registry keys, hope this article is helpful for you:

TDR Registry Keys

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff569918(v=vs.85).aspx

Cleaning Up Old PC Monitor Data

http://myitforum.com/myitforumwp/2012/09/24/cleaning-up-old-pc-monitor-data/

Hope this article will help you to reset your monitor values.

Please let me know if you need any help from me.

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 8:15 AM
  • Hi Jay,

How are you?

Is there any update regarding this issue? Is there any question you have?

Thank you

• Proposed as answer by Mr.Inadept Sunday, January 18, 2015 8:02 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Mr.Inadept Sunday, January 18, 2015 8:02 AM
    Thursday, May 02, 2013 6:07 AM
  • Please refer to the workaround that the forum post mentioned as following:

Using Sysinternals ProcessMonitor I found that Windows was accessing the following Registry path;

My system had three entries;
    DELF003YY7707BR0MUL_30_07D7_6A^9A3774EB79DEE3E3E38496CC7DF4D936
    QHD32000001_31_07D6_D5^63E1ABDD175E7871DCAEB710418A0F75
    SIMULATED_8086_2A42_00000000_00020000_1010100^CDE365D1B3F0942F0CF38BFB8E127AB4

Under each is a tree called "00" two of the keys are
    PrimSurfSize.cx
    PrimSurfSize.cy

Under "00" was another branch also called "00" two of the keys are;
    ActiveSize.cx
    ActiveSize.cy

The first two of the configs (ie DELF00... & QHD3...) the above keys were 1440x900,
    so they were not involved.

The third (SIMULATED...) were set to 1024x768.

I changed these to 1600x900 and the problem was solved.

Further I changed resolution (via control panel) to 1920x1080, the moving/resize issue returned,
    but the lower right corner was set to 1600x900, ie the SIMULATED... settings.

Hope this will help, and please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you.

Over 1 year later nothing has changed and the faults are also present and not fix able. Congratulation MS you are again not able to deliver an hand able system for enduser. Is not the money worth.

Sunday, January 18, 2015 8:06 AM
  • Hi !

I've clean registery for "DISPLAY" by using "DDU", here : http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Run as admin, and do recommanded actions.

I Hope it will help someone here :)

• Edited by Gonth Thursday, November 24, 2016 5:22 PM
    Thursday, November 24, 2016 5:21 PM
  • Sorry to give this topic a kick again but does anyone know how to change the default behaviour for connecting external monitors from 'clone' to 'external'. We currently have 60 Surface Pro's which are connected through the Surface Dockingstation to an external monitor (Dell P2210). We work with flex workspaces, so you can basically sit anywhere you like. This means that in the registry an entry for each monitor you're using is written. What we normally see is that when you sit on an a workplace where you have never sit before, your screen goes into 'clone' mode.

We would like to force the setting 'Extend this displays' (or external in the registry).

Hopefully someone has experience in this. (I've read about hardware profiles, but that was before w10).

Kind regards,
    Len

sysadmin KNB

Tuesday, December 13, 2016 2:28 PM