none
Managed Metadata and Infopath RRS feed

All replies

• It is indeed related.  If you noticed, I'm the last poster on that thread...
    Senchin
    Friday, May 14, 2010 1:56 PM
  • Senchin, I have a meeting with the InfoPath team this morning, so I'll bring up this topic.
    SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    Friday, May 14, 2010 2:35 PM
  • I have a quick question regarding this issue.

Technically, there are three possible intersections between Infopath and EMM (as far as I see things).  There is the DIP customizations, custom infopath forms that are hosted on the server and filled out using a browser (Infopath Forms Server) and there are infopath forms filled out using the infopath client application.

Which of these are you needing to implement?  Can you use the full InfoPath client for data entry, or does it need to be accessible via browser?

Pat.

Monday, May 17, 2010 6:30 PM
  • I would think the vast majority of needs would be one you didn't mention, which is using InfoPath for List Forms (these can only be browser forms), which then can be used for very robust mashups within InfoPath Form Web Parts.  Every list (and library, but lists mainly) that I create use planned metadata, and then I had planned to customize most of my list forms with InfoPath so that I could make them extremely robust.  It looks like now we may not be able to EVER use InfoPath in this way if we're leveraging managed metadata...or vice versa...if we want to use the cool features of InfoPath, then we won't be able to use managed metadata.

I did bring this up in detail with the InfoPath team on Friday.  They were going to discuss it and get back with me.

Monday, May 17, 2010 7:15 PM
  • Hello all !

Like Clayton said, my main goal is to be able to customize with Infopath List Forms that leverages Managed Metadata.

Thank you for keeping me posted !

Senchin
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 3:32 PM
  • So being able to use Infopath Forms Server to set the values of a list item using a browser.

I keep bringing up the browser vs. the client app because the client app contains the logic for handling the EMM fields, while the forms server does not.

Pat.

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 3:56 PM
  • So being able to use Infopath Forms Server to set the values of a list item using a browser.

I keep bringing up the browser vs. the client app because the client app contains the logic for handling the EMM fields, while the forms server does not.

Pat.

Since list forms are browser forms, then yeah.  Rich client forms are not a common practice in the real world, since so few people have InfoPath, and it will be even worse for InfoPath 2010, because it will take time for organizations to move to Office 2010, and it's not a good idea to mix versions of Office.  Lastly, there is currently no alternative for a Mac user, and my clients have heavy Mac usage.  Regardless, the new list form capability is an unbelievably, incredible capability that is at the forefront of every demo I do and every conversation I have with people about the awesomeness of 2010.  To have such a capability without being able to use MMS would be debilitating.  I've already brought up with the product team just to see if there is anything we can do.

I would push hard for this to be in SP1 if it's possible.

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 4:05 PM
  • I completely agree.  Infopath client app is a no-go for most of our customers also.  And like Clayton, two things tend to grab the attention of customers while in pre-sale (at least, for those that had to live with the shortcomings of MOSS), Infopath browser forms and MMS !  To have one without the other will cost us sales.
    Senchin
    Wednesday, May 19, 2010 10:04 PM
  • So, while we wait for SP1, in hope that the feature will be added, lets get back to the original question.

Does anyone has an idea on how to workaround the limitation ?  If I have a list with both feature, does it mean that MMS fields can only be edited in Datasheet View (I'm not even sure it's supported).

Did anyone tried to do something else.  Pat is saying that the MMS integration with Infopath exists for client app forms.  I assume that, technically speaking, there is some solutions to the problem...

Senchin
    Friday, May 21, 2010 5:48 PM
  • So what happened here? This is really an annoying limitation. I am in the midst of creating solutions which rely heavily on metadata, and where I need to change the original list forms using infoPath 2010. Pat, any plans on solving this soon?

Henning

Thursday, June 24, 2010 12:54 PM
  • It's not going to be solved as far as I can tell.  The InfoPath team said it won't be in a service pack.
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 2:01 PM
  • I'm going to sound all corporate here for a minute.

We hear and understand the request and the underlying scenario completely, loud and clear.  However I can't make any statement as to future plans, other than to say that currently there are no plans to deliver this in a service pack.  I wish I could be more concrete, but I can't be.

Pat.

Thursday, June 24, 2010 6:16 PM
  • Clayton, Pat,

Thank you both for the follow up. 

I guess we are back to square one on this one.  Can anybody suggest any kind of workaround, like creating custom controls ?  I guess that if the feature is not planned for any future service packs releases, it's because there is some major issues to implementing such functionality and that we will be hard pressed to do this on our own.

Senchin

Senchin
    Friday, June 25, 2010 8:34 PM
  • Saying that reponse is disapointing is a hugh understatement....especially when there is Microsoft content on the web talking about this feature.  How can Microsoft invest so much in Taxonmy and the improvement of list forms and missing this critical intersection???   It is also my understanding that this feature was avaialble in the beta product?  If so, why was it removed.

I personnaly believe this is an unacceptable response from Microsoft and I stronly believe everybody needs to fight to keep this issue alive and at the very front of the queue.

Sunday, August 8, 2010 8:56 PM
  • I too am disappointed to learn that infopath web forms will not support MMS. I don't think it's too light of a statement to say that this puts our fledgling 2010 intranet plan into question and I am now going to recommend that our organization not invest in infopath development for enterprise forms.
    Monday, August 16, 2010 1:05 PM
  • I know it's not helping the issue at all, but I do like to add that I'm highly disappointed. This definitely degrades the business case for me to upgrade to 2010. The lack of an alternative and the lack of communication from MS doesn’t help either.

Monday, September 13, 2010 10:49 AM
  • So I think we've been fairly clear from a MS perspective.  It isn't supported in the RTM of Office 2010.  We hear loud and clear that there is a demand for EMM + InfoPath Forms Server List views.

It's not possible to do this on your own, as the infopath forms server part of the solution has a hard coded set of field types that it understands.  You can create custom infopath forms with EMM fields as custom property panel solutions that are displayed in Word/Excel/PowerPoint, but not as an "upsized" list.

You can create custom edit forms for list items, but again, they won't have the infopath bits backing them.  They would have to be a custom solution.

Note that there are a few field types supported in SharePoint as a whole that don't have an equivalent in the infopath forms server world.  I believe the BDC field is the same.

It is a fair chunk of work to get a field supported in InfoPath forms server list upsizing, and this is the first release with the feature.  There are tradeoffs during the development and stabilization of the features.  For the EMM InfoPath feature, we couldn't get the code to the quality bar that we wanted in the time we had, and the rich client (Word/Excel/PPT) customization was deemed higher priority ( as were things like search refinements, multi-lingual support, service federation, enterprise keywords, etc.)

I'd like to think that there is more to the 2010 release than upsized lists + emm fields, and that it is still a compelling release.

I hope that clarifies things, even if it is not the response that I realize you are hoping for.

Pat.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 1:55 AM
  • Pat, Thanks for the reply and the clarification.
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 6:10 AM
  • Pat, there is of course tons more in SP2010, but MMS is a massive feature, and list forms are also a huge improvement over 2007.  I use taxonomy as a staple, and I use InfoPath everywhere.  InfoPath list forms blow every other possibility away when working with lists, but now we can't use them PERIOD unless we don't use MMS, which is perhaps the #1 new feature of all.  These two being mutually exclusive is a major, major blow.
    Planet Technologies || SharePoint Task Force
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 8:41 AM
  • I have to agree with everyone complaining about this missing feature. I would like to see this in a service pack and don't think it would be much effort for an infopath engineer to work these things into the core. The fact that the InfoPath VSTA runs in Visual Studio 2005 still is insane! It looks like the SharePoint team missed any and all conversations with the InfoPath developers on numerous occasions. I have been complaining about Forms development in SharePoint since 2.0 and it has yet to be a well rounded solution. The idea that a feature so core to the workflows, lists, and overall sharepoint extensibility and platform "story" is an after-thought, makes me wonder who at Microsoft is still working to argue against giving this feature attention. Enough with the excuses is all I am trying to say! It is what it is because you say it is, so stop saying that it is that way and start making some changes. ;)

The response provided makes it look like the topic had to be raised with a team that has not even started to look at the Taxonomy in InfoPath until this thread started. At least attempt to give us a target release date or a beta or something in this Service Pack. The customers need to see some momentum in the right direction; otherwise, we can't pitch anything or make any key decisions about where to focus our own efforts.

Thanks! 

Monday, November 22, 2010 6:59 AM
  • I would push hard for this to be in SP1 if it's possible.
    If you're on the Beta, please start a new feature request or bug so that we can start pushing this feature up in priority!
    Monday, November 22, 2010 7:03 AM
  • Thomas, I brought it up with the InfoPath team way back when RTM released, and they said that it WAS baked into the Beta but that they couldn't finish it in time and have to remove it in lieu of other features.  By that, I don't mean the InfoPath team alone "removed" it, but that as a whole, it did not make the cut for features to cram in before final release.  So, it wasn't an afterthought, and they have already begun working on it, but there was no indication that they were going to add it at SP1 or even later unfortunately.  I'll keep pushing on this topic to let them know how incredibly important it is.

I am in the SP1 Beta, so I'll provide lots of feedback on it.

Monday, November 22, 2010 3:33 PM
  • Just started working with the Meta data, and I loved it, and that love was crushed when I couldn't use it in Info path. Who do I have to complain to?

Saturday, November 27, 2010 2:37 PM
  • I've played around with MMS before and found it's a great feature (esp the auto suggestion and linked with tag cloud), after all i start to use InfoPath to customize all my list form and found it's no way back to use the traditional way (even though all our staff got InfoPath installed but it's still better UI to use web form) However, i just know that MMS is not usable at InfoPath list form. What a HUGE disappointment!!!!!!
    Wednesday, December 8, 2010 2:14 AM
  • I agree, this is very disappointing.  What does Microsoft recommend as a workaround?

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 11:19 PM
  • January 31 2011, I've so far changed of employers two times and recommended time and time again customers NOT to move to Managed Metadata, given the limitation of Infopath.  I recommend using traditional lookups instead and blame MS for forcing me to do so.  Please tell me that after having started this thread more than 6 months ago, something moved !  Clayton ?
    Senchin
    Monday, January 31, 2011 8:22 PM
  • I am in complete agreement.  I have decided not to use taxonomy because of the issues with infopath.  I have decided I need the ability to custom the list interface and use infopath forms more than taxonomy.  But I now find myself do the standard hacks to share taxonomy style list that are centrally maintained.   If only BDC had support for SharePoint list OOTB without web services, etc.

Hopefully MS will figure this out soon.  I understand it was in beta and was pulled so they must be close by now. Right????????????????????

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 5:27 PM
  • I hope someone at Micorsoft removes the lie from this page or fix InfoPath - it really is a showstopper

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/infopath-help/what-s-new-in-microsoft-infopath-2010-HA010358944.aspx

Add form controls     The new controls gallery in the ribbon provides a fast way to add new controls and modify the control properties. New controls for InfoPath 2010 include the following:

• Picture Button     Use a custom image as a button.
    • Date and Time Picker     With this control, user can type a date and time or select a date from a calendar display.
    • Hyperlink     Insert hyperlinks when filling out a form.
    • Person/Group Picker     Type or select a person from a SharePoint list.
    • Signature Line     Users can digitally sign the form.
    • External data picker     Type or select items from external systems through Business Connectivity Services (BCS).
    • Managed Metadata Picker     Select values from a managed metadata term set.

Pete

Sunday, February 20, 2011 1:46 AM
  • I'm agreeing as well with most of you!  We've put so much effort in building this Enterprise Taxonomy with the managed metadata service.  It's just a dissappointment that after so long, nothing has happened and/or moved.   Certainly while it was actually possible in a beta ...  It's so obvious that Microsoft is ignoring it's customers on this topic.

Best regards, David
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 2:38 PM
  • The complete lack of MMS integration with any Office product is simply nuts.  MMS is one of the most important pieces in the SP2010 release, as it revolutionizes the way content is organized in SP.  Sadly, MMS cannot be used with InfoPath or Access Services (Access Services are really cool, but the lack of MMS support in Access 2010 is also bewildering).  MS keeps saying "no" to just about every request I've been able to ask about (better FAST administration tools, fixes to IFS, tools to import AND export MMS content, tools for backing up and restoring the MMS [this is one I simply cannot believe they didn't put stubs in for somewhere!], etc, etc, etc). 

If they're so busy with other fixes, then maybe office 2010 SP2010 weren't ready for prime time? 

Thursday, February 24, 2011 8:31 PM
  • Could look into building an InfoPath ActiveX control, ActiveX I understand is horrible and not usable (by my definition of usable). But it sounds like the only option for adding a control that could add this functionality today though only for IE.
    SharePoint 2010 Extensions - http://sp2010ext.codeplex.com/ My Blog - http://www.withinsharepoint.com Twitter - http://twitter.com/#!/withnsharepoint
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 10:41 PM
  • bumpity-bump.

Thursday, March 17, 2011 10:49 PM
  • I am just another MS enterprise customer that is crippled by not being able to use MMS in InfoPath. This was a HUGE reason we wanted SP2010. Looks like we are now forced to abandon MMS!!

MS PLEASE ADD THIS CAPABILITIE!!

Brad

IT Director

Friday, March 25, 2011 1:38 PM
  • ...and here is another one - we have a bunch of usability problems with MMS.

I really don't understand why basic features like editing in datasheets or InfoPath are not supported!

Stefan

IT Director

Thursday, March 31, 2011 7:21 PM
  • I want to be sure:
    we want to use this managed metadata service for multi-language purposes.  If I followed the above conversation it's NOT possible to use managed metadata in Infopath forms?

Any workarounds for using multi-language with lookuptables? 

THanks

Monday, April 4, 2011 7:40 AM
  • Add me to the list of people wanting the InfoPath team to fix this huge problem ASAP.  For Managed Metadata to be at all useful, InfoPath Browser Forms must support Managed Metadata fields.  Think about this from SharePoint users' perspective!  I would like the advantages of Managed Metadata- language, the nice UI, hierarchies, cross-site capability, search benefits, etc.  

As a developer, I understand the 'golden triangle': the project team has resources, time, and features and can address any two.  This feature got dropped because of lack of time/resources.  But it's a huge mistake not to have this as priority 1 for SP1:  There are organizations building apps on SP2010 today who can't use MM because they want InfoPath browser forms.  These organizations will either have to re-write these apps once the MM/InfoPath issue gets fixed, or, more likely, will continue to not use MM.  You guys should have been working on this day 1 after RTM.

Wednesday, May 4, 2011 3:38 PM
  • This plainly "sucks"! Did you find out any further information Clayton on this? Is it ever intended to be released, and if so, when?
    Ben Weeks
    SharePoint Consultant @ Webtechy Ltd
    T: +441223922070 F: +448701315220
    Web: http://www.webtechy.co.uk Blog: http://blog.webtechy.co.uk
    Friday, May 13, 2011 9:51 AM
  • A year on... has there been any fix to this? Or did somebody come up with a clever workaround for it?

I was quite excited when I heard about the InfoPath intergration with SharePoint 2010, but so far all I come across are annoying limitations rather than the big feature I expected. Pretty disappointing, to be honest and I am more and more convinced that purchasing InfoPath if all you want to do is customize SharePoint forms is a waste of money.

Monday, June 27, 2011 1:59 AM
  • I'm agreeing as well with most of you!  We've put so much effort in building this Enterprise Taxonomy with the managed metadata service.  It's just a dissappointment that after so long, nothing has happened and/or moved.   Certainly while it was actually possible in a beta ...  It's so obvious that Microsoft is ignoring it's customers on this topic.

Best regards, David

They aren't ignoring customers at all.  This is a major thing on the InfoPath team's plate.  They were the ones who had it working back in Beta, but it didn't get finished in time, so it had to get pulled.  Ever since this thread began, I have been pushing the InfoPath team and making sure they knew this was a crippling blow to people who both want to leverage MMS _and_ the awesome new features of InfoPath in 2010.  They are well aware and have been working on it, but I can't give any definite information about when/where/if it will be included in future service packs/releases.
    Monday, June 27, 2011 2:03 AM
  • Pete, I believe that was fixed.  Thanks for pointing it out.
    Monday, June 27, 2011 2:04 AM
  • A year on... has there been any fix to this? Or did somebody come up with a clever workaround for it?

I was quite excited when I heard about the InfoPath intergration with SharePoint 2010, but so far all I come across are annoying limitations rather than the big feature I expected. Pretty disappointing, to be honest and I am more and more convinced that purchasing InfoPath if all you want to do is customize SharePoint forms is a waste of money.

MMS is an issue, but the rest of what you're saying doesn't make sense to me.  InfoPath was already a major feature in previous versions of SharePoint - I use it for tons of solutions.  Now, in 2010, it's LIGHT YEARS better, but you say you only come across annoying limitations?  I'm pretty sure you've asked lots of questions here, and I'm pretty sure you've gotten lots of answers, too.  There ARE some limitations - like there are with any technology - but to call it a waste of money for customizing forms is quite an exaggeration if not flat out wrong.  Sure, you can call it an opinion, but it has immense value, and that is just a fact.  You may not like it, or you may be frustrated, but what technology does it better?
    Monday, June 27, 2011 2:07 AM
  • Just checked the link and, yes, the reference to Managed Metadata Picker was in fact removed some time since your post and today.
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 10:18 PM
  • So - from a small company that does not have depth in Infopath, I will tell you why we too want it to work badly.  Having created and updated content types in iterations, we have updated the column order in the content type, but the built-in DIP does not follow that order - I think it orders based on when the column was added to the content type - though in the web-view of the document properties it DOES follow that order.  Unfortunately one of our more critical fields shows up last in office docs - hence the desire to customize the DIP.   I will add my 2 cents and ask the InfoPath team to get on the ball, darn it!

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 10:49 PM
  • So, what has the InfoPath team been working on the last 1 year and 3 months since this thread started.  Whatever it is, without question in my opinion, it PALES in comparison with getting InfoPath 2010 witing with SharePoint 2010 MMS.  You could list 100 new whiz bang features they want to add to InfoPath 201x and NONE of them would comprae to having MMS work.  Come on guys.
    Steve
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 8:35 PM
  •  another to the list that requires this feature - has caused no end of issues

If it was "nearly" ready at RTM why 12 months and SP1 later is it still missing ?

Pete

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 11:24 PM
  • Please add me as another customer who is extremely disappointed to learn that I cannot customize with SP 2010 Infopath list forms that leverages Managed Metadata.  Please add this feature in InfoPath ASAP.  Thanks.
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 10:52 PM
  • Infopath not being able to work with managed metadata crushes our information architecture that builds on managed metadata.

I am disappointed that this feature is not included in SP1 and I hope it will be available soon. As Peter ID said, I am also wondering what has been done in the last 12 months on this issue when it used to be almost ready for the RTM.

Best regards,

Silke

Thursday, July 28, 2011 10:49 AM
  • After thinking about what a showstopper this is and how on earth Microsoft didn't prioritise this higher, we thought about how to get around it.

With a small bit of work, it seems possible.

Basically, InfoPath can talk to web services to retrieve data. Calling directly into the taxonomy web service will allow you to pull back meta terms (we actually wrote a small custom web service wrapper as we wish to aggregate some terms and control how the information is presented back to InfoPath). InfoPath can store the selected result internally in a field without needing to know it is an MMS field. We store the term value and term set path. When the form is saved to a form library, it is quite easy to update some taxonomy fields on the form library using an event receiver(or possibly workflow?) to set the MMS column using the internally captured values (just set them up on the library and DO NOT attempt to promote into these field). We are only using 1 hierarchy deep term sets at the moment but don't see any reason why this wouldn't also work provided the full hierarchy is stored internally as the value in the InfoPath form field.

Once you do this, you can use meta filtering and navigation on the form library no problems and use the MMS fields as custom search properties (not fully tested yet).

It is possible to write the web service wrapper and form library event receiver in a generic way which can be used for any InfoPath template and form library by following some well defined naming concventions which imply field to MMS field mappings (or a more robust way would be to have the mapping in configuration somewhere).

We haven't completed this implementation fully, but what we have done so far seems to get around the MMS/InfoPath 2010 current constraints and we haven't found any major issues (other than it is not the most robust approach possible).

Has anybody else tried anything like this? Any gotchas/advice you could pass on?

We are also going to try this approach with Enterprise Keywords and see how that goes :)

Regards...D. MIller

Monday, August 1, 2011 5:49 AM
  • Wow cant believe I read though this whole thread post after post. I was expecting a pot of gold at the end of this rainbow but nothing definitive yet? Clayton, appreciate all your efforts pushing this with the InfoPath team. Any updates?
    SharePoint Solution Architect | MCTS
    Tuesday, September 6, 2011 8:32 PM
  • Dekka62:  the Taxonomy web service is barely documented and doesn't seem to be finished to me.  I wouldn't recommend trying to use it for generic solution yet, or you are in for a mighty big development and debugging job.

See here to get started (and see what I mean):

sharepoint-2010-managed-meta- webservice in c#

I think you are better off writing your own custom web service leveraging the taxonomy powers of the object model, which seems to be far further on as a development platform than the OOTB web service.

Thursday, September 8, 2011 8:57 PM
  • It is so disappointing to lack this integration. Has anyone tried this workaround?

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepoint2010setup/thread/632190d9-663b-4ea6-82e8-5c1e7f2f57c5/

ITGirl
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:43 PM
  • Hi,

As I mentioned above there is a better work around for this if you are happy to code a web service and event receiver. It does not require any code behind in InfoPath.

We created a custom web service that uses Taxonomy API to load term sets and return the values to InfoPath. We avaoided the MMS built in web service as it isn't ready for prime time yet (see above post in response to my previous one). Recommend you avoid that web service even though some MS MVPs are suggesting it on other related threads.

In InfoPath, we created a group and in that created a set of repeating fields that identify the MMS fields that need to be mapped to library columns.

We then wrote an event receiver for the form library to take the MMS configuration in the InfoPath form (InfoPath Field, MMS Term Set Name and Library Column name), and in this event receiver we set the MMS columns on the form library with the values stored in the InfoPath fields.

Just make sure that you do not promote these fields out of InfoPath as SharePpoint has no idea how to do that :)

You can then use meta data navigation and foltering on the form library.

One down side we should note, do not attempt this if you need to template the form library and use in multiple sites, SharePoint 2010 form library templates cannot contain MMS columns (go figure).

If I get around to blogging this approach with code I'll put the links up here.

Good luck!

Don't Panic
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 11:36 PM
  • Hello All, I have been working through our company Microsoft Rep and here is the response I obtained. I have sanitized the name of the contact:

"<MS resource> did mention that the product group has heard the request over and over again but they haven’t released any plans yet.  <MS resource> is researching 3rd party tools that might potentially help.  I have posted the question on the SharePoint DL internally and haven’t heard back – so I am guessing no updates yet. "

SharePoint Solution Architect | MCTS
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:26 PM
  • Wow, I am surprised and thrilled after reading thru the whole post here. Making InfoPath to understand the MMS field with complete functionality might be difficult to implement, So we will still wait for MS to implement it (Hopefully they will do).  At least in my case, in most scenarios’ I wanted to use MMS as source for one of my column in my custom list. Before reading this post I tried the approach D. MIller has mentioned in his first post. I simply wrote a custom WCF service which is a wrapper around Taxonomy web service which simply phrases the XML string and returns in a format which can be bound to infopath control.

This solves a basic problem of having a lookup field in a list for which the data is coming from MMS.

Yeah, the Taxonomy service is poorly documented and we can see ton’s of posts on how people have struggled to work around it. The reason I started reading thru this post was, why don’t I write my own custom service instead of working with Taxonomy service and it looks like some people is already in that path. So I am looking forward to it.

Jegatheesh Rengasamy
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 12:22 PM
  • It appears to be a safe bet that InfoPath-MMS integration is coming, so the question is when will SharePoint Next.0 be available?

In the meantime, anyone have a workaround that has worked for them?

• Tell customer "No."
    • Implement 2007 style
    • Custom code

Anything?

Thursday, November 10, 2011 4:49 PM
  • Clayton - is there any update on when this functionality might be available. I'm new to Sp2010 but not infopath and I can see that lack of mms integration is going to be a significant issue in managing effectively sp lists.
    Friday, December 16, 2011 12:25 AM
  • Let me guess: Microsoft will bring this functionality back in the next version of SharePoint forcing everyone to pay if you want to use it?
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 11:18 PM
  • Many interesting ideas here . have a nice time here . Thank you !
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 8:16 AM
  • Dear Microsoft,

Welcome to 2012 we are still waiting for you to reolve this issue.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 7:24 PM
  • You got what you wanted, sort of. The page listed was updated to remove any mention of Managed Metadata. There are alos other functions even within sharepoint that would be good for managed metadata, such as using it for a filter webpart to filter a list, document library and a discussion board to only items related to that metadata. Looks like we all have to drop using them and move back to related list items and loose all of the gains in search functionality that MMS brought to the table.
    Friday, April 13, 2012 9:42 PM
  • Looks to me that they’re going to try to use this feature as a way to strong-arm us into SharePoint 201x.

It doesn’t seem like us SharePoint 2010 customers are going to have a solution.

Friday, June 8, 2012 12:44 AM
  • Disaspointed is an under-statement. How can they on the one hand push Managed Metadata and on the other push InfoPath forms but yet not have the foresight to ensure that both of them work together???!!!!

The more I use SharePoint the more I encounter issues like this that often make end-to-end business solutions so difficult to deliver due to some oversight or another.
    A platform that promises so much but often, due to some bug or design oversight, means you are unable to deliver like it should.

The thing is even if this is fixed in the next product version what other new "cool" features will be introduced that will be similarly half-implemented?
    I'd rather they just concentrated on the fixing all the bugs and design-oversights but then I guess that wouldn't sell as well.

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 4:35 PM
  • Had to tell this sad news today at a customer; sorry, it's not possible to customize this form because InfoPath doesn't support the managed metadata columns .... 

I tried to use the Term Store web service(/_vti_bin/TaxonomyClientService.asmx)  via InfoPath to show the term-store values in InfoPath, which is a success.

The only problem now is that the "GetTermSets" web service returns one big piece of XML where the terms under a set still have to be filtered from.
    Anyone an idea how to get the actual term values from this XML return-set ?

Can't get it to work with the xdXDocument:GetDOM(“GetTermSets”) xpath..

Thanks very much in advance!
    Jeroen

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 5:56 AM
  • Anything in Office 2013 that will at last get this working with Sharepoint 2010?
    Tuesday, July 31, 2012 3:05 PM
  • Does Infopath 2013 supports MMS fields?

Thursday, August 30, 2012 10:15 PM
  • We're in the process of rolling out SharePoint 2010 in our organization.

We ran a few test simulations and encountered the problem with managed metadata and infopath list forms.

I can't believe that it's 2 years since SharePoint 2010 was released and there still isn't a solution to this problem from Microsoft...

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 10:27 AM
  • We're in the process of rolling out SharePoint 2010 in our organization.

We ran a few test simulations and encountered the problem with managed metadata and infopath list forms.

I can't believe that it's 2 years since SharePoint 2010 was released and there still isn't a solution to this problem from Microsoft...

FYI,

I did a trial of qRules, which is a 3rd party product, and it seemed to meet my needs.  While you'll lose any managed metadata benefits from search, you can at least pull your terms down into the form.

InfoPath 2013 does support managed metadata.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 4:05 PM
  • Again months have gone by and another year has come. Is this limitation still true for current SP2010 SP/CU? Regards Sven
    • Edited by Sven W Tuesday, January 8, 2013 11:01 PM
    Tuesday, January 8, 2013 11:01 PM
  • Again months have gone by and another year has come. Is this limitation still true for current SP2010 SP/CU? Regards Sven
    Yes it is. Believe it's still a limitation in 2013 as well.

My CodePlex - My Blog - My Twitter

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 11:35 PM
  • There is evidence that Microsoft is planning on ditching InfoPath, given they didn't add any enhancements.

Thursday, February 14, 2013 7:19 PM
  • SORRY ALL, I RED THE FIRST FIVE COMMENTS ON THIS POST AND I JUST UNDERSTOOD THAT THIS POSTO IT'S A BIG DISCUSSION ON A OBVIUSLY PROBLEM. 

Now, after 2 years, there a is a resolution?

There is a way to add a managed Metadata column in an Infopath forms?

Please ask me only with the solution to this problem, not with protests.

Thanks

Thursday, March 17, 2016 10:27 AM
  • SORRY ALL, I RED THE FIRST FIVE COMMENTS ON THIS POST AND I JUST UNDERSTOOD THAT THIS POSTO IT'S A BIG DISCUSSION ON A OBVIUSLY PROBLEM. 

Now, after 2 years, there a is a resolution?

There is a way to add a managed Metadata column in an Infopath forms?

Please ask me only with the solution to this problem, not with protests.

Thanks

It's been ~SIX years since this was first asked, and AFAIK -- no update.  It did work in a SP 2010 Beta for a short bit, and was retracted for whatever reason.
    Thursday, March 17, 2016 10:49 AM
  • 7 years now. With InfoPath having been given Zombie status, not dead, not alive, just kind of existing, I don't believe there will ever be a solution to this.  The entire handling of InfoPath has been disappointing to say the least.
    Friday, April 21, 2017 1:11 PM