none
How to wrap text within text boxes within shapes RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

In particular, I am having a lot of trouble finding out how to do this on text boxes within Incoming and Outgoing shapes.

Any ideas?

Many thanks.

Keith

R K Howard

Tuesday, November 21, 2017 6:34 PM

Answers

• Hi Winnie,

I followed your exact steps, and it did not work for me. There was no change in the off-page reference for me.

Also, I have hundreds of off-page references, and only a very few have this problem. I tried to copy formats from the good ones to the bad ones and that does not work either.

In the end, I copied a 'good' pre-existing off-page reference, and created and reattached a new one. I did this in the roughly 5% of cases where word wrap was not working properly. This fixed the problem.

Thanks for your help.

Keith

R K Howard

Monday, December 4, 2017 6:30 PM

All replies

• Hi Keith,

Please set the Alignment to make the Text Block to Middle to achieve your goal. Go to Home tab, in the Paragraph group, set the alignment in Paragraph tab and Text Blocks tab:

If you have any further concern, feel free to let me know.

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 22, 2017 8:28 AM
  • Hi Winnie,

I tried that but that just aligns the text to the middle of the text box. I want the text to wrap within the shape so that the left and right ends of the single long line of text do not go beyond the shape left and right edges. I would like the text to be, say, 2 or 3 lines, wrapped, so that it would fit nicely within the shape.

Many thanks.

Keith

R K Howard

Wednesday, November 22, 2017 4:07 PM
  • Hi Keith,

Based on my knowledge, there is no direct "Wrap Text" setting in Visio application, It is a build-in setting in Excel app.

For you requirement, we can use Margins and Alignment as a workaround:
    Set the Alignment to Middle. Under Margins, set the Left and Right margins to wrap text. 

Regards,

Winnie Liang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 23, 2017 10:11 AM
  • Hello Winnie,

In the attached file, can you understand why one shape word wraps and the other does not? (Am I able to send you the Visio file; I could only see how to attach an image.)

I think that this the crux of my issue.

Many thanks.

Keith

R K Howard

Friday, November 24, 2017 4:52 PM
  • Hello Winnie,

In the attached file, can you understand why one shape word wraps and the other does not? (Am I able to send you the Visio file; I could only see how to attach an image.)

I think that this the crux of my issue.

Many thanks.

Keith

R K Howard

Hi Keith,

You can send the file to us via GBSD TN Office Information Collection ibsofc@microsoft.com. (Notice to remove any privacy information) We would open the file on our side to check if we can help.

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 9:00 AM
  • Hi Keith,

I have received your email and I edit the text with the following steps in your drawing:

1. Right-click the Off-page reference shape, select Edit Text. 
    2. Go to Home tab, in the Paragraph group, set the Indentation in Paragraph tab, see picture below:
    3. Go to Text Block tab, set the Margins like below:
    4. Click Apply to apply it. Then we can get the following results:

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Thursday, November 30, 2017 10:25 AM
  • Hi Winnie,

I followed your exact steps, and it did not work for me. There was no change in the off-page reference for me.

Also, I have hundreds of off-page references, and only a very few have this problem. I tried to copy formats from the good ones to the bad ones and that does not work either.

In the end, I copied a 'good' pre-existing off-page reference, and created and reattached a new one. I did this in the roughly 5% of cases where word wrap was not working properly. This fixed the problem.

Thanks for your help.

Keith

R K Howard

Monday, December 4, 2017 6:30 PM
  • Hi Keith,

Thank you for coming back of the update. Glad that the issue has been fixed now.

If there is further question, would you mind to mark the useful solution as answer to close the thread? Your action would help other users who encounter the similar issue ans read this thread. Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Tuesday, December 5, 2017 1:43 AM