none
Required Field Validations in Calendar List RRS feed

• Question

• I have created a calendar List in my web app. The list has the default columns coming from the Event content Type & additionally I have created the following types of columns:

1) A few choice (dropdowns) type columns
    2) People or Group columns
    3) Multiple Lines of Text (Rich Textbox)
    4) Single Line of Text

Most of the columns are required fields. When I click on the "OK" button it first shows the Required Field error message for End Time. After I specify a value for End Time, the page posts back & all the other required field errors are shown with focus on the dropdown type column in a bottom up fashion until all the dropdowns have a valid value. After that the focus is displayed on the People Picker columns in a top-down fashion until all of them have a valid value. On submitting the form again the rest of the error messages are dispalyed & there is no focus on the controls anymore.

Ideally the errors should be displayed with focus on the first errorneous field so that the user experience is uniform and all the validations should happen at go.

Is there a way around this?

Thanks in advance
    Punnu

PB
    Monday, August 25, 2008 12:20 PM

Answers

• definitely it can be done, but it will require you to create your own newform.aspx and editform.aspx and fully customize these pages.

if only setting cursor is required, you can write some javascripting and paste in newform and editform.aspx pages but it is complex to handle. writing your own editform and newform may be a good option for you but it is also a little bit time consuming development. but in any case you may decide to put defauilt values for your site column so you can avoid lot of required validation checks and stay with out of box editform and newform.aspx pages.
    Monday, August 25, 2008 1:45 PM

All replies

• definitely it can be done, but it will require you to create your own newform.aspx and editform.aspx and fully customize these pages.

if only setting cursor is required, you can write some javascripting and paste in newform and editform.aspx pages but it is complex to handle. writing your own editform and newform may be a good option for you but it is also a little bit time consuming development. but in any case you may decide to put defauilt values for your site column so you can avoid lot of required validation checks and stay with out of box editform and newform.aspx pages.
    Monday, August 25, 2008 1:45 PM
  • Thanks for the prompt reply!!

I am in a complete mess & am not sure how to go abt this.... Can you give me some sample code / links?

Thanks
    Punnu
    PB
    Tuesday, August 26, 2008 4:49 AM
  • check this blog to start with, spend some time to go through steps mentioned in this article

http://sharepoint07.wordpress.com/2008/02/05/customize-the-newformaspx/
    Tuesday, August 26, 2008 2:05 PM