none
Public Folder Migration issues RRS feed

• Question

• Good morning, I am in the process of trying to migrate my exchange 2007 databases to Exchange 2013. I have been following a couple guides to do so. My environment has two exchange 2007 servers with public folders on them. When I try to run the new-publicfoldermigration request, I get : Couldn't switch the mailbox into sync source mode. I have tried restarting the replication service ,and dismounting and mounting the public folder database. Can anyone suggest what actions I should try next? I have deleted and readded the public folder mailbox on exchange 2013 a couple of times. thank you.

dmg

Thursday, April 5, 2018 4:30 PM

All replies

• Have you reviewed this 4 part article? https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/meamcs/2013/07/25/part-1-step-by-step-exchange-2007-to-2013-migration/

Search, Recover, Export Mailboxes, Folders, Email, Contacts, Calendars, Tasks, etc. from Offline Exchange Databases (EDBs), On-Premise Exchange Servers and Office 365. Migrate/Recover direct from any offline EDB into any On-Premises Exchange Server, even cross version i.e. 2003 → 2007 → 2010 →2013 → 2016 → Office 365 with Lucid8's DigiScope

• Proposed as answer by dmg2134 Friday, April 6, 2018 1:36 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by dmg6151 Friday, April 6, 2018 4:20 AM
    Thursday, April 5, 2018 10:00 PM
  • Yes that is one of the guides I used to Set it up.

dmg

Friday, April 6, 2018 4:20 AM
  • Hi Dmg,

Did you try to restart the information store service ? 

Here is an similar case for your reference:

Manually Move Public Folders from Exchange 2010 to 2013

Solution: finally it was a heavy network issue that it freeze the information store, that always ends in stalledduemailboxlock, so every time it happens I had to restart the information store service and the migration started to work fine again 

Hope it helps,

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, April 6, 2018 8:09 AM
  • I have tried that. The information store was restarted on all servers just to be sure. This happens almost instanaously. I have moved user mailboxes over just fine that were GBs big. The public folders are relatively small with just a few  calendars. When I try to perform the migration on what server I get the sync source error, when I run it on the other I get the mailbox stall after about ten percent and within a couple of minutes. I followed the said document above to the T. I am stuck at trying to migrate the public folders over.

dmg

Monday, April 9, 2018 8:06 PM
  • Hi Dmg,

Try to remove all public folder migration requests and check again:

Get-PublicFolderMigrationRequest | Remove-PublicFolderMigrationRequest

If still persists, follow the below steps and clear all move requests, then move again to check if any helps:

Open regedit on the Exchange 2007 server:

Navigate to HKEY_Local_Machine > System > CurrentControlSet > Services > Tcpip > Parameters >Create a new D-Word (32 bit) value called 'KeepAliveTime' Set it to 3600000 as Decimal >Exit registry.

Then, performed similar changes on the Exchange 2013 server 

Restarted all Exchange services on both of servers.

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, April 10, 2018 8:36 AM
  • Hi Dmg,

Is there any update on this thread? If the issue has been resolved, please mark the helpful replies as answers, this will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well. Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

Monday, April 16, 2018 9:41 AM
  • Same issue - what was your final solution. I've tried all of the above as well and still instantly get the sync source mode error.
    Wednesday, June 12, 2019 4:53 PM
  • Tried this same error, any other thoughts?
    Wednesday, June 12, 2019 4:54 PM
  • There was a different method that Microsoft suggested how to do. The way i was using was not the suggested method after a certain update. I will try to find it but it has been about a year since i solved it. 

dmg

Friday, July 19, 2019 8:57 PM