none
Outlook Folders Disappeared After Moving to another email RRS feed

• Question

• Our office users multiple email addresses in outlook via Microsoft Exchange. We have folders that contain a lot of emails in one email address inbox (Inbox A). I moved three of these folders to another one of our inboxes (inbox B). After taking a long time to move due to the size, the folders appeared in Inbox B on my computer, and I could access all the emails in them either by clicking on the folder or searching in the search pane, so they appeared to move without issue.

My colleague who has access to the same email addresses said that the folders were not visible in either Inbox A or Inbox B, nor could the emails in those folders be searched for using the search pane (same on another computer). 

I closed my outlook (silly move) and reopened, and the folders and contained emails were now also missing on my computer. I have searched the folder directory to see if they were in another place, however have had no luck. 

Any ideas?

Not sure if this is relevant, but outlook is setup differently on my computer compared to the other two office ones. I can select what email address I can send from, however the other computers can only send from one (despite having access to all of the inboxes) so not sure if it is a delegated email or what. Seems to be the way exchange is setup, however I can't seem to work it out.

Thanks in advance, I desperately need these emails back so any opinions would be wonderful!

EDIT: I have found a response that explains my problem:

Consider the following scenario:

• You configure Outlook 2010 to have an additional IMAP type email account.
    • You move a folder from Inbox of the Exchange account to the Inbox of the IMAP account.
    • The folder is now located under the Inbox of the IMAP account.
    • You restart Outlook 2010.

In this scenario, the folder is missing from the IMAP account’s Inbox and from the Exchange account’s Inbox.

The only problem is that the solution is to download a hotfix that is no longer available. 

• Edited by Natalie1994 Saturday, March 30, 2019 12:11 PM
    Saturday, March 30, 2019 1:08 AM

All replies

• Thank-you for your reply! Unfortunately I don't have those options (can't enter root file path) nor can I find the IMAP folders section when right clicking. I will check on the work computer on Monday, however I beleive it is setup the same as my home one.

Also, both of these emails addresses have been used for months, the error did not occur when adding a new one. Not sure if that changes things?

Saturday, March 30, 2019 11:51 AM
  • Hi Natalie,

Do you mean that moved folders become invisible when moving from Exchange account to IMAP account? Can you see these folders on the web mail?

How do you move these folders? Exporting and importing via .pst files? Right click and choose “Move folder” or “Copy Folder”?

>>Not sure if this is relevant, but outlook is setup differently on my computer compared to the other two office ones.

How do you add accounts to Outlook? You can check the account type via File > Info > Account Settings > Account Settings.

Besides, are you using Outlook 2010? You can try installing the newest updates to test the results. Please check this article.

What’s more, for IMAP account, please click Folder > IMAP Folders > Query. Make sure all folders are subscribed. You can check more details in this official article.

Any updates, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, April 1, 2019 5:57 AM
  • Hi Natalie,

Any updates with this issue?

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, April 3, 2019 3:21 AM
  • Did you manage to find the missing mails? The same thing happened to me today..
    Monday, October 21, 2019 9:31 PM