Windows Server 2008 Backup and Exchange 2007 Clarification RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've inherited an Exchange 2007 server that is using Windows Server Backup. I was preparing a proposal to put a third-party backup solution in when I discovered that the VSS writer seems to properly stop and backup Exchange 2007. A summary of the events I see are:

9606 - Exchange Vss Writer sucessfully prepared for backup

9811 - Exchange Vss Writer sucessfully prepared database engine for backup of storage group

9608 - Exchange Vss Writer has prepared for snapshot successfully

9610 - Exchange Vss Writer has frozen storage group sucessfully

9612 - Exchange Vss Writer has thawed the storage group sucessfully

9622 - Exchange Vss Writer has processed the post-snapshot event successfully

Error 9782 - Exchange Vss Writer has unsuccessfully completed the backup of the storage group. No log files have been truncated.

9616 - Exchange Vss Writer has processed the backup completion event sucessfully.

To me this looks like the backup is Exchange aware at least in terms of properly freezing the DB so that consistent files are backed up. Is this correct?

The 9782 error may be caused by the fact that circular logging is enabled right now.

Thanks for any clarification. I didn't this the backup included in Windows Server 2008 even did this much properly in Exchange 2007.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 3:28 AM

All replies

• http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2787183&SiteID=17

You can change the circular logging configuration and it still will not work.

There is no code included that checks the "consitency" of the database.

You have to wait for a "plugin" provided by Microsoft or use a VSS aware backup product.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 10:35 AM
  • I understand that this is not considered Exchange aware backup. However, there's obviously something going on to create the shadow copy that interacts with Exchange.

I'm hoping someone can give me an explanation of what this is doing versus an exchange aware backup. Given that it freezes the DB, it gives me the impression that you should be able to restore these files and at worst use eseutil to bring it back to a consistent state.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 2:34 PM
  • Shadow Copy is a technology and a service (VSS), not a backup software application.

A backup software application that has code to properly leverage shadow copy to backup exchange data, would in fact be "exchange aware" by definition.  The de-emphasization of streaming backups and focus on VSS doesn't imply there is software included within Server 2008 to use it to perform backup jobs on Exchange.

Read here for more info. The topic is Exchange 2003, but it still gives an explanation of how it works.

Here is more technical detail if you'd like

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 5:34 PM
  • Can anyone at Microsoft say when the VSS plugin, announced earlier this year, for Windows Server Backup, and hence Exchange 2007 on Windows Server 2008, will be released?

Thanks

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 3:20 PM
  • Per the thread I started here, it seems one will be included within SBS 2008, which has already been released.  Is there another press release you're refering to?

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 12:27 AM
  • Mike,
    Thanks for the reply - maybe I'm being a bit slow to understand so if you or anyone else can clarify things further please I'd be very grateful.

My reading of the Scott Schnoll announcement of June this year (see http://blogs.technet.com/scottschnoll/archive/2008/06/15/back-from-teched-it-pro-north-america-2008.aspx), and the subsequent announcement at http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2008/06/18/449031.aspx was that a VSS plugin would be released this summer that would allow Exchange 2007 backups on Windows Server 2008, and that this plugin happened to have been developed by the SBS team - I did not get the impression that one has got to buy SBS to get the plugin, but that it would available as a standalone release, so those of us using separately purchased Exchange 2007 and Windows Server 2008, who were caught out by the reduced functionality compared to Windows Server 2003 (using ntbackup), would be able to do simple backups without buying a fully featured backup application such as DPM or a third party product.

The thread of comments at http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2008/06/18/449031.aspx being closed down in the way it was (a clear question left unanswered) added to the confusion and frustration!

So if there is any clarification please, that would be very helpful.  i.e. is there something in the pipeline that will help our situation?  Re-installing everything using SBS isn't an option, so we'd have to go and buy a third-party backup product that will be far in excess of our needs.

Thanks again

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 8:58 AM
  • Yeah, I wasn't suggesting one should buy SBS to get this feature, but I actually wasn’t aware they were making anything available to regular installations of Server 2008. 

I would now agree. Based on the links you've supplied a separate item will be released.  This was only announced 3 months ago though, so I wouldn't expect it out yet.  Msexchangeteam said they would announce when it comes out.  Perhaps leave a random comment on a new blog entry and reference this?  they commit to read every comment.

You can also see comments here

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3739727&SiteID=17

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 1:29 PM
  • On Windows Sever 2008 the Vista's Build, as like Mike said, Shadow Copy; is basically the system restore/backup feature for the Sever 2008 ..

To Enable the feature, is very simple.. all you have to do is go to the Hard drive properties which you would like to

enable the Shadow Copying backup feature on Windows Server 2008

-First

Go to your, Windows Explorer

-Second

on your disk drive you wish to enable shadow copy on, Right Click on the Local Disk [C:][D:] ect.. and select "Properties"

-Third

A small window will pop-up displaying your hard disk schematics. There will be several tabs at the top of that Window, select "Shadow Copies"

-Fourth

You then have to enable it, select what time, and what size, you would like to make Shadow Copies of the contents of your Hard disk(s)..

If there is a error on the Shadow Copies tab when you select it; You then will have to go to your Administrative Tools, Open up your Services... Then enable the Following: Virtual Disk, and Shadow Copies in your Services controls..

Thursday, October 2, 2008 5:06 AM
  • I too was attempting to rely on windows backup for my exchange sever. I looked all over the place for a while now and this is the first time I found anything on this. All the threads I found were just dead ends. Thanks for posting this. I will move to a 3rd party backup for now.
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 2:48 PM
  • You didn't find this post:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/exchangesvravailabilityandisasterrecovery/thread/784a4369-04bb-4399-962e-8f9ada2f507d/ (36,000 hits)

or this one

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/exchangesvravailabilityandisasterrecovery/thread/3bc0116e-a5ee-4461-b6b1-53f66da1345d/ (10,000 hits)

It's supported now.  But with limited capabilities.

Mike Crowley: MCT, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP: Enterprise Administrator / Messaging Administrator
    Check out the new virtualization exams!

Thursday, May 13, 2010 10:54 PM
  • Well, Being that I was searching for the actual VSS error, No. Those threads didn't come up. However it would have been nice to know about this a while ago. Once again, I appreciate the info.

-Brian

Friday, May 14, 2010 4:00 AM