none
Outlook 2013 to Exchange 2010 - Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window

Question

• Good Morning,

Brief summary:

We have an MS Exchange 2003. I recently "coexist" and installed MS Exchange 2010 with CAS and Hub Transport Role, but Outlook 2013 still cannot connect. What am I missing? Launching Outlook 2013 I get this error:

"The resource that you are trying to use is located on unsupported version of Microsoft Exchange. Contact your e-mail administrator for assistance."

On the second dialog box I get: " Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window."

Outlook 2003, 2007, and 2010 can connect to the server and mails are flowing fine. Please advise.

• Moved by ManU PhiliPMVP Saturday, March 09, 2013 5:00 PM moving to most relevant area
    Saturday, March 09, 2013 4:55 PM

Answers

• Yes. If there is Exchange 2003 exist, Outlook 2013 would totally find the  back-end of Exchange 2003 but ignore all of Exchange 2010 role. That makes it unavailable.

Thanks.

Cheers,
    Tony Chen
    Forum Support

Thursday, March 14, 2013 2:47 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Outlook 2013 isn’t supported on Exchange 2003 and connectivity is blocked. Please connect Outlook 2013 to Exchange 2007, 2010, or 2013

Regards from ExchangeOnline Windows Administrator's Area

Saturday, March 09, 2013 4:59 PM
  • Hello there,

Well known issue while connecting Outlook 2013 with Exchange 2003

Check here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/help/office-2013-known-issues-HA102919019.aspx & you will find that connectivity is blocked as Outlook 2013 isn’t supported on Exchange 2003.

Outlook 2013 can be connected with Exchange 2007, 2010, or 2013.

Saturday, March 09, 2013 5:36 PM
  • Ok I know that Outlook 2013 will not work on Exchange 2003, that why installed a coexistence (Exchange 2010 with CAS and HUB Transport Role installed). Isn't that Outlook connects to the Exchange 2010 server first then pass on the connection to Exchange 2003?

Are you saying that Outlook 2013 will NOT work at all unless I'm in pure Exchange 2010?

Saturday, March 09, 2013 7:49 PM
  • Yes. If there is Exchange 2003 exist, Outlook 2013 would totally find the  back-end of Exchange 2003 but ignore all of Exchange 2010 role. That makes it unavailable.

Thanks.

Cheers,
    Tony Chen
    Forum Support

Thursday, March 14, 2013 2:47 AM
  • I am having the same issue.  I was using Outlook 2013 preview, but my office has now obtained the full version.  I deleted the 32-bit preview version to switch to the 64-bit version.  It now says that it cannot find the file:  home(2).ost.  

I tried going through the Control Panel|Mail settings to see if I change the settings to point it to the correct file. When I try to change the settings, I receive error code 0x80040605.  So, my only choice is to delete the account.

This account is connected to a Gmail account.

I have found Home.ost and Home(2).ost.old in the folder and tried renaming them so that it can find the Home(2).ost file--hoping that it would allow Outlook to open so that I could hopefully make certain that all my data is there.  Whenever I try, as Outlook 2013 opens, it renames the file to include the .old extension and then will not start.  

I also have two other IMAP accounts that I have co-existing with the Exchange account that I do not want to lose.  

How do I get it to work?  

Friday, March 15, 2013 3:32 AM
  • Absolutely brilliant, Microsoft.

Bring out a new version of consumer software and then tell consumers that they need to upgrade "their" Exchange server to 2007+.  Right....so what if I am using a hosted Exchange service and the service provider tells me to get nicked.

This world is getting more and more Apple every day.....

Monday, March 18, 2013 4:01 AM
  • Tony,

I appreciate your explanation with Root cause of the problem. However, what are the actions to be taken to overcome this issue.

My organization also upgraded Exchange Server 2003 to 2010 recently. Now, I want to use Outlook 2013 but it gives same error as mentioned by interstate_crawler.

While starting up outlook 2013 it shows following two messages:

"The resource that you are trying to use is located on an unsupported version of Microsoft Exchange. Contact your e-mail administrator for assistance."

"Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened. Your Microsoft Exchange administrator has blocked the version of Outlook that you are using. Contact your administrator for assistance."

Please help with the solution of the problem.

Thanking you in advance for your help.

Wednesday, October 09, 2013 5:23 AM