"Create or extend Web application" choice missing from SharePoint Web Application Management in MOSS 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• I have MOSS 2007 installed on Windows Server 2008. In Central Administration under Application Management, the choice for "Create or extend Web application" is missing from the SharePoint Web Application Management list of actions.

How do I get "Create or extend Web application" back on the list of SharePoint Web Application Management ?

Why or How did this item get deleted?

This item was on the list previously and I used it to create one Web Application. Now it is missing.

THANKS.
    Sunday, April 5, 2009 2:58 PM

Answers

• Hi

The cause of this problem may be that you don’t have administrator permission when you browse the “Central Administration” in IE or your “Central Administration” page is not in the intranet zone. Please first check that if the “Central Administration” is run with administrator privileges. Try to navigate the “central administration” from the “start” menu to see if it works. Then check that if your “Central Administration” is in the intranet zone. If not, please add it to the intranet zone manually.

Hope this helps.

Lu Zou

• Marked as answer by DonBaechtel Wednesday, April 8, 2009 2:07 PM
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 1:44 AM

All replies

• Hi

The cause of this problem may be that you don’t have administrator permission when you browse the “Central Administration” in IE or your “Central Administration” page is not in the intranet zone. Please first check that if the “Central Administration” is run with administrator privileges. Try to navigate the “central administration” from the “start” menu to see if it works. Then check that if your “Central Administration” is in the intranet zone. If not, please add it to the intranet zone manually.

Hope this helps.

Lu Zou

• Marked as answer by DonBaechtel Wednesday, April 8, 2009 2:07 PM
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 1:44 AM
  •  

Then check that if your “Central Administration” is in the intranet zone. If not, please add it to the intranet zone manually.

Hope this helps.

Lu Zou

THANKS for the Respose.

How do I add "Central Administration" to the intranet zone manually ?
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 1:23 PM
  • BINGO !!!

Funny thing.

Microsoft recommends that MOSS 2007 be installed and configured for Full Administartor access to a special Sharepoint Administrator account rather than the System Administrator's account so that the security acces to MOSS 2007 can be seperately controlled.  So on my Windows Server 2008 system, MOSS 2007 was installed with a spadmin account that was a member of the system Administrators group. MOSS 2007 was configured to give spadmin Full Control in MOSS 2007. But when Sharepoint Central Administration was run as Administrator under the spadmin account, after Sharepoint installation and Configuration Wizard was run, the Create or Extend Web Application action was missing from the list under Web Application Management. But the Create or Extend Web Application action did show up if Sharepoint Central Administration was run from the system Administrator account.  We could not figure out why, if both Administrator and spadmin were in the Administrators group, and spadmin was configured for Sharepoint Full Control, and Sharepoint Central Administration was run as Administrator under spadmin account, that the Create Web Application action (and maybe other featuress) was missing.

Once, as you suggested, I logged into the System as spadmin and went into IE8 and moved the URL for the Sharepoint Central Administration from Trusted Sites to Intranet Sites in IE8, only then could spadmin start up Sharepoint Central Administration and see Create or Extend Web Application action in the Web Application Management list.

This change probably has to be made for all Sharepoint Administrators in all browsers and browser versions in order for Sharepoint Central Administration to function properly as configured. This can be a tedious thing to do and may cost many hours of head scratching and head banging if not performed completely.

This change, concerning the URL for the Sharepoint Central Administration in IE8, does not need to be performed if Sharepoint Central Administration is run from the system Administrator account. I do not understand why it behaves differently for the two accounts if both are members of the system's Administrators group.

This issue appears to be another defficientcy in the MOSS 2007 install or configuration wizard process. If SP Central Administration URL needs to be added to the Browser Intranet zone of the Sharepoint Administrator account(s) in able to function properly, then the Sharepoint setup process should have either done that or at least warned us that this action needed to be performed for it to function properly. !!!

This was a MOSS 2007 Standalone configuration without a Domain or Active Directory installed.

THANKS SO MUCH for the assist.
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 2:43 PM