none
100% CPU from MSOSYNC on 2008 R2 TS

Question

• Hi,

I have Office 2010 Pro Plus installed on a 2008 R2 terminal server. What I am getting is 100% combined CPU usage from MSOSYNC from different sessions causing the server to slow down alot.

Has anyone have any experience with regards to this? Not sure how to proceed with this.

Thanks.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 10:51 PM

All replies

• Hi,

For a user of Microsoft Office 2010 that does not use synchronization of documents on computer / laptop on the web server, so icon in the systray (bottom right corner) and MSOSYNC.EXE process are in plus. So you can disable the icon ” Office Upload Center” in systray.

1. Right Click on the icon and click Settings.

2. In the window Microsoft Office Upload Center Settings untick the box next to the “Display icon in notification area” and click Ok.

Once we removed the icon, we will have to get rid of MSOSYNC.EXE.

Start Menu> “End Search Programs Files”> type “msconfig” and press Enter.

2. In the System Configuration go to the Startup tab and untick the box next to Microsoft Office 2010.

In column “Startup Item “is possible to have several processes named” Microsoft Office 2010. To not stop any another process, go with the mouse over the column “Command”, in the line to see exactly what process is MSOSYNC.EXE.

Apply & OK to save changes. Restart

If we ever need to open Microsoft Office 2010 Upload Center, click Start Menu> All Programs> Microsoft Office> Microsoft Office 2010 Tools.

Hope that helps.

Thursday, November 25, 2010 2:20 AM
  • Hi,

I shall give that a go but will that affect users if they want to save their documents to a Sharepoint 2007 server?

Cheers,

Thursday, November 25, 2010 2:22 AM
  • Hi,

Msosync.exe process stands for Microsoft Office Document Cache and is used to cache the documents.

In short, it is safe to end the process. It takes 2-3MB of system memory and does not effect the overall speed of the OS. It will start again when Office 2010 begins to cache a document.

So I guess you can try it.

Thursday, November 25, 2010 3:06 AM
  • Hi Jennifer,

I am aware of what it is and what it does but my problem is that in some instances when it is running it is chewing up quite a bit of CPU and since the machine in question is a terminal server there are mutiple instances of MSOSYNC.EXE with pretty high CPU usages which amounts to 100% total CPU usage causing the server to slow down.

Would you know why it would be hogging the CPU even when there are no active uploads or saves to the sharepoint server.

Even if I stop it showing up in the notifcation area and remove it from the startup list it will still run whenever a user saves a document to the Sharepoint server.

So I guess at the end, why would MSOSYNC be using so much CPU when none of this behavior is present on user workstations.

Thursday, November 25, 2010 3:17 AM
  • Hello,

I too have a Windows 2008 R2 server running as a Terminal/Remote Desktop for a small accounting firm.

Although, the MSOSYNC.EXE is described as using a couple of mb, it is causing devastating impact on CPU utilization.

Using the MSCONFIG option proposed does not work. We have applied that...unless it is required that each and every user of the TS do the same.

Seems rather inadequate for this type of environment....and it does concern me that this issue exists at all.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 2:27 PM
  • I have this same problem.  We have re-imaged servers and it is still happening.  Anyone have any other suggestions?

Chad

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 9:41 PM