none
Outlook PRF does not apply the way it should.

Question

• I'm having an issue with PRF's and Outlook 2010. 

The problem I'm having is with current installations of Microsoft Outlook.  I'd like for this PRF to apply to current profiles but not modify the default profile for that user.  Every time I apply this PRF it adds Default Outlook Profile and defaults it to that profile instead of the current users profile.  This requires user intervention to set the profile back to the users profile.

The PRF works great for new users since they currently do not have a profile so they don't have to worry about the default profile being modified etc.

Is there any way to get a PRF to work the way it was intended?  Or are PRF's not designed for existing profiles?

I created a PRF file with the Office Customization Wizard and the config portion is below.  There are 2 versions below but I've tried every one possible.

;Automatically generated PRF file from the Microsoft Office Customization and Installation Wizard

; **************************************************************
    ; Section 1 - Profile Defaults

[General]
    Custom=1
    DefaultProfile=Yes
    OverwriteProfile=Append
    ModifyDefaultProfileIfPresent=false
    BackupProfile=No

;Automatically generated PRF file from the Microsoft Office Customization and Installation Wizard

; Section 1 - Profile Defaults

[General]
    Custom=1
    DefaultProfile=No
    OverwriteProfile=Append
    ModifyDefaultProfileIfPresent=false

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 6:02 PM

Answers

• I've resolved this problem.  Instead of using the "Apply PRF...." option in the OCT which DOES NOT work, I used the "Modify Profile..." option on the same page in the OCT.

This is obviously a bug that needs to be fixed just fyi.

Thanks.

• Marked as answer by jimbo0607 Monday, July 05, 2010 1:15 PM
    Monday, July 05, 2010 1:15 PM

All replies

• You want to modify the default profile right?

Try ModifyDefaultProfileIfPresent=True

Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
    Outlook Daily Tips | Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center
    Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook weekly newsletter
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 2:15 AM
  • I've tried that as well and it had no affect.  I received the same results as I always get which are: a new default profile is created making the end users profile a secondary profile requiring user intervention by the user to set their profile back to default).

I believe PRF files are a loss cause in Office 2010.

Any other suggestions?

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 8:55 PM
  • I've resolved this problem.  Instead of using the "Apply PRF...." option in the OCT which DOES NOT work, I used the "Modify Profile..." option on the same page in the OCT.

This is obviously a bug that needs to be fixed just fyi.

Thanks.

• Marked as answer by jimbo0607 Monday, July 05, 2010 1:15 PM
    Monday, July 05, 2010 1:15 PM