Install of Office 2016 ProPlus hangs at 90% RRS feed

• Question

• Trying to do an install of Office 2016 ProPlus under Windows 10 Enterprise but the install hangs at 90%. I have run sfc /scannow after stopping the first attempt and uninstalling 2016. AV is stopped as is the print spooler service.

Any suggestions?

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 4:13 PM

Answers

• The procedure I followed to fix this was (including a few steps done before posting the question):

In a admin cmd prompt

1.  run sfc/scannow if there are errors found, update any drivers referenced, reboot and then run

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\RepairSource\Windows /LimitAccess
    Note Replace the C:\RepairSource\Windows placeholder with the location of your repair source. For more information about using the DISM tool to repair Windows, reference Repair a Windows Image.

(as in https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/947821)

You need to do this three times

2. reboot then rerun sfc /scannow which should now not find any errors.

3. Kill off any instances of the office click to run in task manager

4. run a full repair of office from control panel, programs

• Marked as answer by COTAL1 Monday, September 28, 2015 12:40 PM
    Monday, September 28, 2015 12:40 PM

All replies

• Exactly the same for me - no solution yet
    Saturday, September 26, 2015 10:13 PM
  • Hi,

As far as I know, the installation stops at 90% and the user is prompted with the Retry dialog. 

This happens when C2R cannot install one of the MSI components in the Final Integrate task. This can be due to the MSI component failing to install, MSIExec being busy, or the API throwing an error. 

Please try the follow methods:

1) Have the user select Retry.=>If the Retry option fails, reboot the machine. 
    2)  Run a Quick Repair after the machine has rebooted.

a. Open the  Programs and Features  menu.
    b. Locate and select the Microsoft Office product from the list by clicking it once.
    c. Click the  Change  button at the top of the programs list to bring up the repair menu.
    d. Make sure the  Quick Repair  option is selected, and click the  Repair  button in the dialog.
    e. Click  Repair again on the next dialog to confirm the “Quick Repair” operation.

3) We can temporarily stop the service, try to install Office again and then restart the service to fix the problem:

1. On a Windows 8 PC, type services.msc from the Start screen and tap or click services in the list of results.
      On a Windows 7 PC, click Start > Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.
    2. Look through the list of services, find Print Spooler, and open it.
    3. Tap or click Stop, and then tap or click OK.
    4. Try installing Office again.
    5. Once Office is installed on your PC, go back to the list of services and open Print Spooler.
    6. Tap or click Start, and then tap or click OK.
    Note This issue may occur if you have an HP 4500 Officejet printer or an HP 8500 Officejet printer.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2813190

Hope it's helpful.

Regards,

George Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Monday, September 28, 2015 6:21 AM
  • The procedure I followed to fix this was (including a few steps done before posting the question):

In a admin cmd prompt

1.  run sfc/scannow if there are errors found, update any drivers referenced, reboot and then run

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\RepairSource\Windows /LimitAccess
    Note Replace the C:\RepairSource\Windows placeholder with the location of your repair source. For more information about using the DISM tool to repair Windows, reference Repair a Windows Image.

(as in https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/947821)

You need to do this three times

2. reboot then rerun sfc /scannow which should now not find any errors.

3. Kill off any instances of the office click to run in task manager

4. run a full repair of office from control panel, programs

• Marked as answer by COTAL1 Monday, September 28, 2015 12:40 PM
    Monday, September 28, 2015 12:40 PM
  • I had this - MS were on remote call for over an hour retrying everything I had tried including disabling AV, Print Spooler and a run of sfc. In the end they said they would get back to me (still waiting) so I decided to try and fix it myself.

Deleted every reference I could find to Office 2016 (shortcuts, folders etc) and did an uninstall of what was left of it using CCleaner. Did a Reg Clean with CCleaner (trapped around 700 errors) - in fact I ran three registry cleans before enabling the Admin account and restarting the box. Logged on as Admin, ran yet more registry cleans until there were no errors reported and then logged into office365 using my account and ran the install as the Admin logged in user - and it worked this time.

What a faff - had I know I was in for this much grief I would have stayed with the previous version!

Friday, October 2, 2015 12:55 PM
  • I had this problem and I noticed that at around 78% the installation hung. I also noticed that Skype had started during the installation (I had a previous version of Skype that was set to start at boot time but that had been deleted). I quit Skype and the installation finished without further error. It seems to have started as it was being installed  no idea why!

Seems different fixes work in differing circumstances. I offer this on the basis that it might just help someone else.

Tuesday, October 13, 2015 1:43 PM
  • I've encountered this today on a clean Windows 7 build.  I went into task manager and killed wusa.exe and then within 30 seconds the progress had jumped from 90% to 95% and then completed successfully.
    • Proposed as answer by umeshdeuja Tuesday, November 17, 2015 12:08 AM
    Tuesday, November 10, 2015 2:04 PM
  • I just went looking for that item, but found Win32 installer in task manager. I was installing the 64-bit 2016, and as soon as I killed the 32 installer, it immediately went from 90% to finished.
    Wednesday, November 11, 2015 3:55 AM
  • That fixed it for me too! Killed the Win32 Installer, and all is right with the world. Nice job, wjelliott220!
    Friday, November 13, 2015 2:39 AM
  • Definitely on to something with the wusa.exe,

Possibly related to the older versions of office still installed or that it was missing a ton of windows updates, trying to download them before finishing the install. Only reason I say that is because the computer with the issue was offline for a long time has 60 updates ready to install now.

The other possibility is an old office install, in my case, outlook 07 contact manager still on there SO I started the uninstall while it was stuck at 90% complete for 2016 because I had already tried the other methods of removing and restarting and repairing which didn't help.

During the uninstall I saw the wusa.exe running and I was about to click it to end task and it disappeared and then all my office 16 shortcuts popped up on the taskbar and the 90% went away... seems to be running normally. 

Hope this helps someone and if they don't have one other the other things I mentioned maybe we can narrow it down to one or the other.

Regards,

M

p.s. Someone did mention it was a clean os install when it happened to them so updates is looking like the culprit.

• Edited by Support Tier Tuesday, November 17, 2015 8:38 PM new info
    Tuesday, November 17, 2015 8:33 PM
  • Killing the wusa.exe worked for me too ... thanx
    • Proposed as answer by R.D.Singh Tuesday, May 31, 2016 8:45 PM
    Saturday, December 12, 2015 8:49 PM
  • Exact same problem.  Clean Win 7 install, and office stuck at 90%.  Killed wusa.exe then jumped to 95% and completed within a minute.

Thanks

Sunday, December 20, 2015 6:59 PM
  • That totally worked!  KILL wusa.exe!!!

I looked for it in task manager but I didn't see it until I clicked "SHOW PROCESSES FROM ALL USERS."  Then I saw it and BAM, Office went from 90% to done in seconds after hanging for half an hour or more.

Thanks!

Saturday, January 9, 2016 1:13 AM
  • This one did it for me.

thx!

Monday, January 18, 2016 2:33 PM
  • This was needed as well on an HP machine I had that was originally fresh installed with HP Windows 7 Home Premium then upgraded to Windows 7 Professional using Windows Anytime Upgrade.

Rob Holmes

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 8:17 PM
  • Awesome!  Thanks.  I disabled VPN, Anti Virus and Firewall services and nothing.  But ending the wusa.exe process fixed it.  Just like reported, it jumped from 90 to 95 immediately and then finished.  Thanks so much.
    Saturday, February 6, 2016 7:41 PM
  • Killing WUSA.exe did it for me, Thanks!
    Friday, February 19, 2016 7:36 PM
  • For me I had to make sure my old UAG was completely uninstalled. 

AP

Monday, March 7, 2016 6:05 PM
  • All that needs to be done is open services.msc and restart Microsoft Click to Run service. This installation will then successfully complete...
    • Proposed as answer by gchq_fox Saturday, July 2, 2016 4:01 PM
    Wednesday, March 30, 2016 5:06 PM
  • Worked perfect! Thank you so much!
    Wednesday, April 6, 2016 9:29 PM
  • Worked a treat. Thanks

finished in 30 seconds

Tuesday, May 24, 2016 12:57 PM
  • Worked for me too!! :)

Windows 7 64bit

Cheers

Ian

Monday, June 6, 2016 5:07 PM
  • Bingo!!  That fixed it for me. Killed wusa.exe and like you said, 30 seconds it was done.  Thanks a ton. I was beating my head on the wall.

Wednesday, June 8, 2016 12:55 AM
  • ^ this worked for me

Joe H

Wednesday, June 8, 2016 11:02 PM
  • Thanks BronxD. That worked for me. Thanks for the instructions to click "SHOW PROCESSES FROM ALL USERS." .

THANKS!

Wednesday, June 15, 2016 3:38 PM
  • I've encountered this today on a clean Windows 7 build.  I went into task manager and killed wusa.exe and then within 30 seconds the progress had jumped from 90% to 95% and then completed successfully.
    clean install of Windows 7 hanging on the initial catalog of windows updates.  I bet if you ran the windows updates first before the office install it would sail right through.
    Thursday, June 16, 2016 3:20 PM
  • Hello everyone,

Thank you for reporting this in our community. We have released a fix that should solve for this issue in our latest update of Office version 16.0.6965.2058 on 6/14. To get the latest updates, click File > Account > Update Options > Update Now.

We hope this resolves your issue in this thread. Report back if otherwise.

Thanks!

Anahita Bahrami

Friday, June 17, 2016 1:00 AM
  • Killing wusa.exe fixed it for me! Thanks!
    Tuesday, June 28, 2016 5:02 PM
  • Definitely on to something with the wusa.exe,

p.s. Someone did mention it was a clean os install when it happened to them so updates is looking like the culprit.

Reading this thread and having the same issue with Office hanging at 90% killed wusa.exe and all completed in a few mins.

The machine was fresh build on Windows 7 with no updates, separate issue, but updates on this occasion was the source of the problem.

Wednesday, June 29, 2016 12:23 PM
  • ...bingo... Thanks much for this answer. Fixed the problem in about 30 seconds.

Thursday, July 21, 2016 9:45 PM
  • awesome!
    Thursday, July 28, 2016 6:04 PM
  • What do yo mean by 'kill' the win32 installer? Sorry i'm a novice.

Thursday, November 17, 2016 9:52 AM