none
Root site seattle.master corrupted 'Sorry something went wrong', Oslo.master works but it's not suitable

Question

• Guys,

The question relates to the branding of SharePoint so hopefully someone with some knowledge in the area can shed some light. A bit of an odd one:

I have a site collection with a number of subsites within it. Subsites were configured to inherit their parent's master- seattle in this case when it all worked. All subsites currently work fine under seattle.master. In the _catalogs/masterpage directory for each respective site there are just seattle and oslo master pages along with their .preview files and some DeviceChannelMappings and Forms folder. There are no html ones which I assume is by design.

Above them, I have this root page that works only under oslo.master. Seattle one is corrupted. I have several copies of seattle.html's. seattle.master's etc under different names. I simply got lost with them. I noticed that I broke my seattle.master when I added another Headings with the link in it to the global navigation (site has Publishing enabled). Every time I switch to seattle.master I get 'Sorry something went wrong'.

In order to do something on the site, I have to change to oslo.master which in my case looks ugly and it is completely unsuitable. When I browse to 'Change the Look' I cannot see any Site Layouts, Color Pallettes and Fonts. That is both for Seattle and Oslo master. the page is just blank. 'Change the Look' works fine with the sub-sites though. When I look at the sub-site's Composed Looks, their master pages are in /rootsite/subsite/_catalogs/masterpage/ whereas .spcolors and .spfonts are in /rootsite/_catalogs/theme/15/.

I tried to import design package, copy good html and master pages across- no success.

The question is- how can I make a parent site to use its subsite theme. I want a working seattle.master and its html to be available in my root page!

Please help because I am banging my head against the wall with this one!

Thanks

Tuesday, October 1, 2013 3:20 PM

All replies

• If you already have valid Design and Master in the Master Page Gallery you will be ok

> go to the Design Manager and

> #7 > Select Publish & Apply Design

> Select Assign Master Pages based on Devioce Channel

Hope this helps

eric

• Proposed as answer by eric Schimansky Tuesday, October 1, 2013 4:34 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Lukas_UK Wednesday, October 2, 2013 8:25 AM
    Tuesday, October 1, 2013 4:31 PM
  • Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean. Your instructions are a bit vague.

When I navigate to any of the site with the working seattle.mastrer  and go to Design Manager, I am switched to the root site collection level.

Design files for both root and sub-sites are (.spcolor and spfont) are indeed in /rootsite/_catalogs/theme/15/ and are working fine.

Masterpages for sub-sites are in /rootsite/subsite/_catalogs/masterpage/ and are working fine.

Masterpages for a root site are in /rootsite/_catalogs/masterpage and these are the ones that are messed up.

I cannot apply the master page based on your instructions because all the seattle.masters I see are the corrupted ones!

But thanks for trying to help.

Wednesday, October 2, 2013 8:23 AM
  • What I realized just now is:

Site Collection A (broken master)

Site Collection B

Site Collection C

When I copy html file + master + preview from Site Collection C and upload them to the masterpage gallery in Site Collection B, then set it as a default master page- it works.

When I upload them to the masterpage gallery in Site Collection A and set it as default- I get 'Sorry, something went wrong'

There must be something wrong in the site definition related to the seattle.master, broken links I don't know. Importing design packages does not work too since it still uses default SharePoint design files. What would work would be to upload everything: master page, css, java etc. I can't afford to test it on my live site.

Surprisingly, all the sub-sites within Site Collection A can hold their seattle.master and associations... Help!

EDIT:

the System.NullReferenceException in Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.AspMenu.OnMenuItemDataBound(MenuEventArgs e) points to an ASPMenu on the site, presumably in the masterpage the top or quicklaunch navigation if you don't have any other custom menus there. So either the menu datasource provides a null value or the datasource itself is null when binding it to the menu (Matthias_Einig)

I have no custom menu or anything like that. I just added a link to my global navigation and it broke the whole site. 

• Edited by Lukas_UK Monday, October 28, 2013 12:07 PM
    Wednesday, October 2, 2013 11:58 AM
  • Does anybody ever read unanswered posts? I am still stuck with the problem. Cannot afford to create a new site collection. I am working in production and my site collection contains a lot of sub-sites... Can anybody help?

Since I am using an 'oslo.master' for my root home page, can I for example delete the whole Top Navigation links and leave just the Current Navigation? Clearly, the fault is in Top Navigation mode that oslo.master does not use hence it is the only master working on my site's root page. Subsites have their own top navigation nodes based on seatlle.master but they use different values there hence sub-sites maintain their seattle templates just fine... 

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 2:40 PM
  • I'm not sure if this is of any use but I had the same issue after I changed some navigation items on a site, except mine was the other way around the Oslo master was not working but Seattle was.  I changed to the site in SP Designer 2013 to the Seattle one which allowed me to go back into the navigation and then reset the changes I had made in navigation and then reset to Oslo and now it is working fine.

Aisling De Barra

Thursday, December 5, 2013 7:59 AM
  • I just switched to the Managed Metadata Navigation and that allowed me to use my desired master page. There is no security trimming but at least the nodes are working.
    Thursday, December 5, 2013 9:06 AM