none
Measure Exchange 2013 Replicated Data From one Server to another server or one Site to Another site. RRS feed

• Question

• We're running Exchange environment 2013 with DAG & site resilience and our databases are being replicated on our secondary site( Exchange Servers).
    How do I measure the traffic between two sites? I need to measure that how much data is replicated on my secondary site (Exchange Servers from the primary site (Exchange Servers) on daily basis.
    Your technical opinion would be appreciated, thanks in advance. 

Hussain Arif(Senior System Administrator)

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 7:48 AM

Answers

• You may want to track the replication queue length for a small time period let say 10-20 min when primary site is not able to replicate to DR. And you can calculate the total file in queue and size of a single log file. Do some math, it will be a approximation but not actual.

Please mark as an answer if this answers your question .

PREM RANA

MCSE Exchange 2013, MCSA 2012 Server MCTS Exchange 2007,

2010, MCITP Exchange 2007, 2010 MCSE 2003 Server,

MCSA Exchange 2003 ITIL V3 Foundation

https://ranaprem.wordpress.com/

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Hussain Arif Thursday, September 27, 2018 10:57 AM
    Friday, September 14, 2018 9:53 AM
  • Record the name of the latest transaction log file for each database at a certain time.  Record the name again 24 (or some other number) hours later.  Convert each from hex to decimal, subtract the numbers, multiply by 1MB and you'll have a pretty good estimate of the replication traffic. 

Note that this doesn't take into consideration the traffic from content indexing; I don't know how to calculate that.

It might just be easier to use a network monitoring tool, since the total traffic should be the number you really care about.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Sunday, September 23, 2018 10:31 PM
  • You're welcome.  Please feel free to mark responses as the answer and/or vote them as helpful as appropriate.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Wednesday, September 26, 2018 5:38 AM

All replies

• Hi Hussain Arif,

As far as I know, Exchange doesn't have a built-in function to calculate the traffic between primary site and secondary site.

If you want to calculate the traffic between them, I think you may need to use a three-way tool to monitor traffic.

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, September 13, 2018 7:30 AM
  • Is there any way to check how much data replicated from one server to another server? 

Friday, September 14, 2018 9:43 AM
  • You may want to track the replication queue length for a small time period let say 10-20 min when primary site is not able to replicate to DR. And you can calculate the total file in queue and size of a single log file. Do some math, it will be a approximation but not actual.

PREM RANA

Friday, September 14, 2018 9:53 AM
  • Let me elaborate again, we've extended dag on DR site and having mailbox servers on DR site I just want to know how much dbs&logs are being replicated in 24 hours from one server to another server (Between Primary site servers & Between Primary to DR Site servers) I want to calculate this data. 

Friday, September 14, 2018 11:45 AM
  • Hi,

Since there is no standard tool for this task, stop the replication to DR for 10 min, count the number if copy queue length and if let say number is 100, multiply it by 100*6*24.

PREM RANA

Friday, September 14, 2018 12:56 PM
  • Hi Hussain Arif,

Exchange only has those Performance Counters to monitor Exchange server, however they cannot count the traffic tansport between two sites.

You can also confirm with the Windows server forum to see if they have a way to count traffic between two sites. If they also can't do it, I think you need to use some three-way tools to achieve this.

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, September 19, 2018 2:46 AM
  • Record the name of the latest transaction log file for each database at a certain time.  Record the name again 24 (or some other number) hours later.  Convert each from hex to decimal, subtract the numbers, multiply by 1MB and you'll have a pretty good estimate of the replication traffic. 

Note that this doesn't take into consideration the traffic from content indexing; I don't know how to calculate that.

It might just be easier to use a network monitoring tool, since the total traffic should be the number you really care about.

Sunday, September 23, 2018 10:31 PM
  • Alright!

Thanks for your answer. 

Tuesday, September 25, 2018 10:56 AM
  • You're welcome.  Please feel free to mark responses as the answer and/or vote them as helpful as appropriate.

Wednesday, September 26, 2018 5:38 AM