none
Why does Office Software Protection Platform Service continue to run after completing a licensing status check?

Question

• I have Office Professional Plus 2010 installed and activated with a MAK key.

Similar to Windows, there is a licensing check after starting any Office application, and the Office Software Protection Platform Service is started. However, unlike the service that does this job in Windows 7, the Office Software Protection Platform Service never stops running. I thought that the new Microsoft system services philosophy was to use triggered services wherever possible, and this is a clear-cut case for using it. But, lo and behold, Microsoft's very own flagship productivity suite doesn't respect Microsoft's own new architecture tenets.

Proof? Here it is, in black and white:

C:\Windows\system32>sc qtriggerinfo osppsvc
    [SC] QueryServiceConfig2 SUCCESS

The service osppsvc has not registered for any start or stop triggers.

Why is that so, I pray?

Sunday, May 16, 2010 1:26 PM

Answers

• Hi TomislavRex,

The Office Software Protection Platform service is generally started on demand when a user has started Office, however, there are license types which can start the service otherwise (such as those using a Key Management Server). As for stopping the service, there are several reasons we do not automatically shut down the service by default. These reasons are based on Office's cross OS version compatibility, communications from our users about their Office usage profile, preferences, resource usage profile, and differing ways in utilizing the service between Office and Windows.

That said, while we do not default our service to timing out after inactivity, if this is something your organization values, you have the ability to control this. You may set the following registry key:

Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\OfficeSoftwareProtectionPlatform

ValueName: InactivityShutdownDelay

ValueType: DWORD

ValueData: The number in seconds, that the Office Software Protection Platform will stay running for, after the most recent activity. The windows default for this is 300 seconds.

After setting this key, simply restart the Office Software Protection Platform Service to use the new settings.

Sincerely,

Tianyu

Microsoft Office Licensing Development

Monday, May 17, 2010 9:15 PM

All replies

• More and more programs generally are now using licensing programs to attempt to cope with percieved piracy. If the price was lower, more sales, simple econ 101.

I simply now deploy machines with more RAM to cope.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe Need a some parts finish the new server, see the site for remaining items needed
    Sunday, May 16, 2010 8:34 PM
  • Hi TomislavRex,

The Office Software Protection Platform service is generally started on demand when a user has started Office, however, there are license types which can start the service otherwise (such as those using a Key Management Server). As for stopping the service, there are several reasons we do not automatically shut down the service by default. These reasons are based on Office's cross OS version compatibility, communications from our users about their Office usage profile, preferences, resource usage profile, and differing ways in utilizing the service between Office and Windows.

That said, while we do not default our service to timing out after inactivity, if this is something your organization values, you have the ability to control this. You may set the following registry key:

ValueData: The number in seconds, that the Office Software Protection Platform will stay running for, after the most recent activity. The windows default for this is 300 seconds.

After setting this key, simply restart the Office Software Protection Platform Service to use the new settings.

Sincerely,

Tianyu

Monday, May 17, 2010 9:15 PM
  • Thank you very much, this works just like it should - great.

I value cutting down on unnecessary running processes as much as Microsoft does. I only wish this was documented, so that people who want to do this know how to do it!

Thanks again.

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 11:43 AM
  • Hi Tanyu,

I am planning the rollout of Office 2010 in a company with 100.000 clients worldwide.

We have a server with the Key Management Service running in it to activate Windows 7 and Office 2010. Now the IT staff in Asia asked me how often per day the Office Software Protection Platform askes the KMS even after activation of the product? Every time I start an Office application? How many bytes are transferred? Often we have only slow WAN lines.

Kind regards,

Juergen Geiss
    Germany
    BASF IT Services

Thursday, May 20, 2010 12:34 PM
  • Do not worry about it, as long as your KMS machiine is realatively strong.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe Need a some parts finish the new server, see the site for remaining items needed
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 12:59 PM
  • Hi Tanyu,

I am planning the rollout of Office 2010 in a company with 100.000 clients worldwide.

We have a server with the Key Management Service running in it to activate Windows 7 and Office 2010. Now the IT staff in Asia asked me how often per day the Office Software Protection Platform askes the KMS even after activation of the product? Every time I start an Office application? How many bytes are transferred? Often we have only slow WAN lines.

Kind regards,

Juergen Geiss
    Germany
    BASF IT Services

As Vegan Fanatic said, you don't have to worry about it.  This is the KMS activation schedule:

When you first start Office, KMS activation will be attempted.  If it is successful, then by default, there will be another activation atttempt made every seven (7) days.  Although the OSPP service will be started, there will be no network traffic with the KMS host if you're activated.  The purpose of this is because the licensed state lasts 180 days, so by re-activating often, you will have as close to 180 days as possible.  If you are not in the licensed state (you are not activated), then activation will be attempted every 2 hours.

With that said, you can change the reactivation interval.  Just use the slmgr.vbs /dri command on your KMS host, and specify the number of MINUTES of the reactivation interval.  The default is 70,560 minutes (7 days).  You can change that to a max of 30 days.  This is one way to reduce traffic.

Regardless of what you choose, the KMS transaction is 250 bytes, so it is a very low burden on the network.

Ted Way [MSFT], Program Manager, Microsoft Office: Enterprise Licensing, Group Policy, and 64-bit Office
    • Proposed as answer by Dr. Migration Tuesday, May 25, 2010 2:49 PM
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 5:05 PM
  • Thank you Ted for your detailed description. That helps a lot.

Could you please have a look at
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/officevolact/thread/13589af1-f4a6-4b67-8308-8f562a2bf53b

I have another activation question. Maybe you know the answer.

Friday, May 21, 2010 11:07 AM
  • Unfortunately this registry setting only affects Windows Vista / Windows 7 platforms. Why is this feature not supported for Windows XP SP3?
    Thursday, December 02, 2010 7:10 PM
  • Unfortunately this registry setting only affects Windows Vista / Windows 7 platforms. Why is this feature not supported for Windows XP SP3?

Could you please clarify which registry setting you're referring to?  This thread diverged into talking about two different ones: the number of minutes for attempting reactivation with the KMS host, and the timeout interval for the SPP service.
    Ted Way [MSFT], Program Manager, Microsoft Office: Enterprise Licensing, Group Policy, and 64-bit Office
    Friday, December 03, 2010 2:31 AM
  • I wonder if there is a problem with the OP's KMS server?

For the other questioner, I suggest a new thread so that we can more easily figure out who has what problem.

Elected! Your votes and support have got me my 2010 MVP!

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Hardcore Games | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Friday, December 03, 2010 2:34 AM
  • I think it's the registry setting below, which doesn't work on XP SP3 (same for me) :

--Pierre

Tuesday, December 07, 2010 6:06 PM
  • I am referring to the InactivityShutdownDelay registry key to automaticly stop the Office Software Protection Platform service after a specified time-out value has elapsed. Unfortunately this registry setting does not seem to have any affect at all on Windows XP SP3 platforms. The Office Software Protection Platform service continues to run in the background.
    Saturday, December 18, 2010 11:04 PM
  • I am referring to the InactivityShutdownDelay registry key to automaticly stop the Office Software Protection Platform service after a specified time-out value has elapsed. Unfortunately this registry setting does not seem to have any affect at all on Windows XP SP3 platforms. The Office Software Protection Platform service continues to run in the background.

I have exactly the same problem.
    Friday, December 24, 2010 8:43 PM
  • Office 2003 used a one time activation except for the volume license which does not require activation.

Office 2007 is not longer offered without activation even to volume users. This is due to the widespread piracy of Office 2003.

Office 2010 now uses a key management system like Windows 7 does.

Elected! Your votes and support have got me my 2010 MVP!

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Hardcore Games | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Friday, December 24, 2010 8:47 PM
  • I know it is only 10mb of ram, but it is MY ram, not MS. Yeah, I know, petty. But I cobbled together a vbs script because it bugs me! Then dup it for each office app, make a shortcut, change the icon, and it is invisible to the user. I tried a 5 second delay, but when I had a lot of stuff open, well, it failed. But the 10 seconds has been working great. I have XP PRO SP3 and Office Pro 2010.

Dim MyObj
    Set MyObj=CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    MyObj.Run "winword.exe"

Wscript.Sleep 10000

'Stop Service
    strServiceName = "OSPPSVC"
    Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\.\root\cimv2")
    Set colListOfServices = objWMIService.ExecQuery("Select * from Win32_Service Where Name ='" & strServiceName & "'")
    For Each objService in colListOfServices
    objService.StopService()
    Next

Then I had a few shortcuts for files, so

set wshshell=createobject("wscript.shell")
    wshshell.run """C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\msaccess.exe"" ""C:\my directory\myfile.accdb"""
    set wshshell=nothing

Wscript.Sleep 10000

'Stop Service
    strServiceName = "OSPPSVC"
    Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\.\root\cimv2")
    Set colListOfServices = objWMIService.ExecQuery("Select * from Win32_Service Where Name ='" & strServiceName & "'")
    For Each objService in colListOfServices
    objService.StopService()
    Next

Works fantastically. Oh, and thanks MS!

Wednesday, January 05, 2011 7:02 PM
  • Very helpful!
    Friday, March 18, 2011 4:49 PM
  • Tianyu

Just a quick question on the registry edit.

Is the vale Hex or Decimal?

Will this work on 2003 terminal server?

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 4:27 PM
  • I should point out that depending on the software stack, there could be several license managers running all at once.

RAM is cheaper now and I advocate using 64-bit editions across the board if possible. My netbook lacks enough RAM to use 64-bit Windows but the CPU is capable.

Windows MVP, paid Remote Assistance is available for XP, Vista and Windows 7.

My page on Video Card Problems is now my most popular landing page. See my gaming site for game reviews etc.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 4:32 PM
  • Hi TomislavRex,

Sincerely,

Tianyu

This is not working for me on win7 x64 ultimate
    Monday, August 08, 2011 5:11 PM
  • Hi TomislavRex,

Sincerely,

Tianyu

This is not working for me on win7 x64 ultimate

It should be working, I'm now on 7x64, and it works like before. You just have to be precise where you will place it. Click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\OfficeSoftwareProtectionPlatform.

On the right you will see several lines, if one of them is Path, you are in the right place. Click (right-click) on the emptiness around those lines and choose New>DWORD (32 bit value). Name it InactivityShutdownDelay. Then right click on it and choose modify. Change the base to decimal and enter the number of seconds. Click OK and you are good to go. You can restart the service manually, or just reboot.

Thursday, August 11, 2011 3:15 PM
  •  

For what it is worth...
    Using WindowsXP, Excel 2010 starts without starting OSPPSVC.exe using this .vbs script in Notepad:
    '---
    With CreateObject("Excel.Application")
     .Visible = True
     .Workbooks.Add
    End With
    '---
    Jim Cone
    Portland, Oregon USA

Thursday, November 17, 2011 3:35 AM
  • The registry key doesnt resolve my problem.

I run W7 x64.

I added HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\OfficeSoftwareProtectionPlatform\InactivityShutdownDelay DWORD = 120.

Restarted the PC.

Opened Word - the OSPPSVC popped in the Task Manager

Closed Word.

Waited 5 min - nothing happened.

Rinsed and repeated few times - the OSPPSVC is still running once it started.

Any help will be appreciated

Thursday, November 24, 2011 4:29 PM
  • Will someone please respond to the folks who are not getting this "fix" to work with Windows 7? I am having the same problem, and I'm definitely doing it right. Here's the thing though, it actually DOES do what it's supposed to... only I have to manually restart the service (after starting up an office app) for it to shut itself down after the time I specified. Here's how it works: I edited the reg value to have the service shut down after 5 seconds. When I first start up an app, say Word, OPPSVC.exe is up and running and does not go away after 5 seconds (or 5 minutes). If I go into process hacker and manually restart OPPSVC, it starts back up and DOES terminate after 5 seconds (or whatever I set the value to). HOW can we get this to work automatically, without making me manually restart the service each time? I mean, I'd be better off just manually terminating OPPSVC.exe each time I run an Office app if this is how it's going to behave. Please help. I, like many others, cannot stand stubborn unneeded processes that hog my system's resources without my permission. Thank you.
    • Edited by Dragaan Friday, January 20, 2012 5:22 AM
    Friday, January 20, 2012 5:20 AM
  • Did you ever get the Office Software Protection Platform Service Event ID; 1003 resolved.

I have 300 systems running Windows XP SP3 with Office Pro Plus. I deployed the software with Altiris and used Microsofts VMAT to license it. Now the systems hang during the day and this event happens as others have mentioned several time a day.

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 12:21 PM
  • Modified registry as you suggested but made no difference. OSPP keeps on running.
    Sunday, September 02, 2012 9:43 AM
  • OSPP and other digital rights managers are now using services modules which are loaded all the time. Generally they are there to speed loading and to insure the software is licensed properly.

Windows MVP 2011-12, XP, Vista, 7 and 8. More people have climbed Everest than having 2 MVP's on the wall.

Hardcore Games, Legendary is the only Way to Play

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Sunday, September 02, 2012 1:27 PM
  • My workaround for Windows 7 64bit:

Go to Event Viewer, Application log.

Find event 1003 of Office Software Protection Platform Service.  This is the "completed licensing status check" event.

Right click and choose: Attach Task To This Event...

Give it an action of: Start a Program

with a Program/script of: net

and arguments of: stop osppsvc

This will stop the service after it has completed its office verification.

• Edited by JonKL Thursday, October 04, 2012 7:57 AM typo
    • Proposed as answer by i wayan windows Thursday, December 27, 2012 11:32 AM
    Thursday, October 04, 2012 7:55 AM

Find event 1003 of Office Software Protection Platform Service.  This is the "completed licensing status check" event.

Have you tried that?  With such a task, upon starting an Office app, I get a message box:

"Microsoft cannot verify the license for this product. ...".  It would seem OSPPSVC logs that event before it's finished doing all that it must do to allow the app to run.

- Vince

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 4:52 AM

Have you tried that?  With such a task, upon starting an Office app, I get a message box:

"Microsoft cannot verify the license for this product. ...".  It would seem OSPPSVC logs that event before it's finished doing all that it must do to allow the app to run.

- Vince

Yes, I have "tried that", so that is why it is my workaround.  Sorry for any confusion.

I am also confused how a task assigned to run after a "completed licensing status check" event has any impact on a "Microsoft cannot verify the license for this product. ..." event.

The purpose of the posted workaround is to shut down the osppsvc service after it has completed all of the required verification tasks because it has nothing left to do.  Your event leads me to conclude that you are trying to run an unlicensed copy of Office and trying to hack around osppsvc entirely.  If this is a correct conclusion then obviously my workaround will not work for you.

Thursday, October 25, 2012 2:39 AM

- Vince

Yes, I have "tried that", so that is why it is my workaround.  Sorry for any confusion.

I am also confused how a task assigned to run after a "completed licensing status check" event has any impact on a "Microsoft cannot verify the license for this product. ..." event.

The purpose of the posted workaround is to shut down the osppsvc service after it has completed all of the required verification tasks because it has nothing left to do.  Your event leads me to conclude that you are trying to run an unlicensed copy of Office and trying to hack around osppsvc entirely.  If this is a correct conclusion then obviously my workaround will not work for you.

My copy of Office is registered.  And I also don't understand why your solution, as proposed, doesn't work reliably here.  But I know that If I introduce a brief delay before stopping OSPPSVC then your solution works perfectly.  This I have done with a script.  Using a script has the added benefit of letting me kill the instance of TASKENG.EXE which would otherwise hang around needlessly for five minutes.
    Tuesday, October 30, 2012 6:32 PM
  • I don't have microsoft office. I use Open Office. So why is the office software protection platform running on my computer?
    Friday, December 14, 2012 10:36 PM