disable proofing, spell checker, using GPO.

• Hi, i need to remove the spell check and autocorrect feature in office 2010 for certain users in my domain using a gpo. Situation is we have exams and the students will log in using an exam account and this account needs to have a gpo applied to it that removes all proofing tooles.  Thanks.
    Sunday, October 16, 2011 7:29 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for using Microsoft Office for IT Professionals Forums.

From your description, you can try the following method:

1.Disable autocorrect and other unwanted features.
    Microsoft Office Word 2010 > Word Options > Proofing

2. Remove these items from the UI
    Microsoft Office Word 2010 > Disable Items from User Interface > Custom > Disable Commands

Control Name |Policy ID

Spelling |2
    Grammar |329
    SetLanguage |790
    SpellingRecheckDocument |2349
    GrammarSettingsDialog |2469
    SpellingAndGrammar |2566
    ProofingOptions |2788
    SpellingHideErrors |3217
    GrammarHideErrors |3218
    Dictionary |3219
    TranslationPane |6111
    ResearchPane |7343
    ReadingViewResearchPane |7387
    Thesaurus |9056
    (greys out Word Options)* |11323
    TranslationToolTip |12842
    EnglishWritingAssistant |14453
    SpellingMenu |15780

More information about this can be found here:
    Disable user interface items and shortcut keys

3.Disable to the keyboard shortcuts
    Microsoft Office Word 2010 > Disable Items from User Interface > Custom > Disable shortcut keys

F7 | 118
    Shift + F7 | 118,16
    Ctrl + Shift + o | 79,12
    Alt – T | 254

Please take your time to try the suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Rex Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Proposed as answer by B.G. Arets Tuesday, January 31, 2012 8:38 AM
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 3:02 AM
  • Hi Rex,

I've just tried that, and while it does grey out all the toolbar options, the squiggly red line still appears under spelling errors, and the correct spelling is available via a right-click.

Thursday, October 20, 2011 3:31 PM
  • Hi Rex,

Thanks for the reply however auto capitalisation is applied underlining and right click spell check is still avaliable.

Any help on removing these musch appreciated.

Sunday, November 06, 2011 11:52 AM
  • Okay, I've finally got this.

Follow Rex Zhang's instructions above to disable the toolbars, and then add the following registry key to the restricted users:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Proofing Tools\1.0\Office]

You will also need to add the following reg key to everyone else, otherwise they won't get the spell check if they use a computer after a restricted user.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Proofing Tools\1.0\Office]

• Proposed as answer by enjay_enjay Friday, November 18, 2011 2:52 PM
    Friday, November 18, 2011 2:46 PM
  • Nice one Enjay, the last issue i have remaining is auto capitalisation of the first letter of each paragraph? no matter what i do it still keeps auto correcting to a capital could really do with a gpo setting to remove it. Well done for your find as i have been overwriting the mssp7en.dll dictionary file with a blank file your method is cleaner.
    Sunday, November 20, 2011 10:51 AM
  • Auto capitalization can't be turned off with a simple key, unless Microsoft forgot to document it. I spent too much time trying to figure this all out and I had missed some of this stuff. Regardless, the only way to switch off that capitalization is through messing with a huge binary key (Software\Microsoft\Office\Office14\Word\Data in registry I believe, under HKCU).

Anyway, this tool I recently put up might help.
    • Edited by MikeMorawski Tuesday, December 06, 2011 10:23 PM
    Tuesday, December 06, 2011 10:23 PM
  • The above settings combined with the registry settings work.

However I found 5 more settings you should disable. These options take a user to word options and the user can turn Spell Check on again.

(greys out Word Options)* |11323

·         MarginsCustomMargins | 12795

·         PageSetupDialog | 247

·         PageSizeMorePaperSizesDialog | 15048

·         LineNumbersOptionsDialog | 15049

·         LanguagePreferences | 22145

B. Arets

• Edited by B.G. Arets Tuesday, January 31, 2012 8:39 AM
    • Proposed as answer by B.G. Arets Tuesday, January 31, 2012 8:39 AM
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 8:38 AM
  • Just want to say thanks B.G Arets. I've updated the code and added credit where needed!

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 12:49 AM
  • Im having the same problem, i need to Turn off all spelling and grammar checking for an exam. Everything has been turned off apart from the spellchecker as you type. I set up the GPO to change the registry key when the exam user logs in, but it didn't work. A GPresult showed everything had applied correctly, my problem is, that registry key doesn't exist in our x86 Win XP student build. Any help is appreciated
    Tuesday, January 08, 2013 1:30 PM