none
Outlook of Office 365 won't reopen once I close it and OneDrive is not finished "driveupload" RRS feed

• Question

• Sometimes I need to close Outlook when I am doing other things on my PC. I have Office 365 but despite the constant updates, i may rethink my purchase of the subscription.  

How do I get Outlook Data files to "driveupload" eventually? I have yet to see it complete - there is always files making OneDrive needs attention.

Besides, if that is not the issue with Outlook not restarting until I restart the PC then what is it? 

Hate to sound annoyed but I am.

Thank you,

Friday, August 16, 2019 11:09 PM

All replies

• Hi,

There are many possibilities on outlook giving problems and some of them are as below.

If you account is in offline mode then try to change it to online mode and see if that helps or else you can still have your outlook in offline mode but reduce the data it displays, to do so follow the below steps.

Go to File> Account settings > Account settings 

That would show your email address and when you double click on your email address it would throw up a pop-up box and show if its in online or offline (if its offline then there would be a tick mark next to "use cache mode").

If that's ticked then you will have an option below that to select the data that you need on your outlook.

you can select to "download emails from the past" 1 2 3 6 months or 1 year or so..

Next> save or apply and restart your outlook.

That would display only the emails of past 1 2 3 or 6 months and all your old emails are still be available online where you can access them through owa.

Also check if there are any additional unwanted shared mailboxes linked to your outlook as they would slow down or take down most of your space.

----------------------------------------

It would be easier if you want to move or have a copy of your emails saved as a pst in onedrive or any other location.to do so all you need to do is to go to File>Open & Export> Import/Export>Export to a file> select .pst >select the data you want to export and finish.

That would save your data in the form of pst and the same can be uploaded in onedrive or can be saved in any other location.

Kindly vote if that's of any help

Saturday, August 17, 2019 5:05 PM
  • Hi Rodwell,

This normally occurs when outlook is not actually closed. Please open Task Manager > process tab, see if outlook process is still running.

If yes, end the task and then see whether you can reopen Outlook.

Some add-ins could cause this issue. We can try opening Outlook in safe mode to see if the issue continues. Please exit Outlook, press Win key + R to open the Run command, type outlook /safe and then press Enter.

>>How do I get Outlook Data files to "driveupload" eventually?

Do you save Outlook data file to OneDrive? Normally, it's not recommended to put local data file to network drive as frequent synchronization could easily leads to file corruption.

In this case, please move date file to a local folder to test the results.

Any updates, you can feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 19, 2019 5:27 AM
  • Hi Rodwell,

Just check how is everything going on with this issue. If you have further concern, please feel free to tell us.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 22, 2019 6:48 AM