none
The "Exchange Server" that is autopopulated on the mail profiles of Outlook clients is a Distinguished Name instead of just the server's hostname? RRS feed

• Question

• When a new user and mailbox is created, the "msExchHomeServerName" attribute of the user in AD is this:

/o=ORGANIZATION/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/CN=Configuration/cn=Servers/cn=<Exch Hostname>

When the user opens Outlook the first time, it won't connect to the server. I check the mail profile and the field for "Exchange Server" is the same as above. If I change that to the server's hostname (or simply "mail"), Outlook connects fine.

Alternatively, if I change msExchHomeServerName on the user account to the hostname and run GPUpdate, it also works and the mail profile now shows the correct server in the "Exchange Server" field.

It looks like autodiscover is working fine since the client is getting exactly the same information that's in Active Directory, so I'm not sure where the problem is.

Either the Exchange server is populating the wrong information into that attribute on the user object, or that's the right information and for some reason the clients aren't able to use it to connect to the server.

Any help is appreciated!

Saturday, July 13, 2019 4:20 PM

All replies

• Hi jerdub1993,

I want to confirm with you:

1. Does users connect to Exchange from internal or external of your domain?

2. Can't they configure Outlook profile or can't they open it after configuring it?

Could you provide a screenshot about the result of "Test Email AutoConfiguration" and the result of command below to us?(Just remove domain name, keep the prefixes and suffixes, like picture below)

Get-ClientAccessServer | fl name,*URI*

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, July 15, 2019 2:24 AM
  • Hi jerdub1993,

I am writing here to confirm with you any update about this thread now?

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 18, 2019 8:14 AM