none
Can 2 different SharePoint farms share the same SQL database RRS feed

• Question

• Can 2 different SharePoint farms share the same SQL database? Thats is will there be any conflict between the 2 central database tables in the single SQL database? Or does 2 SharePoint farms need 2 entirely seperate SQL databases so the central database tables don't conflict?
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 9:04 PM

Answers

• I think this is a semantics issue.  Do you mean to say Database Server, Database Instance, or Database?
    • Two farms can share the same Database Server in separate Instances
    • Two farms can share the same Database Server in the same Instance
    • Two farms can share the same Database Instance with completely separate Databases
    • Two farms cannot share the same individual database.  In fact, SharePoint consists of many individual databases, so even one farm does not share one database
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 9:58 PM
  • signup said:

Isn't this "Two farms can share the same Database Instance with completely separate Databases" going to be a nightmare to manage? I much prefer to have either seperate Database servers computers or seperate Database server instances on the same computer. Won't you agree?

No, it's not a nightmare.  A lot of people do this, although I prefer to do separate instances if I can.  You may do your dev and test farms in the same instance, because they are not heavily used and don't have a lot of data.  If you don't like that, then you can go with the other options as stated.  Does this info answer your initial question?
    Friday, December 12, 2008 1:57 AM

All replies

• They can't share the same database.

They can share the same copy of SQL Server (with the problems being the possible overload of that server) with completely different databases.
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 9:09 PM
  • I think this is a semantics issue.  Do you mean to say Database Server, Database Instance, or Database?
    • Two farms can share the same Database Server in separate Instances
    • Two farms can share the same Database Server in the same Instance
    • Two farms can share the same Database Instance with completely separate Databases
    • Two farms cannot share the same individual database.  In fact, SharePoint consists of many individual databases, so even one farm does not share one database
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 9:58 PM
  • Isn't this "Two farms can share the same Database Instance with completely separate Databases" going to be a nightmare to manage? I much prefer to have either seperate Database servers computers or seperate Database server instances on the same computer. Won't you agree?
    Friday, December 12, 2008 12:46 AM
  • signup said:

Isn't this "Two farms can share the same Database Instance with completely separate Databases" going to be a nightmare to manage? I much prefer to have either seperate Database servers computers or seperate Database server instances on the same computer. Won't you agree?

No, it's not a nightmare.  A lot of people do this, although I prefer to do separate instances if I can.  You may do your dev and test farms in the same instance, because they are not heavily used and don't have a lot of data.  If you don't like that, then you can go with the other options as stated.  Does this info answer your initial question?
    Friday, December 12, 2008 1:57 AM
  • You need to be a bit careful here. Whilst farm/installation one will go in ok, farm/installation two may well suffer issues around security. MOSS will setup its security requirements within SQL and on your seciond install it'll try and do it again meaning duplicate entries (possibly) in its system databases. You'll find therefore that the correct security will not be applied across the search databases and content databases created thereafter within the second farm/installation.
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 9:16 AM
  • Hi Clayton,

How do you install two SharePoint 2013 farms differentlly so that their database names in the same instance do not conflict?

-Peter

• Edited by Peter P S Sunday, December 13, 2015 7:57 PM
    Sunday, December 13, 2015 7:56 PM
  • @peter, I used AutoSPInstaller to automate two instances of SharePoint into a single instance of SQL Server. I was able to separate the Database names by adding a prefix in the AutoSPInstaller configuration file. One farm, for instance has the prefix STG, while the other farm has the prefix DEV. 

When the databases are deployed, the prefix is applied to each of the individual databases provisioned during the configuration. 

e.g. If you set this to TEST, your config DB will be TEST_ConfigDB.

If you set the prefix to localhost, script will prepend each database with the name of the server on which the script is run

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 8:08 PM