none
linking files in one drive RRS feed

• Question

• Usually when you insert a chart or data from Excel into Word or PowerPoint it will automatically update the chart (or offer you the option to) when you open the file again if the Excel data changed. does this carries over into USING 2016 OneDrive?

• Edited by sevi79 Thursday, July 18, 2019 4:48 PM
    Thursday, July 18, 2019 4:45 PM

All replies

• Yes, If the excel are uploaded in OneDrive. So, yes if the Excel data changed then automatically carries over to OneDrive as well.

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Friday, July 19, 2019 2:27 AM
  • Hi,

This feature is fully supported in OneDrive 2016.

The data link remains when you insert a chart to a Word file from an Excel file in OneDrive, and will automatically update the charts in both files as long as you keep OneDrive in a synced status.

Best regards,

Chelsea Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Friday, July 19, 2019 2:29 AM
  • i copied an excel table and past special link in my word doc and then close and save the files.  when i reopen the word and exel file, the link is lost in the word doc .  It is no longer linking to the excel.  can you tell me what i am doing wrong?
    Friday, July 19, 2019 3:31 PM
  • i copied an excel table and past special link in my word doc and then close and save the files.  when i reopen the word and exel file, the link is lost in the word doc .  It is no longer linking to the excel.  can you tell me what i am doing wrong?
    Friday, July 19, 2019 3:31 PM
  • It works fine from my end can you send us the screeshots what exactly you are try so, to make sure i was following the right steps from my end as well.

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Friday, July 19, 2019 5:26 PM
  • Hi,

As Sharath said, please provide detailed steps on how you create this link in Word or a screenshot if possible, so that we can test in our environment.

Here’s a reference for your basic troubleshooting. 

How to Insert Excel Data into Word Like Tables, Files, and Spreadsheets.

Best regards,

Chelsea Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Monday, July 22, 2019 2:00 AM
  • Hi,

Please remember to update this thread if you have any progress.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Chelsea Wu

Wednesday, July 24, 2019 1:51 AM