none
Auto reply preview in compose new message? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I posted this question in the main forum, and they directed me here as my organization uses Microsoft Exchange.  My question is:

How do I turn on the preview of someone's auto reply in a new message that I am composing to them?

Others in my organization are able to see this feature, but I am not.  When they compose a new message and the person in the TO: field is out of the office, they see a preview of their auto reply in the header of the email above the TO: field. 

I would like to enable this feature on my email as well for internal auto replies - but I cannot find anything to help me in doing so.  Does anyone know how to do this??

Thank you in advance!

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 4:17 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You're referring to a feature in Exchange called Mail Tips.

Please can you confirm that you are using a version of Outlook that supports Mail Tips; you should be using Outlook 2010 or later.

Also, there are certain scenarios where Mail Tips will not work. Please make sure that these do not apply to you:

• MailTips aren't supported when working in offline mode in Outlook.
    • When a message is addressed to a distribution group, the MailTips for individual recipients that are members of that distribution group aren't evaluated. However, if any of the members is an external recipient, the External Recipients MailTip is displayed, which shows the sender the number of external recipients in the distribution group.
    • If the message is addressed to more than 200 recipients, individual mailbox MailTips aren't evaluated due to performance reasons.
    • Custom MailTips are limited to 175 characters.
    • If the sender starts composing a message and leaves it open for an extended period of time, the Automatic Replies and Mailbox Full MailTips are evaluated every two hours.

More information can be found here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-GB/library/jj649091%28v=exchg.150%29.aspx.

Thanks.

Please mark as an answer if this answers your question

Mark Gossa

MCSE 2003, MCITP Enterprise Administrator 2008 R2, MCSA 2012 R2, MCTS Exchange 2010, MCTS SQL 2012, MCTS SharePoint 2007, VCP4, VCP5, CCNA

Blog: http://markgossa.blogspot.com   LinkedIn:

Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 4:27 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You're referring to a feature in Exchange called Mail Tips.

Please can you confirm that you are using a version of Outlook that supports Mail Tips; you should be using Outlook 2010 or later.

Also, there are certain scenarios where Mail Tips will not work. Please make sure that these do not apply to you:

• MailTips aren't supported when working in offline mode in Outlook.
    • When a message is addressed to a distribution group, the MailTips for individual recipients that are members of that distribution group aren't evaluated. However, if any of the members is an external recipient, the External Recipients MailTip is displayed, which shows the sender the number of external recipients in the distribution group.
    • If the message is addressed to more than 200 recipients, individual mailbox MailTips aren't evaluated due to performance reasons.
    • Custom MailTips are limited to 175 characters.
    • If the sender starts composing a message and leaves it open for an extended period of time, the Automatic Replies and Mailbox Full MailTips are evaluated every two hours.

More information can be found here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-GB/library/jj649091%28v=exchg.150%29.aspx.

Thanks.

Please mark as an answer if this answers your question

Mark Gossa

MCSE 2003, MCITP Enterprise Administrator 2008 R2, MCSA 2012 R2, MCTS Exchange 2010, MCTS SQL 2012, MCTS SharePoint 2007, VCP4, VCP5, CCNA

Blog: http://markgossa.blogspot.com   LinkedIn:

Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

• What you're talking about is known as "Mail Tips".  There are settings in Outlook for Mail Tips, under Options > Mail.

Are you an administrator?  If not, please ask your administrator if the settings in Outlook don't help.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

• Hi,

What is your outlook version?

Please confirm if you can view the mail tips on OWA.

You can try to upgrade your outlook to the latest version.

As the issue only occurs on one user, please create a new outlook profile to test.

Regards,

David 

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 3:19 AM
  • I am using Outlook 2016 OOF and it does show up when your composing an email as previously stated in this thread.  Also, I have a tip enabled for this shared mailbox and when both are enabled they both show up.  I tried to create a rule in Outlook and on our Exchange 2013 server but it doesn't allow you to reply to an email.

I only want the tip to show not the OOF to show up when a user is sending an email to the shared mailbox.  I want them to get the OOF message when they hit send.  

Any other ideas?

Exchange 2013 (build 1347.2)

Thursday, December 27, 2018 4:57 PM