none
Exchange 2013 Receive Connectors Error RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone,

I'm trying to setup an Exchange 2013 server to move off from 2007, but am running into an issue with the Receive connector.  The setup finished successfully and it looks like pretty much everything is ok, but in the ECP I get a "500 Unexpected Error :(  An error occured and your request coudn't be completed Please try again" when I select the receive connectors under the mail flow section.  All other areas seem to work fine in the ECP.

In the Event viewer I receive an Error Event ID:4

Current user: '***.local/Users/Administrator'
    Request for URL 'https://nb-exchange.***.local:444/ecp/ConnectorMgmt/ReceiveConnectors.aspx?showhelp=false(https://localhost/ecp/ConnectorMgmt/ReceiveConnectors.aspx?showhelp=false)' failed with the following error:
    System.Web.HttpUnhandledException (0x80004005): Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown. ---> System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.InvalidCastException: Unable to cast object of type 'System.DBNull' to type 'Microsoft.Exchange.Data.ServerVersion'.
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Management.DDIService.ServerPickerService.GetReceiveConnectorServerListPostAction(DataRow inputRow, DataTable dataTable, DataObjectStore store)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Management.ControlPanel.ReceiveConnectors.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
       at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.HandleError(Exception e)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest()
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStepImpl(IExecutionStep step)
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.HandleError(Exception e)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest()
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStepImpl(IExecutionStep step)
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)
    System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.InvalidCastException: Unable to cast object of type 'System.DBNull' to type 'Microsoft.Exchange.Data.ServerVersion'.
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Management.DDIService.ServerPickerService.GetReceiveConnectorServerListPostAction(DataRow inputRow, DataTable dataTable, DataObjectStore store)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Management.ControlPanel.ReceiveConnectors.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
    System.InvalidCastException: Unable to cast object of type 'System.DBNull' to type 'Microsoft.Exchange.Data.ServerVersion'.
    Flight info: Features:[[Global.DistributedKeyManagement, False],[Global.GlobalCriminalCompliance, False],[Global.MultiTenancy, False],[Global.WindowsLiveID, False],[Eac.AllowMailboxArchiveOnlyMigration, True],[Eac.AllowRemoteOnboardingMovesOnly, False],[Eac.BulkPermissionAddRemove, True],[Eac.CmdletLogging, True],[Eac.CrossPremiseMigration, False],[Eac.DevicePolicyMgmtUI, False],[Eac.DiscoveryDocIdHint, False],[Eac.DiscoveryPFSearch, False],[Eac.DiscoverySearchStats, False],[Eac.DlpFingerprint, False],[Eac.EACClientAccessRulesEnabled, False],[Eac.GeminiShell, False],[Eac.ManageMailboxAuditing, False],[Eac.ModernGroups, False],[Eac.Office365DIcon, False],[Eac.OrgIdADSeverSettings, False],[Eac.RemoteDomain, False],[Eac.UCCAuditReports, False],[Eac.UCCPermissions, False],[Eac.UnifiedAuditPolicy, False],[Eac.UnifiedComplianceCenter, False],[Eac.UnifiedPolicy, False],[Eac.UnlistedServices, False],],  Flights:[],  Constraints:[[LOC, EN-US],[MACHINE, NB-EXCHANGE],[MODE, ENTERPRISE],[PROCESS, W3WP],[USER, ADMINISTRATOR@],[USERTYPE, BUSINESS],], IsGlobalSnapshot: False

Internal email is not flowing as well so figuring this is related.

Anyone seen this and has any insite?

Thursday, June 13, 2019 3:22 PM

All replies

• What exactly and completely are you doing when you get this error?

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Thursday, June 13, 2019 8:06 PM
  • In the ECP I'm clicking on the mail flow then on receive connectors.

I can't attach an image yet apparently since I'm new here, but hopefully that helps.

Thanks,

Jon

Thursday, June 13, 2019 8:28 PM
  • I don't want to see an image anyway.  Text is best.

Go to the Exchange Management Shell and enter:

Get-ReceiveConnector

Post the results here.

What it looks like is one of your Exchange 2007 connectors might be corrupted, at least the Exchange 2013 server seems to think that.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Thursday, June 13, 2019 8:30 PM
  • Thanks Ed,

Here's my output

Identity                                Bindings                                Enabled
    --------                                --------                                -------
    NB-EXCH07\Default NB-EXCH07             {[::]:25, 0.0.0.0:25}                   True
    NB-EXCH07\Client NB-EXCH07              {[::]:587, 0.0.0.0:587}                 True
    NB-EXCH07\Internal Relay for Printers   {0.0.0.0:26, 0.0.0.0:1025}              True
    NB-EXCHANGE\Default NB-EXCHANGE         {0.0.0.0:2525, [::]:2525}               True
    NB-EXCHANGE\Client Proxy NB-EXCHANGE    {[::]:465, 0.0.0.0:465}                 True
    NB-EXCHANGE\Default Frontend NB-EXCH... {[::]:25, 0.0.0.0:25}                   True
    NB-EXCHANGE\Outbound Proxy Frontend ... {[::]:717, 0.0.0.0:717}                 True
    NB-EXCHANGE\Client Frontend NB-EXCHANGE {[::]:587, 0.0.0.0:587}                 True

Thursday, June 13, 2019 8:35 PM
  • Just make your changes in the shell, then.  I would expect to see the problem go away when you remove Exchange 2007.

Thursday, June 13, 2019 9:37 PM
  • Thanks Ed for the reply.

I can't remove the old 2007 server yet since email isn't flowing from the 2007 server to 2013 so nervous doing a complete cutover without having that as a safety net.  I can send fine from 2013 to 2007 however.

I receive a delayed response then a #550 4.4.7 QUEUE.Expired message

I can connect via telnet from my laptop or the Exchange 2007 server and send a test message just fine.

Thursday, June 13, 2019 10:02 PM
  • Under what circumstances do you get that delayed response and bounce?

Thursday, June 13, 2019 11:08 PM
  • Whenever I send a message to a user that's on the 2013 box from a user on the 2007 one.  I just have a couple test users over there right now until it's working correctly.
    Friday, June 14, 2019 1:26 AM
  • Hi,

From your description, we know that you cannot check receive connectors from ECP on Exchange 2013, but the command works well on Exchange 2013. Am I right?

Do you have any other ECP issues?

Can you check receive connectors from EMC on Exchange 2007?

Here are some suggestions that may help you fix the ECP issue:

1.  Recycle MSExchangeECPAppPool in Application Pools from IIS Manager. Application Pools > MSExchangeECPAppPool > Recycle.

2.  Run UpdateCas.ps1 and UpdateConfigFiles.ps1 from the exchange bin directory C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\Bin. 

iisreset /noforce

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, June 14, 2019 7:42 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Lydia.

I ran those and they successfully completed, but still the same issues.  

Only other ECP error I've noticed is Under Organization, Apps- I get and error.

Could not locate Client Access Virtual Directory with InternalUrl stamped for OWA,ECP service. Last server checked NB-Exchange (which is the 2013 box).  I can hit Ok then try to add an app however.

I do get an error Your request couldn't be completed.  Please try again in a few minutes.  under the Servers-servers area.  I'm able to still search for a server and it comes up fine.

Thank you!

Jon

Friday, June 14, 2019 3:56 PM
  • That behavior suggests a misconfigured receive connector on the Exchange 2013 server.  Did you make any changes to the Default receive connector?

Friday, June 14, 2019 6:48 PM
  • No I haven't made any changes to the receive connector, but have been able to look at the settings through Exchange Management Shell and ADSI edit so I know they're there.

Anything in particular I should look at or you'd like to see the settings for?

Thanks again for the replies!

Monday, June 17, 2019 3:37 PM
  • Do you have any other administrator accounts in your organization? You can log into EAC with other administrator accounts, and check if the issue persists.

What do you mean "under the Servers-servers area"?

Try to add an app with Exchange Management Shell on Exchange 2013. When we use EAC to manage our Exchange server, some commands are run in the background. If the same action is performed successfully with EMS on Exchange 2013, the issue may lies in the EAC side.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, June 20, 2019 6:27 AM
  • Thanks Lydia for the response!

I do have another Admin account that I've been testing with just to see if it was a user account issue.

In the EAC if you select Servers on the left hand side then the first option that is servers is what I was talking about.  I'm not too worried about the error I get there since I can still search for a server manually and then look at the settings for that server just fine.

I did try to add an App from the Office Store, but get Error:

Could not locate Client Access Virtual Directory object with InternalUrl stamped for OWA,ECP, service. Last server checked: NB-EXCHANGE.

Not sure if that's because I don't have that server published on the internet yet so it can't reach it?  If I could install one from a file or url I wonder if that would work, but can't find any to install that way.

I'm not too concerned with that yet unless you think it has anything to do with the Receive connector.

Thursday, June 20, 2019 5:37 PM
  • Hi,

Can you check receiver connectors with another Admin account in EAC?

The adding App issue is not related to EAC issue. Here is a similar adding APP issue: After CU5 upgrade, can no longer manage "Apps for Outlook" - Could not locate Client Access Virtual Directory object with InternalUrl stamped for service

We can focus on the issue that cannot management receive connectors in EAC. We noticed that you can run Get-ReceiveConnector successfully in EMS, please make sure you use the same account to log into EAC. So that we can make sure the account has the right permissions.

If you log into EAC with another Admin account which has the permission to management receive connectors, and the issue persists, please try to recreate ECP virtual directory:

Remove-EcpVirtualDirectory -Identity "<VirtualDirectoryIdParameter>" New-EcpVirtualDirectory -externalurl "<Uri>" -internalurl "<Uri>" -Server <ServerIdParameter> iisreset /noforce

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Monday, June 24, 2019 12:04 PM
  • I removed and recreated them using both Admin accounts and it does the same thing so no change.

I did just try this as well to see if the authentication should be set to Windows, but didn't change anything.

https://expert-advice.org/exchange-server/how-to-fix-exchange-20132016-cannot-login-ecp-or-owa-error/ 

Anything else to look at?

Thanks again for the reply Lydia!

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 1:12 PM
  • Hi,

Are all these admin accounts on Exchange 2007? Try to create a new admin account on Exchange 2013. Add the new account to security groups and role groups same as the built-in Administrator account.

What browser do you use? You can try with other browsers. Try to use Microsoft Edge or IE.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Friday, June 28, 2019 8:06 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if above information was helpful.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Wednesday, July 3, 2019 9:37 AM
  • Sorry Lydia for the delayed response, was on vacation for a week so getting back into this.

I have used Microsoft Edge, IE and Firefox for browsers to see if either of those would work better with the same results.

The admin accounts were created on our main domain server.  The Exchange 2013 server is not a domain controller so that would have to be a local account.  Is that what you're saying?

Thanks!

Monday, July 8, 2019 4:09 PM
  • Hi,

Can you provide more details about your Exchange 2007 and Exchange 2013 versions and windows server versions?

"create a new admin account on Exchange 2013" means create a new mailbox in Exchange 2013, and add the linked account to some security groups and role groups to make it work as an administrator. Also you can just create a new account in AD directly.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Wednesday, July 10, 2019 10:04 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Lydia!

I created another administrator account and Exchange 2013 mailbox with the same results.

The Exchange 2007 server is a Windows 2008 R2 both with all the current updates and service packs (Build 83.6).

The Exchange 2013 server is on Windows 2012 with all updates and CU 22 version (1473.3).  I just noticed that cu 23 is out so will be trying that, but if you have any other suggestions in the meantime let me know.

I did get a warning that the Exchange 2013 server is in a corrupted state when I was retrieving the version numbers.  It says that the property "AdminDisplayVersion": "SerialNumber property is not present."  I know I entered that in, but will try again to see if it's not taking or if there's a disconnect somewhere with that.  It does say it's licensed  under the servers/servers area in ecp so the serial# must have took.

Thanks,

Jon

Thursday, July 11, 2019 9:37 PM
  • We will wait to see if the upgrade can help you solve your issue.

Pay attention that Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.2 is required for Exchange 2013 cu23. You can check this articles for more consideration before the upgrade: Exchange 2013 CU23 ReleasedCumulative Update 23 for Exchange Server 2013

After the restarting your computer, make sure all Exchange services are running and check ECP again.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Monday, July 15, 2019 9:21 AM