none
Outlook 2010: Why Default To New .PST For Every Email Account Added? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Does anyone have any idea why Outlook 2010 defaults to the creation of a new Outlook Data File for every new email account added?

I support home users and as a result of this new behaviour their Document folders now have several Outlook Data Files in. Surely this makes recovery more complex?

And why are the Outlook Data Files now stored in the Documents folders where users can muck around with them?

To me it seems like a classic case of if it isn't broken why mend it!

Thursday, September 16, 2010 7:41 AM

All replies

• I don't work for Microsoft, but from person experience on the last item of why in the documents folder, you have no idea how hard it was to describe how to backup PST files that where located in hidden/system folders in previous versions.  Moving the PST files to the documents folder makes more sense because the documents folder should get backed up when someone suggests a wipe and reload of a system.  This way one doesn't end up with lost data if someone forgets to mention to grab the data from those hidden/system areas.

Does anyone have any idea why Outlook 2010 defaults to the creation of a new Outlook Data File for every new email account added?

I support home users and as a result of this new behaviour their Document folders now have several Outlook Data Files in. Surely this makes recovery more complex?

And why are the Outlook Data Files now stored in the Documents folders where users can muck around with them?

To me it seems like a classic case of if it isn't broken why mend it!

Thursday, September 16, 2010 11:57 AM
  • I think you've got a valid point there Steven. The downside may be that users can delete the PST files more easily with them being located in the Documents folder (although I haven't tried deleting an Outlook 2010 PST yet so I can''t say for sure that they can actually be deleted).
    Thursday, September 16, 2010 1:25 PM